THAT player we must sign

Pacavelli

I am wrting this with enormous enthusiasm for this upcoming season, It has been a while since I have been so excited to renew my season ticket down the Villa. Early days I know but what looks to be some shrewd signings from the gaffer has everyone buzzing. Jores Okore is a player I have followed over the past few seasons and when I seen Lambert swoop from underneath Mr Abramovich's nose to steal that one I was highly impressed. If youtube clips are anything to go by Helenius and Tonev look to be impressive acquisitions for the future and although Luna and Bacuna are almost unknown entities they have experienced the highest league in their countries on a first team football basis so that gives encouragement already.

Saying all that there is a nagging pessimism running down my spine and it will continue to run down each vertebrae until we sign at least one experienced head the players can look up to. Shay Given, Darren Bent and Stephen Ireland have experience yes but I am talking about a player who the players can really look up to who will surpass them still technically and professionally. That immediately rules Ireland out with professionalism, Brad Guzan has undoubtedly proven that there is no place for a keeper with Given's quality to be sitting on the bench and Darren Bent has already been surpassed by Benteke and Weimann and it seems the writing is almost on the wall for him. Regardless of these players I believe we need THIS PLAYER preferably in central midfield.

So what options do we have? Well we know PL is not going to spend big money on an older player, I think we would find it hard seeing him spend anything over the FREE valuation. Mathieu Flamini of Milan is reportedly available on a free transfer and that possibility is tantalising for me. I believe he not only has the leadership qualities but has already proven himself in the Premier League and we could do with a bit of both. Pablo Aimar and Keisuke Honda have already been told they can leave their respected clubs on a free so is there a possibility we could give them Ireland or Given's wages once they leave? Somehow I still think not. That leaves cheap options who have recently been released from their clubs, the likes of - Gary O'Neill, Phil Neville and dare I mention "Der Hammer" Hitzlesperger is also available. For me these would not cut where we are trying to go. Which leaves us with having to dip into Randy's pocket.

The main players who spring to mind would be Scott Parker, Victor Wanyama and our two old boys Jimmy Milner and Gareth Barry. Parker would be the instant stand-out character I believe we need. Wanyama would match both the criteria we are looking for and PL's policy of keeping it young but he also has a good deal of experience over the past 2 seasons and looks to be a good leader every time I have seen him play. Then there's our 2 old boys Gazza would be available on the cheap but are we still too aggrieved over him leaving us in our time of need? Same goes for Milner although a higher transfer fee would only begin to tempt the new man in charge. Reagrdless of who it is I think we definitely need it and it should be considered a MUST. I absolutely love Lambert's policy and pretty much every decision of I have applauded but every team needs this type of player in the dressing room and on the field. If there is someone I forgot I would love to hear suggestions because if anything gets passed through the grapevine I hope its the idea of getting this sort of player in before Arsenal away!

In Lambert We Trust

Good points mate, I agree with the crux of that. I think we could do much worse than to have a Merson type player on the field, who makes the game look easy, dictating from the middle. Great to have a calm old head after we take a lead. An old Italian or someone like that. I'm expecting the old cliché's about old player to come out, after a last pay day etc. it's not always true, some are proper professionals, who train properly and eat properly and give it their all on the pitch.

Good points mate, I agree with the crux of that. I think we could do much worse than to have a Merson type player on the field, who makes the game look easy, dictating from the middle. Great to have a calm old head after we take a lead. An old Italian or someone like that. I'm expecting the old cliché's about old player to come out, after a last pay day etc. it's not always true, some are proper professionals, who train properly and eat properly and give it their all on the pitch.

If we could get Gattuso in I'm sure Bannan would never be caught in possession again with the possibility of having to answer to him at half time :P .

Seriously though, I agree that type of influence is what we need but also with quality.

Yeah sure. I can't think of anybody who fits the bill off the top of my head. But someone who the youngsters could look up to in the dressing room when the chips are down, a calming, vocal influence on the pitch. Quality is important with the vast experience to go with it. All the young legs can do the work and he could keep the ball moving helping retain the ball much better, how often did we take the lead and not do that last season?

I think everybody would feel a lot more secure if Lambo goes out & buys even just one older head who could act as the glue to gel the whole team. I think a player of this magnitude would ideally be played in Central Midfield.

There are players out there who fit the bill but personally I don't want to revisit any of the previous past incumbents Barry or Milner. Scott Parker is definitely not the player he was so I would pass him over too. The cheap options that you mention are 100% a no go for me. Gary O' Neill? Do me a favour. Hitzelsperger? (see Milner & Barry above). Phil Neville does have great influence but his legs have gone & he will probably end up with a coaching role alongside Moyes at Old Trafford.

