Christian Benteke

Kwan

Nobody is irreplaceable.

Well whoever comes in should he leave has huge boots to fill

His goals practically kept us in the division

I think he is replaceable in one sense and irreplaceable in another.

He is replaceable because we will get a shed load of money for him and he hasnt lifted the team to unreachable heights. Aston Villa are more than capable of building a team without Benteke that comes 15th in the league.

However, i think he is somewhat irreplaceable because I don't think we will see a better villa player/player with as much potential for a very very long time.

Absolutely no problem with him going to Madrid for 25m. Get the deal done before a prem team comes in leaving him to rip us apart.

25m is a fair price. Lets get it over with and move on. I cant take 3 months of this. He clearly wants to go.

Even if it takes 3 months of you not being to take it, I'd rather keep him than take £25m.

It is not clear that he wants to go. It can be assumed that he is considering his options, some of which probably haven't even materialised yet.

Grow some!

The problem is having 25 mill to spend is all well and good but other clubs will know that and adjust whatever replacement players you have lined up fees accordingly

I'd rather be in our position and have a quality player than 30 mill in my back pocket having to find one

There will be very little value for money unless we find one for a couple of mill from outer mongolia

Thats football tho. We bump the price up because we know Athletico have 50m from Falcao. We will not be left short from a sale and therefore deserve the risk of other teams putting their player prices up for us.

Before we start telling spurs to 'jog on', there is every chance spurs know nothing of the article content.

Jog on, mirror.

very much this. Im sure Spurs probably have their eye on a different striker like Damaio.

We really need the Mirror as a banned source, I think their the paper who licked MON a*** during his time here and been bitter since we got rid of him

Absolutely no problem with him going to Madrid for 25m. Get the deal done before a prem team comes in leaving him to rip us apart.

25m is a fair price. Lets get it over with and move on. I cant take 3 months of this. He clearly wants to go.

Even if it takes 3 months of you not being to take it, I'd rather keep him than take £25m.

It is not clear that he wants to go. It can be assumed that he is considering his options, some of which probably haven't even materialised yet.

Grow some!

Grow some what?

Im not crapping myself that he is off. Its inevitable. if not this season, the next. Lets just get it over with and move on. Summer after Summer we make a complete arse of something and we very rarely go into a season having had a full productive pre-season. If the offers are there - get it done and lets move on.

Considering his options means that he clearly wants to go imo. Or at least, it means it does not definitely want to stay.

How is it clear he wants to go. Has been nothing from him, his agent or the famous source close to the plaeyr to indicate that

The fact that there has been nothing from him to put this to bed like he easily could. He has had plenty of chance to say I am not interested in a move. Even Lambert seems to have stopped saying he is going nowhere.

Misquoted or not he has definitely hinted that he is interested in a move and did do a long time ago merely weeks after he joined.

25m isn't enough.

30-35 for him and lambert can take us further more quickly if i'm to believe the hype. :ph34r:

Should he want to go its enough imo. But I am all for raping the hell out of clubs.

Why wouldn't we want to keep him for another year? To suggest that there's no difference between him leaving this summer or next is ludicrous; aside from the obvious plus of having his talents for another year, if he has another torrid year like he had this year + a good WC performance to go with it, we could be looking at £35m+ from the likes of Madrid, Barca, or either of the Manchesters. Rather than having to settle with a mediocre £20m bid from the cheapskates at Arsenal and Spurs. That alone should be motivation enough for Lerner to play hardball and keep him here, even if it's against his wishes... because once September 1 rolls around, Benteke, like Modric at Spurs, will be forced to suck it up and play another year or risk destroying his spot in the NT one year before a major tournament (and I don't buy the idea that this means nothing, players reputations have been forged entirely in the World Cup, just look at Luis Suarez)

Why wouldn't we want to keep him for another year? To suggest that there's no difference between him leaving this summer or next is ludicrous; aside from the obvious plus of having his talents for another year, if he has another torrid year like he had this year + a good WC performance to go with it, we could be looking at £35m+ from the likes of Madrid, Barca, or either of the Manchesters. Rather than having to settle with a mediocre £20m bid from the cheapskates at Arsenal and Spurs. That alone should be motivation enough for Lerner to play hardball and keep him here, even if it's against his wishes... because once September 1 rolls around, Benteke, like Modric at Spurs, will be forced to suck it up and play another year or risk destroying his spot in the NT one year before a major tournament (and I don't buy the idea that this means nothing, players reputations have been forged entirely in the World Cup, just look at Luis Suarez)

But you could easily say he could have a crap year and bomb. (I dont think he will btw - just saying).

