Christian Benteke

Kwan

The fact that Benteke is only on £20k pw with 3 years left on his contract rightly or wrongly is definitely our current negotiating ace up our sleeve.

If things do start getting nasty then it's Benteke who stands to lose the most.

I wouldn't wish to see him playing in the reserves if no deals transpires as this doesn't really help anyone but hopefully short or long term common sense prevails.

Being saying this since he handed in the transfer request, if the club see him as a £25m player surely he should be oaid accordingly, I agree a minimum of £70k a week but I would begrudgingly go the distance and cough up the 100k, easier typed than done though.

Conversely, if Benteke thinks he's worth £100k a week, the transfer fee on his head should be in line with that

His contract is for £20k, that's what he agreed on last summer. We've offered him a pay raise, but he apparently wasn't interested. That's fine, but he can't expect to be worth £100k a week or close to it and leave for less than £25-30m

For that to be true the reverse must also be true. If we think he is a top player and demand a big transfer if he leaves then we must also offer top wages to entice him to stay.

We don't have to offer him anything, he's under contract. He's perfectly entitled to do what he did in that case and opt not to sign a new deal, hand in a transfer request and see if he can get the money elsewhere. We offered him £40k a week, according to reports, he's the one who, apparently, thinks he's worth a lot more. Is he? Probably, but he'd likely have been offered another raise next summer anyway. We can't afford to pay him £100k a week though, but that doesn't mean we have to accept less for his transfer. His value to Villa is approximately £27.5m based on some crude maths I did earlier in the thread, but that's only his value if he is sold. While he remains at the club you don't have to factor in squad disruption, cost of a fee for a replacement or cost of wages for a replacement, most likely reducing any value to close to Spurs' line of thinking around £15m

We don't have to offer him anything but we can't expect him to happily stay if we value him as a £25m+ player (clearly we do) but don't offer him wages in line with that.

And, as I said, that's entirely his prerogative. I don't for one second buy that this is down to wages though. If it was, Spurs wouldn't be his preferred destination as they're not high payers

• Like 1

Being saying this since he handed in the transfer request, if the club see him as a £25m player surely he should be oaid accordingly, I agree a minimum of £70k a week but I would begrudgingly go the distance and cough up the 100k, easier typed than done though.

Conversely, if Benteke thinks he's worth £100k a week, the transfer fee on his head should be in line with that

His contract is for £20k, that's what he agreed on last summer. We've offered him a pay raise, but he apparently wasn't interested. That's fine, but he can't expect to be worth £100k a week or close to it and leave for less than £25-30m

For that to be true the reverse must also be true. If we think he is a top player and demand a big transfer if he leaves then we must also offer top wages to entice him to stay.

We don't have to offer him anything, he's under contract. He's perfectly entitled to do what he did in that case and opt not to sign a new deal, hand in a transfer request and see if he can get the money elsewhere. We offered him £40k a week, according to reports, he's the one who, apparently, thinks he's worth a lot more. Is he? Probably, but he'd likely have been offered another raise next summer anyway. We can't afford to pay him £100k a week though, but that doesn't mean we have to accept less for his transfer. His value to Villa is approximately £27.5m based on some crude maths I did earlier in the thread, but that's only his value if he is sold. While he remains at the club you don't have to factor in squad disruption, cost of a fee for a replacement or cost of wages for a replacement, most likely reducing any value to close to Spurs' line of thinking around £15m

that is true but then he doesn't HAVE to want to stay aswell then. you can't be mad on him because he is prepared to listen what other clubs have to offer then. 

We don't have to offer him anything but we can't expect him to happily stay if we value him as a £25m+ player (clearly we do) but don't offer him wages in line with that.

And, as I said, that's entirely his prerogative. I don't for one second buy that this is down to wages though. If it was, Spurs wouldn't be his preferred destination as they're not high payers

So what do you think his request is down to?

you can't expect from him that he stay's happy after villa thinks he is worth 40k/week for them.

"everyone sais it doesn't matter what he is worth for other clubs for us he is worth 30million" well at least pay him then a 30million price tag worth salary. 

that is true but then he doesn't HAVE to want to stay aswell then. you can't be mad on him because he is prepared to listen what other clubs have to offer then. 

I know that. He's perfectly entitled to do what he did. He's a professional with a career to think about. If I thought I could get four times my current wages elsewhere I'd have no problem moving. Regardless of the fact that I'm a writer and not a footballer, I don't actually think there's all that much of a difference. People need to realise it's a job for these guys

I think one of the most telling things  highlighted by Benteke's dispute is his paltry £20,000 per week wages. As Belgian Guy's dad points out if the rumours are correct that our Club value him  at £25M then surely he should have pro rata wages as a reflection of this.

I personally value Benteke at £35M minimum, thus £100k should be his minimum wage.

Had we paid that for him that logic works for me. Perhaps that's what we should be paying him in those circumstances. We didn't. He came as a <£7m striker who we took a chance on, who did well for one season and was offered an improved deal - as were others of the class of 2012 and they signed up.

If he wants that salary level and can get it elsewhere, the buying club need to pay the going transfer rate for a player of that calibre and any premium we decide to demand extra to compensate us for the fact we don't need or want to sell and will have to source and fund an adequate replacement.

Under no circumstances should we give a five-fold increase to a player who has a good season in the first year of his contract because he gets all L'Oreal on us.

