Christian Benteke

Kwan

I'd rather let Benteke go on strike for a year than accept £15m for a £40m player.

Agree 100% CON.... I think 30m is underselling him...we have to bear in mind the new money in the Prem this season... I mean we were all jittery about missing out on such a massive cash windfall if we got relegated & yet now we have survived we are on about selling our crown jewels for last years going rate? For me Benteke was a 30m player on last seasons pricing... that has to be more now surely especially if he goes to another Prem club...

If Carroll was 35m last summer Benteke, who is a better player, younger, higher strike rate, long contract etc surely has to be more like 40-50m this summer?

Edited by danceoftheshamen

I'd rather let Benteke go on strike for a year than accept £15m for a £40m player.

Agree 100% CON.... I think 30m is underselling him...we have to bear in mind the new money in the Prem this season... I mean we were all jittery about missing out on such a massive cash windfall if we got relegated & yet now we have survived we are on about selling our crown jewels for last years going rate? For me Benteke was a 30m player on last seasons pricing... that has to be more now surely especially if he goes to another Prem club...

If Carroll was 35m last summer Benteke, who is a better player, younger, higher strike rate, long contract etc surely has to be more like 40-50m this summer?

It's a ridiculous article by desperate London media who really don't like Benteke being in Birmingham.

We sold Downing for £20m last year. Nobody could say with a straight face Downing is worth £5m more than Benteke but you could say with confidence Benteke is worth twice as much as Downing.

Benteke was desperate to sign for us. He has three years on his contract. We hold all the cards. 

Here's another ludicrous and patronising headline.

The idea is to keep people thinking Villa is a "small club" that should accept tiny transfers for star players because £40m will be of no real use to us. 

Aston Villa's Christian Benteke wanted by Atletico Madrid as £20m ...
Mirror.co.uk-by John Cross-29 May 2013
Atletico Madrid are ready to test Aston Villa's resolve to keep Christian Benteke with a stunning £20million bid. 

What is "stunning" about £20m when Atletico Madrid just sold Falcao, whom Benteke is sought to replace, to Monaco for £50m. 

£50m - that is stunning. £20m is peanuts for a world class striker.

I'd like the club to either slap a price tag on him - £50m

Or a NOT FOR SALE sign.

At the moment with nobody saying nothing it will mean a whole summer of media trying to unsettle him

What's with all these rumours about atletico spending huge amounts of dosh anyway? They're broke. They're financially screwed and on top of that, they're not even getting most of the Falcao money. Benteke? Suarez? I sense lazy journalism.

Agreed, if he does leave this season I'd rather he go to Spain or Germany.

A bit like Falcao to Monaco then Real. Even for £30m he needs to be parked somewhere else first - unless we get £40m. If we got £40m anyone can have him.

I wouldn't accept anything less than 28m 

I know thats a big fee but surely it is still too low? Prem clubs are getting large amounts of extra cash now compared to the last few years & the "Bar" has not been set yet since this extra wealth came about.  To sell now for 28m for me would be crazy as surely fees, in particular fees between two Prem clubs, will no doubt rise accordingly?

I mean when you look at "Pre-new tv money fees for top strikers

A Carroll 35m

F Torres 50m

D Bent 24m?

Now we have with new TV money in place

Falcao 54m?

A Carroll Liverpool to West Ham 2013 15m

looking at just those to me it's clear that CB is somewhere in between Bent/Carroll & Torres/Falcao

But also he is under a long contract & only 22 so surely it has to be at least 40-45m?

A Carroll/D Bent (15-30m)...C Benteke (40-45m)....Torres/Falcao (50-55m)

That seems about right to me

He is surely hotter than Bent/Carroll but maybe not quite so hot as Torres was & Falcao is?

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

I wouldn't accept anything less than 28m 

I know thats a big fee but surely it is still too low? Prem clubs are getting large amounts of extra cash now compared to the last few years & the "Bar" has not been set yet since this extra wealth came about.  To sell now for 28m for me would be crazy as surely fees, in particular fees between two Prem clubs, will no doubt rise accordingly?

I'm pretty sure the club will hold out for more than £30m. Question is: would we sell for £30m or try to keep him for another year, and perhaps hold out for something even more astronomical?

That's where the hardball is at. This stuff in the papers is anti-Villa propaganda. They don't want to sell Aston Villa as a big club because it will damage the revenue streams of the existing big clubs.

E.g. Liverpool are now mid-table team. Next generation of fans could easily choose Aston Villa over  Liverpool, so they write this patronising garbage to turn them off.

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

I would be very surprised if Benteke goes this summer.First of all its WC year, and any change may affect his performances, and with Lukaku breathing down his neck that would not be a good idea, 2ndly as PL said, the teams interested n him this year will be interested next year, and if his improvements

i'll finish.

are maintained, bigger and better wll be interested, and 3rdly, what is he 22?, Yorkie moved at 26, how many of the very top teams have a 22 year old CF?

Bo , if i was his advisor, i would stick at Villa for probably 2 years and see how he develops, then Barca et al should be calling.

Â