Christian Benteke

Kwan

I do not agree with the view that Benteke does not want to play for us. That attitude and bad performances are not going to endear him to potential clubs, and it makes no sense after signing a contract extension in the summer.

Last season Benteke was injury-free and scoring in virtually every game, I imagine his confidence was very high, especially with the plaudits that were being given to the man. I think the injury did dent his self-confidence and he is currently going through a bad spell (Lambert did warn in advance that this could potentially happen). The injury may also be causing him problems which is not ideal. 

I also believe that his goal scoring record did mask some weaker aspects of his overall game last year. I am of the opinion that Benteke is more of a poacher type striker (like Bent) rather than a typical target man. But thankfully Benteke is young enough and has the potential to improve many aspects of his game to combine both.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

Why would a relatively minor injury dent his self confidence?? Not having a go GENT and I'm no psychologist but that doesn't add up.

I have not expressed myself clearly. The injury is not the sole reason for his lack of self-confidence or goal scoring form but it is the obvious instigator in my opinion. The injury did disrupt his excellent early goal scoring form, and I assume it has put a huge amount of pressure on Benteke to regain his scoring touch.

As I have aforementioned above, the injury may still be causing some discomfort to Benteke but I am purely guessing.

Tekkers just retweeted this:

villafansunited @VillaFansUnited 2h

Need to give @bentekechris20 some service, he gets chances, he will score and get back on form, that injury slowed him down! #avfc

Guessing he ain't happy with the team...?

Edited by TezzRexx

Who said that?

And I'm just presenting an opposing point of view to 'it's the service'.

You didn't really present anything there tbh.

Regardless of what kind of service Benteke gets (and I will agree it's been lacking), he should not be bullied off the ball by Rafael, who is three feet tall.

more like we have allowed teams to figure him out by playing long ball after long ball to him. Its very predictable and playing into other teams hands

Exactly both against Fulham and Manure we just lumped the ball up to him mostly straight down the pitch at head height and expected the guy to work miracles with it. He needs the ball to his feet or chest and Weimann and Gabby running past him to create chances. This has not happened often enough this season.

It might be worth remembering what Lambert said when the vultures were surrounding Benteke last season with a view to leaving the club:

Lambert said: "Christian is a top lad, but outside influences can be pretty dangerous for any player. He’s a 22-year-old with a man’s physique, but without yet having developed a man’s brain"

His recent form could be down to the fact that he is just 22 years old - 3 years younger than Clark, Albrighton and Herd, same age as Weimann and just a year older than Gardner and Baker - in just his second season in a top league, coming back from injury, struggling to find his form again in a poor side.

I think we put so much expectation on him, yet forget how young he is sometimes.

I thought against utd he improved a bit from previous performances but was still miles away from where he was last yr. I think a goal will boost confidence and get him, just needs that lucky strike or deflection.

Even when he was scoring this yr, he didn't look the best he can be, think his head is definitely turned and will be off.

Edited by mikeyp102

It might be worth remembering what Lambert said when the vultures were surrounding Benteke last season with a view to leaving the club:

Lambert said: "Christian is a top lad, but outside influences can be pretty dangerous for any player. He’s a 22-year-old with a man’s physique, but without yet having developed a man’s brain"

His recent form could be down to the fact that he is just 22 years old - 3 years younger than Clark, Albrighton and Herd, same age as Weimann and just a year older than Gardner and Baker - in just his second season in a top league, coming back from injury, struggling to find his form again in a poor side.

I think we put so much expectation on him, yet forget how young he is sometimes.

Clark and Albrighton is only a year older than him and Weimann is younger than him

It's not just about service though. Benteke actually needs to put some effort into his performances. It isn't just going to 'happen' for him, he needs to play like he did last season when he was creating chances himself and was actually involved in play.

It happens when you hand in a transfer request and force the team to triple your salary. Expectations are justified.

Clark and Albrighton is only a year older than him and Weimann is younger than him

My bad, you're spot on with the ages.  I got them a little mixed up, but I think the point about him being very young still is worth taking into account.

He's far from the finished article and is going through a hugely frustrating rough patch, but he'll get through it I'm sure.

It happens when you hand in a transfer request and force the team to triple your salary. Expectations are justified.

Think the payrise was on the table anyway, regardless of the transfer request IIRC.  He fully deserved his pay bump and arguably could've got more elsewhere.

Expectations of the hopeful are not the fault of the player going through poor form though.

Â