Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

7 hours ago, blandy said:

I'm guessing that most, if not all of them supported Newcastle before the take over. And if they did stop, what does it actually achieve? Basically nothing. It's a commendable but futile act.

What would you do if your employer was taken over by Saudi? would you resign? 

"Basically nothing" if only a small minority of NUFC fans stopped supporting, yes. But what if a majority of them stopped? Then it would no longer be a futile act, if only 25,000 fans went to matches rather than 52,000 and if merchandise sales such as shirts dropped significantly. But... I do see that in reality that's very unlikely to happen so I understand your post.

As for the employers scemario, it's an important point (your posts are very good, Blandy!) : > For me personally it may well be relatively easy as I don't have kids or a mortgage or a car, etc and have often quit jobs, too often really! :s But for lots of people it would be a very different situation from mine, especially after years at uni and student loans for that job. :s So I hope that the PIF/Crown Prince and Saudi Arabian businessmen won't start buying up more PL teams or companies. 

Edited by robby b
  • Thanks 1

My main reason for being against the Saudi regime (and its PIF) is its extensive abuse of women's rights, which is explained in detail by Amnesty. It's also addressed by Freedom Forward, for example:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/freedomforward.org/2020/05/15/saudi-arabia-violating-womens-rights/amp/

"In 2019, Saudi Arabia was ranked  among the worst places in the world to be a woman. While Saudi Arabia’s overall human rights record is abhorrent, such violations are exasperated exponentially for women. Many policies and practices endorsed and enforced by Saudi Arabia’s monarchy dehumanize women, leaving them vulnerable to extreme discrimination and abuse. Change is desperately needed, and Saudi Arabia must immediately end its violations of women’s rights" 

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Remember the LIV Golf court case where it came out there was evidence they were owned by people they'd previously denied. 

Why has that gone so quiet? Surely that's worthy of an investigation. 

Only presuming, but I'm guessing the case was brought by the PGA and they are now merging with the PGA so the court case has gone away.

If pdobably still support the club if a saudi arabia bought the club. But i certainly wouldnt be passionate about villa like i am now and any trophies we won id feel we didnt earn them just did a city which for me is a dog shit way to win things

On 20/08/2023 at 08:38, bobzy said:

Said it before, but the vast majority of Aston Villa fans would continue to support Aston Villa if we were in the same boat.

I wouldn’t. I hate the Saud family and The Al-Shaikh (descendants of Mohammad Ibn Abdul Wahab) family with a passion. They’re a bunch of extremist , racist, misogynistic, hypocritical neanderthals who are protected by Britain and America. As soon that protection goes they’ll be flattened and removed from power. 

Even their puppet scholars are starting to go against them. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I wouldn’t. I hate the Saud family and The Al-Shaikh (descendants of Mohammad Ibn Abdul Wahab) family with a passion. They’re a bunch of extremist , racist, misogynistic, hypocritical neanderthals who are protected by Britain and America. As soon that protection goes they’ll be flattened and removed from power. 

That protection isnt going anywhere. If it was you wouldnt have such a saudi influence on alot of things here. Its suprising as they so against LGBTQ and everything' they stand for. And this country is very pro. 

If anything they will control a lot more thingS.

30 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I wouldn't even know their names without googling and even then I'm not sure what id be googling or who owns or does what

I literally do not care about them, mean nothing to me, they'd be as random out of nowhere as wes and nas who even now I know a little bit about but not much, I don't know what the source of their money is, i know wes has a basketball team and nas owns a bit of adidas but beyond that...there's a company called fortress in the states who i think are an investment firm maybe?

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I wouldn't even know their names without googling and even then I'm not sure what id be googling or who owns or does what

I literally do not care about them, mean nothing to me, they'd be as random out of nowhere as wes and nas who even now I know a little bit about but not much, I don't know what the source of their money is, i know wes has a basketball team and nas owns a bit of adidas but beyond that...there's a company called fortress in the states who i think are an investment firm maybe?

