Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

If we were going to look in the Dutch league I wish we could have had some anticipation and gone for Bony. 

Was it Bony who we went for before we signed Benteke but his club pulled the deal?

Yep, was going to be a loan last season then a permanent transfer but his club then bottled it.

Still think we need an attacking midfielder. It appears Lambert feels the same but we have been priced out of our initial targets (Belhanda? and Kiyotake). I imagine shifting the deadwood (Given, Ireland and Bent) will facilitate a signing.

If Benteke does go, then obviously he will need to be replaced also. I imagine Lambert will prefer a strong, physical striker (after the success he's had with Holt and Benteke). Lacina Traore? Kolbeinn Sigþórsson? Castaignos is an interesting link. 

Finnbogason scored 24(?) League goals for Heerenveen last season, good hold up play, great shooting technique, very fragile though and nowhere near as strong as somebody like Benteke. He is still decent in the air though, but not a player we could expect to launch balls to.

My question is whether we will play the same as last season, pumping high balls up and relying on Benteke's physical presence, or keeping things on the floor more trying to create threats using other players.

I assume the latter, mainly because of the whole 'number 10' talk and us buying the likes of Tonev.

Finnbogason also has 2 years left on his contract and I definitely see him moving up to a bigger league (most probably the Prem), probably this Summer (Sunderland linked with him too). Heerenveen only signed him for €500,000 so anywhere around €5,000,000 would be great profit for them.

If we are going with the method of bringing an 'in the hole' player to link play, then he would be a great option to replace Benteke as our main striker.

I think it is worth remembering that any upcoming, hard-working striker from Europe with a decent goal tally is going to be linked with us now.

Edited by samjp26

Unsure if Castaignos would be mentally up to task. Lacina Traore would be interesting, replacing our big really bad person with an even bigger really bad person (6'8"/203cm!), but he just moved to Anzhi Mekkalekkahimekkahideeho last season for (supposedly) pretty big money and has been averaging something like a goal every other game, so seems improbable.

• Like 1

From my limited knowledge and YouTube watching. Neither of those two look any good. Limited technical ability.. look similar to Bent.

Traore on the other hand... beast and he's quick with technical ability... more like benteke. Just want to keep the big fella one more year. Hold out for 30 mil.

We were linked with Lacina Traore when he was at Cluj and that would have been the time to get him. Think Anzhi spent €18m on him and he'll be out of league wages wise now too.

If Benteke does go, I do think we should try and get a replacement with similar physical characteristics if possible. Finnbogason and Vydra ( not too sure on Castaignos ) do look like good players but not sure how well they'd be suited to be the focal point of the attack like Benteke is

Very doubtful.

First Bent, Ireland, Given and probably Benteke have to leave.

Yes, but sooner or later we are going to have to look at things if these are still around. Lambert will want all his plans in place by the time the season kicks off.

I cant see anybody touching Ireland with a barge pole, Givens wages and age are another stumbling block on shifting him, so that leaves only Bent out of those three that may be gone any time soon.

We may have offers for other players to come, i.e Bannan, but I think sooner or later we need to push on with our own plans.