Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

The Mirror article says Lambert is scouting Belgium and Holland for players. I wonder if he's gone across there this evening? The Belgian Cup and Dutch Cup are both on tonight.

Brugge v Genk (Benteke's previous club) (7:45pm) and AZ Alkmaar v PSV (5pm). If that report is true then he could be at one of these.

These teams have players which I think would be interesting fits for us:

Brugge:

Maxime Lestienne, 20 yo Left Winger, 12 goals and 8 assists this season.

Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe, 24 yo Central Midfielder, almost moved to Everton last year.

Genk:

Kalidou Koulibaly, 21 yo Centre Back

Jelle Vossen, 24 yo Forward, 16 goals and 5 assists in 25 league games (Benteke's old strike partner)

AZ:

Adam Maher, 19 yo Attacking Midfielder, 7 goals and 5 assists in 30 league games (Club have said he's going to be sold this summer - linked with almost all the top 6 sides in the PL. Unlikely for us)

Nick Viergever, 23 yo Centre Back. Alkmaar Captain. One international cap.

Jozy Altidore, 23 yo Forward,  23 goals in 32 league games

PSV:

Georginio Wijnaldum, 22 yo Attacking Midfielder, 14 goals and 5 assists in 32 league games

Jurgen Locadia, 19yo Forward, 6 goals and 4 assists in 14 games.

The Mirror article says Lambert is scouting Belgium and Holland for players. I wonder if he's gone across there this evening? The Belgian Cup and Dutch Cup are both on tonight.

Brugge v Genk (Benteke's previous club) (7:45pm) and AZ Alkmaar v PSV (5pm). If that report is true then he could be at one of these.

Brugge:

Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe, 24 yo Central Midfielder, almost moved to Everton last year.

Genk:

Jelle Vossen, 24 yo Forward, 16 goals and 5 assists in 25 league games (Benteke's old strike partner)

AZ:

Adam Maher, 19 yo Attacking Midfielder, 7 goals and 5 assists in 30 league games (Club have said he's going to be sold this summer - linked with almost all the top 6 sides in the PL. Unlikely for us)

Jozy Altidore, 23 yo Forward,  23 goals in 32 league games

PSV:

Georginio Wijnaldum, 22 yo Attacking Midfielder, 14 goals and 5 assists in 32 league games

I'm pretty sure Lambo & his staff will already be diligently familiar with all the potential that the above mouth watering prospects have to offer to our great old club.

If we were to sign only one of them & he turns out to be only half as good as Benteke then he'll still be magnificent.

Yes please to all on that list you have kindly compiled. Greedy or what? :)

this club needs so much its difficult to know where to exactly start, plus we need a chairman thats actually going to spend money instead of a chairman who only goes back to america to tell his gun welding mates that hes owns an english football club

~ back up goalkeeper (if shay leaves)

~ back up RB (lichaj isnt very good)

~ CB to partner vlaar

~ CB to be the actual partner of the above when sicknote vlaar is out with a chipped nail

~ LB somebody with some strength at least (does lowton have a twin brother maybe?)

~ AM to replace the departing stan

~ target man in the mould of benteke but cheaper to replace bent as second fiddle

for all of the above, i dont know who to suggest...

I'm pretty sure Lambo & his staff will already be diligently familiar with all the potential that the above mouth watering prospects have to offer to our great old club.

If we were to sign only one of them & he turns out to be only half as good as Benteke then he'll still be magnificent.

Yes please to all on that list you have kindly compiled. Greedy or what? :)

Haha yes. I just enjoy watching some of the other leagues and looking for players that could work for us.

Maher, Altidore and Locadia all scored in a 2-1 AZ win.

Anybody think we could get Siem De Jong from Ajax? Personally think he is maybe out of our range but there were some big rumours about him going to Newcastle so presuming that was possible I could see no reason why we couldn't get him.

He's been quoted as saying he wants to leave Ajax for either the Premier League or the Bundesliga but only to a team that tries to play football and utilizes the midfield.

He's 24, so relatively young still but is also Ajax's captain so has a decent amount of experience.

The Newcastle rumours floating around were pricing him at £9m so he'd definitely be a marquee signing if we could get him in.

Anybody think we could get Siem De Jong from Ajax? Personally think he is maybe out of our range but there were some big rumours about him going to Newcastle so presuming that was possible I could see no reason why we couldn't get him.

He's been quoted as saying he wants to leave Ajax for either the Premier League or the Bundesliga but only to a team that tries to play football and utilizes the midfield.

He's 24, so relatively young still but is also Ajax's captain so has a decent amount of experience.

The Newcastle rumours floating around were pricing him at £9m so he'd definitely be a marquee signing if we could get him in.

I thought it was Luuk De Jong who Newcastle were after.

I thought it was Luuk De Jong who Newcastle were after.

They were linked with both.

Brugge:

Genk:

AZ:

Jozy Altidore, 23 yo Forward, 23 goals in 32 league games

PSV:

Slight detail, but it's not the same Brugge. The players you mentioned are worth tracking though.

