Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

The Defoe link just makes me smile! In the past I would have been worried, but I just don't think that PL would be interested.

However, there does seem to be a few clubs interested in Benteke, so at least we should be able to force the price up to silly levels if we do sell.

As for Capoue, I would love him here. There are always links to bigger clubs, bu that is probably just agents stirring things up. Will we get him? Nah!

McGeady? I thought MON had left!

I must be the only villa fan that would take Defoe and money ( Hopefully alot otherwise i'd reconsider ) for Benteke.

Can't see it happening anyway so may aswell dismiss it. Defenders please ? Yawn...

Really??? -_- Defoe is dog shit... exactly the same as Bent (Who we are trying to sell)...... We have been burnt in the past with player exchanges so I doubt we will be doing one with such an important deal for the club... If we do sell Benteke, should really go after Bony again!

I think it's kind of amusing that people brand Defoe as shit, and then go on to portrait Paul Lambert as a genious - even though Defoe played 34 games for the 5th best team last season scoring 11 goals. Lambert has two seasons in the Premier League, 12th with newly promoted Norwich and 15th with Villa, not exactly setting the world on fire with 47 goals scored and 69 going in at the wrong end.

No matter how we look at things, we shouldn't be so naive to think we are too good for Defoe (even though I do understand the fact that Spurs could have gotten CL with a better striker in their squad). Defoe played 2410 minutes last season, scoring 11 goals, one every 219 minutes. Thing is, would Defoe want to come here? Why would he go down 10 notches in the table to play for a side that has been woeful for the past three seasons flirting with relegation? I appreciate the thing Lambert is trying to do here, but I see very little evidence of us doing any better next season with the budget and players we are operating with. I guess most people will try to bring out the fact that we did well the last 15 games or so, but hey, Liverpool-fans called, they wanted their blind faith for next season back. How many games did Wigan win last year when they managed to stay up, I guess it's pretty close to what we got now and the table never lies as the season lasts for 38 games.

I am not saying Defoe is my favorite player or a player that I really want on our books (we have Bent already mind), but to say he is shit and that he isn't good enough is seriously delusional given the miserable state of our club.

1) He is old and shit

2) He doesn't fit into our style of play

3) He's being paid far too much for us

For all those reasons, Lambert wouldn't take him. I never want a Spurs reject at Villa again

No one has said Defoe is not good enough, it goes totally against the team PL is trying to build. He does not want players coming to VP, to just think about a pay cheque.

Indeed. Though Defoe is past his best, he does have a very similar talent to Bent, scores goals but offers absolutely **** all else. He would not fit in with our style of play at all, he's certainly no "replacement" for Benteke, should such a thing be possible.

• Like 1

No one has said Defoe is not good enough, it goes totally against the team PL is trying to build. He does not want players coming to VP, to just think about a pay cheque.

Indeed. Though Defoe is past his best, he does have a very similar talent to Bent, scores goals but offers absolutely **** all else. He would not fit in with our style of play at all, he's certainly no "replacement" for Benteke, should such a thing be possible.

Exactly. And to add to that, it would mean having to watch Benteke playing for Spurs. Ugh. He can do so much better than them. At least go to a CL side and preferably outside the PL if you're going to go at all.

Defoe is nowhere good enough to replace Benteke.

Hence why they are offering cash. I would be reluctant to take Rose. Good player but strikes me as a bit of a c**k. probably doing the lad an injustice.

I must be the only villa fan that would take Defoe and money ( Hopefully alot otherwise i'd reconsider ) for Benteke.

Can't see it happening anyway so may aswell dismiss it. Defenders please ? Yawn...

Really??? -_- Defoe is dog shit... exactly the same as Bent (Who we are trying to sell)...... We have been burnt in the past with player exchanges so I doubt we will be doing one with such an important deal for the club... If we do sell Benteke, should really go after Bony again!

Defoe is not dog shit and is better than Bent in the that he scores a whole range of goals (bar headers). He was in and out of the team last year and bagged 19 goals so he is clearly not shit. I would have him, but I do not want him.

Can we stop talking about Spurs reject exchanges please!

We are not too big or good for them you know. Spurs are well and truly ahead of us by light years at the minute and whilst their fringe players don't exactly go with what seems to be our current plan, they would easily get into the team on talent alone.

Edited by Woodytom