PFA Player of the year 2012/13

The_Rev

PFA player of the year and young player of the year  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who SHOULD win PFA player of the year?

• Gareth Bale
    • Michael Carrick
    • Eden Hazard
    • Juan Mata
    • Luis Suarez
    • Robin Van Persie
  2. 2. Who SHOULD win PFA young player of the year?

• Gareth Bale
    • Christian Benteke
    • Eden Hazard
    • Romelu Lukaku
    • Danny Wellbeck
    • Jack Wilshere

Just because Bale has been the best player in the league and also happens to be young, shouldn't mean he doesn't deserves to win both awards.  

Well I suppose the problem is the actual young player award allows for players 23 at the start of the season to be in consideration which is too old really.

It should be lowered to 21 and maybe introduce a newcomer or rookie of the year award as well.

Votes shouldn't be done until the season is over.

If Spurs get into the Champions League, Bale should win it, without question.

If Villa stay up, Benteke should get Young Player, without question.

There's plenty of games to go yet though, plenty of time for one of those players to really step it up when it REALLY matters, and the votes have already been done.. seems a little... wasteful.

There are two problems with that, it just skews votes towards the players who played well at the end of the season and it means that they have less time to organise the real reason they have the award (it's an excuse for a late season piss up) 

If you put personality to one side Suarez would walk the award.

I had this argument with someone.

They basically said if you're purely talking about footballing performance, he'd win, and that it was a shame that the biting incident would stop him winning (we weren't sure when the votes were made)

I disagreed. I said stuff like his racism, diving and biting should be taken into consideration.

If it was all off field stuff, then I could sort of agree. But all this stuff happens on the field. This is all part of his "footballing performances". 

Of course it should be taken into account.

Michael Carrick has been exceptional this season, but we all know the ones who score goals are the ones getting the prize and that's fair enough. Gareth Bale has been immense at times, and has 18 goals and 8 assists to his name. He has about 12 matches where he hasn't gotten a goal or assist. Suarez has 23 goals and 10 assists and he has carried a bigger impact in an inferior team. Robin van Persie has 23 goals and 13 assists thus far, which is only going to get better. 37 involvements to goals in 31 starts is pretty awesome. Bale is extremely fun to watch when he is on, but he also goes cold when he doesn't get a grip of a match, which happens from time to time. I would say Van Persie should nick this on sheer effectivity this season, he came with huge expectations and he has delivered. He had a cold patch recently, but still managed like 3 goals and 4 assists in 8 games. Not bad? He has 10 points more than Bale, and even though he is a striker we know players like Ronaldo had over 30 league goals for United playing mainly as a winger/free roamer in the middle just like Gareth Bale. Van Persie has virtually won the title for Man Utd, when a lot of the other attacking players have had a bit of a cold season. Nani, Young, Valencia, Rooney etc have all been pretty average for various reasons and that makes it even more impressive. All in all, extremely close and since this is based on personal votes I guess Suarez is going to lose out, naturally. Between Van Persie and Bale, I guess Bale nails it as he was red hot when the votes were cast and Van Persie was not so much. I find it hugely idiotic that the votes are done when 15 or so games are yet to be played. If it was done right about now I would have understood given it takes time to finalize ceremonies, trophies, voting systems et al - but if votes were taken now Luis Suarez would obviously not win it and rightly so.

My player of the year list:

1. Robin van Persie

2. Luis Suarez

3. Gareth Bale

4. Michael Carrick (no flair, but a level of consistency one cannot avoid praising)

5. Juan Mata

6. Eden Hazard (should not been on the list at all, he is going to be insanely good but this season he has been up and down)

Young player of the year list:

1. Gareth Bale (obviously)

2. Christian Benteke (great season in a very poor team)

3. Romelu Lukaku (pretty much the same player as Benteke)

4. Eden Hazard

5. Jack Wilshere

6. Danny Welbeck (an effective player in terms of winning games and creating chances, but fails to make huge impression as he doesn't score enough)

Chimp Boy will win both I reckon. The London media will see to that!

Our Benteke has a chance at the Young PFA and frankly deserves it for all those goals for such a shite side as ours!

If I was handing out the award and Saurez won, it'd hand it to him with one of those dog trainer's arm pad things on.

I think that'd be amusing. 

12352_610619315644955_551824369_n.jpg

Yeah.. just like that..

I am right that PFA POTS is voted for by the other footballers and managers, right?

How popular is Suarez with the other players. All Man Utd players will be gone straight away after the Evra thing, can't see many of Everton's players voting him either. I don't know who actually votes, but I really can't see Suarez having enough friends - or rather has too many enemies - to get the votes, regardless of his footballing achievements.

Voting here suggests about the same as my prediction : 1st Bale - 2nd van Persie - 3rd Saurez. And the Liverpool fans kicking off that it's a massive FA conspiracy to put RVP above him - even though RVP has pretty much won Utd the league (although Carrick has been their stand-out, consistent performer).

Edited by Qwpzxjor1

If you put personality to one side Suarez would walk the award.

I had this argument with someone.

They basically said if you're purely talking about footballing performance, he'd win, and that it was a shame that the biting incident would stop him winning (we weren't sure when the votes were made)

I disagreed. I said stuff like his racism, diving and biting should be taken into consideration.

If it was all off field stuff, then I could sort of agree. But all this stuff happens on the field. This is all part of his "footballing performances". 

Of course it should be taken into account.

I agree it should all be taken into account and I assume it is. However, all that aside I think he has been the best player in the league this season over the 34 games or so. Van Persie had been in woeful form after Christmas (I reckon he will win it though) & I just dont feel Bale has been as good as him, if it wasn't for some absolute belters he'd be an also ran compared to the other 2 but a definite 3rd.

Â