It may well be that a big player becomes available from one of the current top 4 once their incoming transfers have been settled but personally I belive that the ACM player will come from abroad & rather than have the experience we all crave will probably fit Lamberts current criteria of being young, vibrant, hungry & energetic.

I expect to see at least 2 more Midfield players to come in, either Praet, Belhanda or Murphy from Crewe.

However, ultimately I think Vlaar will still be considered the man most likely to act as the leader of our team once we conclude our incoming transfer deals.

Also, enjoyed reading your post & great to see you have such great passion for our claret & blue heroes. 

Edited by villa-revolution
  • Like 1

Well from those we've been linked with, Belhanada fits that bill at least in the type of playmaker role.

We do need someone in central midfielder who can get in the box and score aswell as setting up chances for the front three.

Delph-Sylla-Westwood did very well at the end of last season but don't see many goals from that three and CNZ is hit and miss but probably the only player in the squad who can play that role.

A signing like Belhanda could be the difference between mid table stability and a tilt at the top 6.

• Like 1

flamini plays too deep and would be wanting too much in wages, plus he has sort of evaporated after being so good with fabregas. hasn't shown the same levels here consistently enough.

if we play the same formation as the end of last season then the third, more advanced midfielder has been problematic for us, no-one has made it their own and someone of real class in that position for us could take us up a notch collectively. 

not convinced they have to be an old head though, gardner coudl emerge as that man. bacuna maybe or even tonev centrally. has PL bought helenius to play  there and not as an out and otu striker? he's certainly got great feet. there's not many older heads who coudl play there in the premier league either, as you need twice the legs in the prem than serie A for instance. totti has played on as a trequartista (the position we are on about, three quarters of the way up the pitch) but would be too slow for the prem in my eyes and he's a **** genius. 

i'd love us to have a proper talismanic number 10 too, i'm not saying i wouldn't, all i'm saying is one of the players PL signed or one of our academy lads could grow into that player. the ideal for me would be if gardner could make it his own, but that's just me being soppy i spose.

flamini plays too deep and would be wanting too much in wages, plus he has sort of evaporated after being so good with fabregas. hasn't shown the same levels here consistently enough.

if we play the same formation as the end of last season then the third, more advanced midfielder has been problematic for us, no-one has made it their own and someone of real class in that position for us could take us up a notch collectively. 

not convinced they have to be an old head though, gardner coudl emerge as that man. bacuna maybe or even tonev centrally. has PL bought helenius to play  there and not as an out and otu striker? he's certainly got great feet. there's not many older heads who coudl play there in the premier league either, as you need twice the legs in the prem than serie A for instance. totti has played on as a trequartista (the position we are on about, three quarters of the way up the pitch) but would be too slow for the prem in my eyes and he's a **** genius. 

i'd love us to have a proper talismanic number 10 too, i'm not saying i wouldn't, all i'm saying is one of the players PL signed or one of our academy lads could grow into that player. the ideal for me would be if gardner could make it his own, but that's just me being soppy i spose.

Nothing wrong with being soppy, besides we can all dream & I really hope Gardner blossoms into the player everybody at the Club knows he can be next season because he hasn't had any good luck at all so far to date has he?

A playmaker, an old fashioned No 10.Someone who an pick a pass out, and utilise Gabbys pace, Weimanns movement and Bentekes all round ability.

Would add 15/20 goals per season imho.

And probably score 10 or 15 himself. Hey Presto! 4th place, without even bothering to improve the defence.

Yeah we really need someone like belhanda, which would have been perfect for us really. I agree that this the spot that we actually need to spend some cash, get someone in who knows how to dribble, has some pace in him and can put in some goals. Would be massive. I really hope we get someone in there.

Still a chance of Popov happening right? Never seen him but he is supposed to be pretty good I guess?..

Lets assume that Benteke, Wiemann and Agbonlahor are going to be the starting front 3. Do we have room in the team for a number 10 to start every game ? I think playing 4-2-3-1 is fine against the weaker teams but I think we look more solid with 4-3-3 against the better teams.

I really think Belhanda would be absolutely ideal for us as he ticks so many boxes. He can dribble, he can score goals, he can create and has that bit of magic to do something unexpected. If we're attacking a game we can push him forward behind Benteke in a 4-2-3-1 and he is also versatile enough to fit into our 4-3-3 if we need to defend more ( and he does his fair share of defensive work which a lot of traditional number 10's don't tend to )

If we can't get him, I'd like someone like him that can fit equally well into both formations. Either that or find the next Arturo Vidal !

Edited by Biskitt

Â