Christian Benteke

Kwan

If they get a point against Croatia they qualify. So if they don't loose that then the wales game becomes irrelevant so there would be no point him playing in that one and risking his fitness. My feeling is he might be on the bench for the important Croatia game.

Yes, which is pretty much the point that was being made in the first place.

Reading between the lines, all things being equal the beast should be available for us v Spurs.

If he does play for Belgium in the 2nd game of their qualifiers (apparently a possibility), then, barring injury, it means he will definitely be available to play for us against Spurs.

Benteke being called up by Wilmots and Bale being called up to Wales with an injury made me think - and made me have what I think is one of those good ideas I'm sometimes prone to.

There should be a simple rule that if a footballer has missed his most recent club game through injury within the past week, he can not come back from that injury in an international game.

Obviously special cases and club discretion could be added to the broader rule, but the general jist would be the above. Whaddya think. Sensible? It'd certainly add a level of objectivity to the club v country discussion.

• Like 1

For me I can totally understand why Benteke wants to be a part of this, the physios of both club and country, both Wilmots and Lambert will have been in discussion over it. I think him actually training with a competitive Belgium squad, rather than whose left at BMH. With the Belgian physio seeing him on Monday, it's obvious that he is doing some kind of training for them to think he has a chance to make it a week on Tuesday.

It will be interesting to hear PL press conference later anyhow.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

Benteke being called up by Wilmots and Bale being called up to Wales with an injury made me think - and made me have what I think is one of those good ideas I'm sometimes prone to.

There should be a simple rule that if a footballer has missed his most recent club game through injury within the past week, he can not come back from that injury in an international game.

Obviously special cases and club discretion could be added to the broader rule, but the general jist would be the above. Whaddya think. Sensible? It'd certainly add a level of objectivity to the club v country discussion.

no. It would be abused by the big teams as players would pick up the "injuries" that made them miss international duty. e.g. Liverpool are playing Palace this weekend could probably have Suarez and Gerrard "injured" and still win the game and then keep both away from international games the following week to keep fresh

• Like 1

no. It would be abused by the big teams as players would pick up the "injuries" that made them miss international duty. e.g. Liverpool are playing Palace this weekend could probably have Suarez and Gerrard "injured" and still win the game and then keep both away from international games the following week to keep fresh

Maybe evolve my initial idea to say if the player has missed his club's three previous games then. That would stop the Liverpools and Man Utds from fiddling the system in the manner you (quite rightly) suggested.

I'm on about addressing the genuine stuff where a club nurses a player for ages and then just as he's on the brink of coming back, his country nicks him, uses him prematurely and sends him back to his club with a setback.

I agree it should be changed, I read Laudrup today talking about Ashley Williams in similar situation and he was right sayign do the best for player and not Wales or Swansea.

I think international teams would do more tolerant to this if clubs werent conning them a lot with their "withdrawals"

I think international teams would do more tolerant to this if clubs werent conning them a lot with their "withdrawals"

Completely. It seems to be 'us against them' by using whatever the laws allow. Unfortunately for the clubs (i.e. the people actually paying the player), FIFA are on the countries' side because international football is where they get to generate revenue completely separate from the clutches of the clubs. They get to use the clubs' best assets completely freely!! Why on earth would they ever want to address the injustice. Ho hum.

Jesus BOF you either rule it out completely or you don't. What happens if Christian wants to play and we don't allow him, player becomes annoyed and it's bad for all parties.

• Like 1

Jesus BOF you either rule it out completely or you don't. What happens if Christian wants to play and we don't allow him, player becomes annoyed and it's bad for all parties.

First sentence of final paragraph was precisely for stuff like that. Take the intent of the post for what it's meant to be, rather than treating it like a final draft :)

I know what you mean & I'm not too happy about CB playing for Belgium next week (sorry Belgian Guy). I think it's a good idea but I don't know how well it would work in practice, once one player is allowed by his club they all would expecting the same if they really wanted to play. Secondly you could have players rushing back to make a club game so they can make an international game which could extend the injury even further. It's seems anyway that the national teams are always viewed as having the greater need, remember when Makelele kept getting called up to the French squad and when he didn't go it meant he'd be banned for games for Chelsea, and Mourinho compared him to a slave.

But thats good. We should do the same. I dont care about crappy international football, least of all some other countries. Besides it would end up being a positive, if top flight clubs started denying opportunities for their players to go waste time playing international football then national coaches could give those opportunities to lower league players.

win/win

you are aware that fans and players of other nations  stillconsider playing for their country a major thing. This attitude seems to be mainly in England which they dont care about international football

• Like 1

you are aware that fans and players of other nations  stillconsider playing for their country a major thing. This attitude seems to be mainly in England which they dont care about international football

Would you rather play for Villa or Ireland Zatman?

Would you rather play for Villa or Ireland Zatman?

There is no need to choose.

Ireland and Villa never play at the same time or against each other.

In all fairness I can understand Benteke wanting to go and be part of the Belgium squad. We on here think Villa are more important but we're not. I think we were saying that Benteke should stay at Villa because he will play more and that will increase his chances of being part of the Belgium world cup team. We cant have it both ways!

Â