I know the money in football is mad nowadays, but I can't help laugh when someone says a paltry £20k a week. I'd be content with that a year.

in terms of the modern football  20k/week is a joke for a player like Benteke

So what do you think his request is down to?

I think he's looking to move to the highest level club possible where he's still guaranteed a game. Spurs tick that box. There's no club higher up the pecking order at the moment that'd see him being a guaranteed starter. I also don't believe that's he's viewing Spurs as anything more than another springboard. He'll move there, get a hefty pay raise maybe to £65-70k, play every game, increase his value and desirability even more, then move off to a bigger club, double his money again and stay there for a while. From a clinical standpoint, it's exactly the right thing to do for his career, whether we like it or not... assuming it works of course - though he's not going to entertain the idea that it won't. That's not how people good at their jobs think

I think one of the most telling things  highlighted by Benteke's dispute is his paltry £20,000 per week wages. As Belgian Guy's dad points out if the rumours are correct that our Club value him  at £25M then surely he should have pro rata wages as a reflection of this.

I personally value Benteke at £35M minimum, thus £100k should be his minimum wage.

Had we paid that for him that logic works for me. Perhaps that's what we should be paying him in those circumstances. We didn't. He came as a <£7m striker who we took a chance on, who did well for one season and was offered an improved deal - as were others of the class of 2012 and they signed up.

If he wants that salary level and can get it elsewhere, the buying club need to pay the going transfer rate for a player of that calibre and any premium we decide to demand extra to compensate us for the fact we don't need or want to sell and will have to source and fund an adequate replacement.

Under no circumstances should we give a five-fold increase to a player who has a good season in the first year of his contract because he gets all L'Oreal on us.

he followed every step of that scenario its not his fault hes been false promised by tottenham.

you can't expect from him that he stay's happy after villa thinks he is worth 40k/week for them.

"everyone sais it doesn't matter what he is worth for other clubs for us he is worth 30million" well at least pay him then a 30million price tag worth salary.

That figure of £40k p/w is pure speculation. No-one knows what Villa offered the player. Considering we have players like Ireland & Bent on nearly double that amount, I'd be surprised if our offer wasn't at least £60k a week. Which isn't half bad for one good season a year after being on around 5 or 6 in Belgium. There aren't many clubs in the Premier League who would (or who can) pay a player £110k a week if the rumour is true that that's what he asked for.

The problem here is that there are too many unknowns. Too much speculation. We're all guessing and it's impossible to make accurate judgements based on hypothetical numbers.

• Like 1

I know the money in football is mad nowadays, but I can't help laugh when someone says a paltry £20k a week. I'd be content with that a year.

in terms of the modern football  20k/week is a joke for a player like Benteke

12 months ago it was a massive, massive raise for him, one he had no problem taking. It certainly wasn't a joke then. To play devil's advocate one could suggest that were it not for us signing him and paying him "a joke" £20k a week, he'd still be earning a fraction of that, rather than looking for £100k

• Like 1

I really don't understand the stick he has got.

We buy young, cheap players with something to prove and we pay them accordingly. Should we really be surprised that when they do prove themselves and other clubs come sniffing and can offer better prospects of success and far more money the players head is turned?

He isn't one of us and he didn't grow up loving Aston Villa. The truth is that just about every single one of us in his position would have their head turned. Personally, I'm disappointed in him for not giving us more than a year, sure I am, I think he should have given us more than that but ultimately I don't really blame him for wanting to make the most of his career, it is how we got him in the first place after all.

So far, he hasn't really done a lot wrong. He has formally requested a transfer and then pretty much kept his mouth shut and his head down, no bitching in the press. That could change obviously but I will judge him on that when and if it happens not before.

He has conducted himself as a professional even if we don't like what he has done. Compare that to the conduct of the two faced arse Downing who said he owed us (and did) and then was caught posing in a bar with a Liverpool scarf. Or compare it to the horrific attitude of Gareth Barry when we dared to want his market value from Liverpool, do people remember that newspaper interview he gave? Yet recently a lot of people were saying they would like to have him back. Milner, well he as with everything the lad does was the true professional.

Benteke is far from being as bad (so far) as Downing and Barry and although I'm disappointed in the outcome and in him I don't actually think he deserves the stick he is getting presently and put it down to just being a manifestation of same feelings in other people. We all know Benteke is special and it will hurt to lose him especially so quickly and after so many others in recent years.

The club wants to sign young, hungry players rather than misfits like Ireland and N'Zogbia so unfortunately it is going to bite us on the arse at times when we really get it right because those players are young and hungry.

Still I'd rather have people like Benteke for a year than Heskey for 4.

If he goes, he goes. We will move on and in Lambert I'm convinced (so long as he is backed) upwards.

So if we get the price we want he can go, if we don't he can stay. If the later happens and he starts playing up, then he will deserve stick but he doesn't particularly so far in my view.

B-E-A-U-TIFUL

• Like 1

tbh if u look at the facts at tottenham

he would there be the 1st striker (since defoe and aby are going away)

he would play with at least 2 national teamplayers(possibly 3)

he would get a reasonable salary that fits his worth

he would play in europe  league

he would be in his favourite league

tbh it would be a pretty logical step

I said this weeks ago. You can't on one hand claim to value a player at say 25m and then only offer them 40k a week. What 25m pound player earns 40k a week ?

You can't have it both ways, he's either a 25m player and paid like one or he's not.

Having said that, this isn't about what we can or have offered him at all. He wants to move to London. That much is clear

• Like 2

Â