Guzan

Lowton   Vlaar   Dragovic  Bennett      

Westwood Delph

Weimann    De Jong    Agbonlahor

Benteke

Would look like quite a nice little team.

New left back and a new midfielder in that team and I would be happy with our starting 11.

Add to that Backup Keeper, Finnbogason to backup Teke, a winger to backup Weimann/Gabby, Murphy to backup De Jong and I would be ecstatic but I'm not sure we'll see that much movement on players coming in.

Slight detail, but it's not the same Brugge. The players you mentioned are worth tracking though.

Woops! Horrible oversight on my part hahah. I'll have to change my lists! Thank you for the info.

There are 5 prime attacking midfielders likely to be on the move from their current club in the Eredivisie this year.

Siem De Jong of Ajax whom you mention.

Christian Eriksen Ajax

Adam Maher of AZ

Georginio Wijnaldum of PSV

Marco Van Ginkel of Vitesse

De Jong and Eriksen are definitely leaving Ajax. Eriksen is bound for a Champions League team. De Jong I think just wants to go somewhere where he'll be paid well and valued within the team. I don't doubt that we could get a bid accepted for about £9m but whether he'll come to us rather than somewhere like Bayer Leverkeusen or Liverpool I don't know. I suppose you don't know until you try!

Whatever happens there'll be a vacuum at Ajax in the attacking midfield position which is where Maher, Wijnaldum and Van Ginkel fits in. One of them is definitely going there, Maher is the likely option, probably moving for around £9m. That would likely leave Wijnaldum and Van Ginkel around on the market to be had. Both of them would be great in our squad, I'd be happy with either. Wijnaldum can play out wide or behind the striker and Van Ginkel can sit in a midfield two or slightly further forward. Both are technically gifted.

The usual youtube links for both:

and Marco Van Ginkel

Unfortunately it seems we're going to have to wait for the Champions League teams to figure out who they're buying before these smaller transfers become viable. There's a good article here by Rafael Honigstein which explain how most of the summer transfers are waiting for a few key attacking transfers to go through.

I absolutely agree with you though. These are the type of players I think we should be targetting. Proved themselves in "less challenging" leagues and are hungry to make the step up and available for around £8m.

Edited by Wes
  • Like 1

Good shout on Wijnaldum, would be a good signing. I doubt Maher would come here considering the hype he is getting, but fun fact is Markus Henriksen got the fan award over there so he might have stolen some of the hype around him. Do wonder though, henriksen was proper shit over here and for the national team but I guess he has done pretty good there. 

Same goes for altidore, I bet he fancies himself as a top striker right now and I doubt he would like to be a backup for benteke.

Kazenga LuaLua? Looked pretty good playing for brighton when I watched them and he is like 21 years old. Would be good sub player to switch around for with gabby. 

As someone mentioned in the last window, what about our old player Forrester? He looked really good for Brentford when I watched him in his last match and people have being talking about him for some time. Would be the right timing imo to get him back. 

I do hope we get some creative midfielder going on, someone like Nzogbia, just without the mistakes. Can you imagine that? Would be a top player 

I can't see Wijnaldum wanting to join us as I would say he would fancy a bigger club than us. Van Ginkel might be an option, but I can also see bigger teams being in for him.

I fear you're right. Unfortunately for us one of the key positions we need to upgrade in, attacking midfielder, is also heavily sought after by a lot of teams around the continent who are currently much more appealing than we are. The market could be dry of those kind of players before we even get a look in.

Kazenga LuaLua? Looked pretty good playing for brighton when I watched them and he is like 21 years old. Would be good sub player to switch around for with gabby.

Don't know much about him to be honest. I doubt he leaves if Brighton get promotion or that Poyet would want to lose him at all but if he can be bought for a nominal fee and fits the mindset of a Lambert player he sounds on your recommendation like a nice a pickup. You're right though, we definitely need to get someone who can come in for Agbonlahor and Weimann on either side of Benteke other than N'Zogbia from time to time.

Yann-Erik de Lanlay is a hot name over here i Norway, just came a new article about him over here. Honestly haven`t watched him that much but might be a good buy. Besides, you can get talents pretty cheap over here unless they play like ronaldo. Probably around 2 million, maybe a little bit less. Dunno, just would like to throw that out there. I am very excited about what Lambert is gonna bring in, we need a couple of players this window, not 1 or 2.

Adam Maher is a very good player. Last season, him and Jozy altidore were the reason why AZ finished top of the table. This season Maher got injured and AZ went on a long run of poor form and Altidore was getting no service. I would really like to have him here.

In Altidore's defense, he's quite a different player than he was when he was at Hull

That's not to say he'd do great here or even in the PL, but it's a night and day difference in his play

We don't need to replace Bent! 

All these can play ST: Benteke, Gabby, Weimann, Delfonz, Bowery, Burke, Drennan.  

Delfouneso isn't good enough.

I'd also rather not rely on Bowery or Burke / Drennan.

If Bent does go we need another striker.