I got laughed at because i didnt know who tom brady was.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I got laughed at because i didnt know who tom brady was.

to be fair dem that is a bad one ;) 

but the point remains, the idea that we'd turn our noses up and walk away from villa if certain individuals or nations owned our club - the reality is the vast majority of us wouldn't know who these people are just like the vast majority now don't know who our current owners are

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

to be fair dem that is a bad one ;) 

but the point remains, the idea that we'd turn our noses up and walk away from villa if certain individuals or nations owned our club - the reality is the vast majority of us wouldn't know who these people are just like the vast majority now don't know who our current owners are

I disagree on the brady part

It all comes down to if your interested in american sports. Im not into any NFL basketball etc so why would i know?

Ive heard of nba greats like jordna rodman etc but baseball ? Or NFL i dont think i could name one sinhle player

Similar how your not interested in saudi regime it dont interest you so why would you carr to learn about them?

The rest its hard to say but yeah i dont think as many would walk as they say

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I disagree on the brady part

It all comes down to if your interested in american sports. Im not into any NFL basketball etc so why would i know?

Ive heard of nba greats like jordna rodman etc but baseball ? Or NFL i dont think i could name one sinhle player

Similar how your not interested in saudi regime it dont interest you so why would you carr to learn about them?

The rest its hard to say but yeah i dont think as many would walk as they say

It's more surprising you haven't heard of him.

You're into football, so I presume a few other sports as well?

You know Tiger and Federer and Jordan and Bolt. Brady is on that level IMO.

Baseball doesn't have a current athlete of that level for me. Their legends are all old school babe Ruth characters.

I think it's easier to say you'd walk away from the club when the situation is hypothetical. PIF has significant holdings in Uber, Starbucks and EA: 3 companies where withdrawing your custom would make a difference, beyond just a comparative handful of Geordies.

It's hard to judge another person's 'price' when it comes to taking a moral standpoint. I didn't see too many walking away from our club when we had sketchy, opaque Chinese ownership - the biggest concern was the fear of getting money out of China. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Oh dear bruno guimares has had a pop at Newcastle fans who criticised them. These newcastle fans are absolute morons. They should be delighted where they are even if they are just buying success

To be fair, this was one prominent NUFC Twitter account tweeting something stupid, which was almost universally ridiculed. That account has been haemorrhaging followers since, and has finally deleted the tweet, claiming its intentions were misunderstood.

But yeah, some fans are morons.

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

I think it's easier to say you'd walk away from the club when the situation is hypothetical. PIF has significant holdings in Uber, Starbucks and EA: 3 companies where withdrawing your custom would make a difference, beyond just a comparative handful of Geordies.

It's hard to judge another person's 'price' when it comes to taking a moral standpoint. I didn't see too many walking away from our club when we had sketchy, opaque Chinese ownership - the biggest concern was the fear of getting money out of China. 

Moral standpoints like to be taken to extremes, which is a problematic thing in itself. For instance, I am all for people being against the saudi ownership of newcastle. But the same people likely voice their concerns while wearing chinese made clothing made with child labour (as do I). 

At the end of the day, you support the club - not the owners of it. If the world doesn't destroy itself, these clubs are likely to go on for hundreds of years. There will be various owners. But it's the 11 people on the pitch you support. No one else. 

1 hour ago, OzyBoy said:

To be fair, this was one prominent NUFC Twitter account tweeting something stupid, which was almost universally ridiculed. That account has been haemorrhaging followers since, and has finally deleted the tweet, claiming its intentions were misunderstood.

But yeah, some fans are morons.

What did it say

37 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

What did it say

It's been deleted now but something like "Is it too early in the season to start blaming individual players?", then a picture of Almiron, Joelinton, Bruno, and Burn.

They're now claiming it was misinterpreted.

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It's more surprising you haven't heard of him.

You're into football, so I presume a few other sports as well?

You know Tiger and Federer and Jordan and Bolt. Brady is on that level IMO.

Baseball doesn't have a current athlete of that level for me. Their legends are all old school babe Ruth characters.

I cant think of a more boring sport to watch than baseball.

Lets be real in the 90s NFL baseball etc was not that popular over here

Â