Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

12 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

the more i think about it - what the hell was with that result against us on the first day of the season?! bizarre

Got caught a bit cold, heads probably already a bit gone cos of buendia and then definitely gone after Mings injury. Also Cash and Watkins missing 3 pretty golden chances. To be fair they also played well. It was a bit of a freak result.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

the more i think about it - what the hell was with that result against us on the first day of the season?! bizarre

We always lose at St James Park

Legit cannot remember last game we won up there.

Must be ages ago

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Got caught a bit cold, heads probably already a bit gone cos of buendia and then definitely gone after Mings injury. Also Cash and Watkins missing 3 pretty golden chances. To be fair they also played well. It was a bit of a freak result.

The scoreline massively flattered them, as noted by Alex Ferguson himself.

It perhaps highlights the importance of Emery's preparation. Those two injuries were to key members of the team, and two players that were perfectly adapted to our style of play. It was clear we had to rejig the shape without Buendia and lost his pressing. Then we lost the leader of our backline and had to throw in someone new to the team, new to the league, new to the country at the last minute.

The loss is totally understandable in the context of our high risk high reward approach, which then becomes insane risk when the preparation side of it gets so massively undermined.

Newcastle won't get such an easy ride next time. 

1 hour ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Apparently Wilson is out for six weeks and Botman not back until February. Not sure how much business FFP will allow them to do in January either. 

The league need to make sure they pass that motion to stop them from loaning in the players from the pif clubs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

The league need to make sure they pass that motion to stop them from loaning in the players from the pif clubs.

Yup. I think they can only take one player on loan in January (they already have Lewis Hall) but it would stink if they could effectively circumvent FFP and get hold of Neves or whoever they want from their FOUR SPL clubs.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2023 at 16:01, TheMelvillan said:

It was a perfect storm unfortunately:

- First game of the season in front of a raucous St James Park
- Playing a fully-fit Newcastle before the injuries and fatigue kicked in.
- Conceded early (we don't tend to recover points away from home in that situation)
- Mings injury after 25 minutes really impacted our style of play
- Torres dropped into possibly the worst situation for his first appearance
- Well in the game at 2-1 but the third goal meant we had to take even more risks and the counter was on all the time after that

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

6 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

- Conceded early (we don't tend to recover points away from home in that situation)
- Well in the game at 2-1 but the third goal meant we had to take even more risks and the counter was on all the time after that

more interestingly i think there's this weird cycle thing going on where we lose to newcastle at st james', newcastle lose to brighton, we batter brighton, the 3 of us are getting have done it for a couple of years now, we all have each others number in a certain fixture

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

more interestingly i think there's this weird cycle thing going on where we lose to newcastle at st james', newcastle lose to brighton, we batter brighton, the 3 of us are getting have done it for a couple of years now, we all have each others number in a certain fixture

Yeah, there's definitely something with us not being able to perform at our best against physical teams like Newcastle, Forest etc. away from home. We're probably not as likely to get fouls called in our favour. (This definitely was the case at the City Ground this season) And that means our style gets disrupted/we turn the ball over more often in dangerous situations. I'm happy to keep having Brighton's number though (interestingly, they seem to see us as a 'physical' team filled with 'bruisers' like Luiz and Kamara who won't let them play their A game! 🤣).

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

The biggest issue was the psychological affect of Mings injury. Everything after that is irrelevant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The biggest issue was the psychological affect of Mings injury. Everything after that is irrelevant.

Most significant, definitely. If Mings doesn't get injured I'm still not convinced we'd have won the game, due to other factors mentioned, but we'd probably have lost 3-2 or maybe have gotten a 2-2 draw.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

Yeah, there's definitely something with us not being able to perform at our best against physical teams like Newcastle, Forest etc. away from home. We're probably not as likely to get fouls called in our favour. (This definitely was the case at the City Ground this season) And that means our style gets disrupted/we turn the ball over more often in dangerous situations. I'm happy to keep having Brighton's number though (interestingly, they seem to see us as a 'physical' team filled with 'bruisers' like Luiz and Kamara who won't let them play their A game! 🤣).

I remember we did get an incredibly generous foul on Kamara (possibly Luiz, but think it was Kamara) in the first half, when he collapsed under pressure, receiving the ball from Martinez - leaving them with a one-on-one. 

Not saying the ref was good at all, but that was a very favourable decision that prevented it from going 2-0 even earlier. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Most significant, definitely. If Mings doesn't get injured I'm still not convinced we'd have won the game, due to other factors mentioned, but we'd probably have lost 3-2 or maybe have gotten a 2-2 draw.

True, the injury to Mings was a massive psychological and tactical blow.

I'd also say losing Buendia only days before the match upset the plan, our pressing ability and tactically everything went out the window. Not to mention our left side was weakened without Moreno and Ramsey who ripped them apart at Villa Park only months before... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In fairness they have so many injuries now that it might have just been a freak occurrence that is evening itself out

Another way of looking at it is they played too many minutes at high intensity last season and it's catching up with them now.

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In fairness they have so many injuries now that it might have just been a freak occurrence that is evening itself out

That wouldn't preclude them from having used PEDs to over perform last year, only to find that that has now the knock on effect of over stretching their bodies causing the current spate of injury.

I'd argue it makes it more likely.  Call me a conspiracy theorist, but Howe's got a track record for it, and Saudi definitely aren't above board in their dealings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

That wouldn't preclude them from having used PEDs to over perform last year, only to find that that has now the knock on effect of over stretching their bodies causing the current spate of injury.

I'd argue it makes it more likely.  Call me a conspiracy theorist, but Howe's got a track record for it, and Saudi definitely aren't above board in their dealings.

Nope i think its got legs to it tbh

I cannot see many of their players agreeing to taking anything performance enhancing even if the management suggested it. Too much of a stigma whether strictly legal or not.

What has happened though is that their identity is all about outrunning the opposition. Howe likes that. And is the reason why they are dropping like flies. They only play one way in that respect. So nieve of Howe when he is playing Champs League as well. 

Man city are about control. Liverpool are a mix of running and control.  And emery i guess is about controlling the midfield with the high line. And then slowing things down before bursting forward when the situation is right. 

You can play the Howe way in one off games. But not for 50 plus games . Doesnt matter if you are insanely fit. Injuries will happen as you are not at maximum energy and not mentally perfect striving for that extra 1 percent. 

• Like 1

Â