I also think it would just be another unsettled player.

I totally get what your saying and do not disagree. I just can not see it happening. I think it would have already been sorted out if it was happening.

How is it clear he wants to go. Has been nothing from him, his agent or the famous source close to the plaeyr to indicate that

The fact that there has been nothing from him to put this to bed like he easily could. He has had plenty of chance to say I am not interested in a move. Even Lambert seems to have stopped saying he is going nowhere.

Misquoted or not he has definitely hinted that he is interested in a move and did do a long time ago merely weeks after he joined.

But he has spoken, through his agent, who said he was very upset by how the media had mistranslated and purposely distorted his responses to leading questions to imply that he wants to go.   i believe he said he would be happy to stay, would not agitate for a move unless all parties were happy and even referred to feeling indebted to Lambert.  How often does an agent slam papers for stirring up speculation about a big money move for their player?   He is definitely interested in moving to a bigger club down the road, but there is absolutely nothing but media speculation to suggest he wants to leave this summer.   We should not be trying to sell him quickly.

• Like 1

But he has spoken, through his agent, who said he was very upset by how the media had mistranslated and purposely distorted his responses to leading questions to imply that he wants to go.   i believe he said he would be happy to stay, would not agitate for a move unless all parties were happy and even referred to feeling indebted to Lambert.  How often does an agent slam papers for stirring up speculation about a big money move for their player?   He is definitely interested in moving to a bigger club down the road, but there is absolutely nothing but media speculation to suggest he wants to leave this summer.   We should not be trying to sell him quickly.

Exactly my point. Why did he not say - Not only did the papers misquote me, I would like to go on record and say that as far as I am concerned, i will not be leaving Aston Villa this Summer. There can not be any other reason than the fact he is well and truly open to a move this Summer.

If he feels he is so indebted to lambert, why not say = The boss says i am not for sale so I am not for sale.

Instead its the usual and cringe worthy 'misquotes' from both the club and the player.  

Edited by Woodytom

The same reason why when you're dating a girl, you tell a fitter girl that you're not sure if it's gonna last

and then you realise that the one you were dating was better in the first place but by then its too late lol

Grow some!

Grow some what?

Im not crapping myself that he is off. Its inevitable. if not this season, the next. Lets just get it over with and move on. Summer after Summer we make a complete arse of something and we very rarely go into a season having had a full productive pre-season. If the offers are there - get it done and lets move on.

Considering his options means that he clearly wants to go imo. Or at least, it means it does not definitely want to stay.

What ever it takes for you to be able to 'take' a few months of mere speculation.

Considering his options does not mean he 'clearly wants to go'. He might 'definitely want to stay' and be waiting for his agent to get him the best deal, but I think it's more probable he is happy to wait for all his options, including staying, before deciding.

It is correct that summers involving contract negotiations, purchases and sales, speculation and often downright rubbish about players are common for our club and most other clubs. I see no need for us to rush to accepting the first offers, just to 'get it done'. I'm not sure he will stay any more than it is 'inevitable' that 'he is off'.

• Like 1

Why did he not say - Not only did the papers misquote me, I would like to go on record and say that as far as I am concerned, i will not be leaving Aston Villa this Summer. There can not be any other reason than the fact he is well and truly open to a move this Summer.

If he feels he is so indebted to lambert, why not say = The boss says i am not for sale so I am not for sale.

Instead its the usual and cringe worthy 'misquotes' from both the club and the player.

He hasn't left or signed a new Villa contract yet so it is 'well and truly open' for him to move or stay this summer.

The player and club won't make the definitive quotes you want because they are still considering what options are currently open to them and what options may materialise over the summer. Making bold statements before decisions have been made is pointless and can be contradictory.

As inconvenient as it may seem, I don't see why we can't show patience while the player and club negotiate what is best for themselves.

Â