Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

Bacuna did well at right back because of his energy added to the fact his appalling first touch (which is genuinely one of the worst I have ever seen, it's almost comical) wasn't under as much pressure in that position. His free kick taking was brilliant and arguably got us 6 points last season - on that basis I'd have him in the team ahead of Lowton.

Still, it doesn't say much for either - Hutton coming back and playing how a PL right-back should for the most part has shown us what we were missing in that position.

While Hutton's out I'd play Bacuna at RB and Lowton right midfield. Lowton is a good footballer, creative, good link up player and good crosser but his poor defending always looks likely to give a goal away. Shame Benteke's out as Lowton looks his best supplier of service. Bacuna is a better defender.

• Like 1

The Mirror ran an article the other week suggesting that Bacuna didn't get along with Roy Keane or something. Could be complete tosh of course but I suppose it's a theory.

Edited by Isa

Also, everybody is crying out for us to keep the ball and retain possession.

Bacuna is not the man for that job.

He works hard and can burst forward and chip in with goals. But he is ropey in possession. He isn't the kind of player who will do well at possession football.

• Like 1

To me he's a wide midfielder, but sadly he hasn't been played in that position. Back to basics 4-4-2 with N.Zogbia (or Richardson) and Bacuna on either wing and getting balls into the box for Benteke and Gabby (or Weimann) might be the way forward (at home at least), but the manager doesn't seem to want to do that.

Also, everybody is crying out for us to keep the ball and retain possession.

Bacuna is not the man for that job.

He works hard and can burst forward and chip in with goals. But he is ropey in possession. He isn't the kind of player who will do well at possession football.

We are never going to be anything other than a low-possession side under Lambert though so it is a moot point for now.

There is no ideal option when it comes to the Bacuna vs. Lowton debate as they both have qualities that the other completely lacks. However for me, I'm fundamentally concerned with whether a defender can actually defend. No amount of footballing ability makes up for the lack of the incapability in this regard.

Now Bacuna isn't a particularly strong defender but I still firmly believe he is superior to Lowton in this regard. Importantly this is enhanced due to his raw pace which enables him to recover even when he is caught out. Whereas Lowton has the mobility and reactions of a 35 year old in the Conference.

I always use the example but Kyle Walker is an example of a player who's pace has somewhat offset his lack of positional awareness. Not that I'm saying that Bacuna can therefore be as good as Walker but the principle is the same.

It's for this reason that I will always trust Bacuna to be less of a liability than Lowton has proved to be.

he had two superb games at RB and was then dreadful for the rest

he had some good games from wide midfield - but he is quite limited.

i'd still like to seem get some game time in midfield as he is fast and can score, but i would rather not see him in defence ever again.

he had two superb games at RB and was then dreadful for the rest

We all see things differently but I profoundly disagree. Before the end of season run, where [to a man] the entire team were abysmal (including the likes of Vlaar), I could count Bacuna's truely bad games on one hand - Fulham away, United at home and Newcastle (I think).

Edited by Isa