Michael Owen to retire

Kingfisher

Of all the trophies he won and goal scoring feats he achieved. Owens greatest accomplishment remains his 1998 triumph against all the odds to win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year despite being born without one.

Haha, yeah. Didn't realise the truth of this until I saw a BBCWS Football Focus interview with him: "Yes, I always knew I was special, blah blah blah Liverpool blah blah". Boring as **** and not a little bit up himself.

• 4 weeks later...

If I have to sit and watch him and Shearer on MOTD next year I'll top myself.

Or not watch.

Could go either way.

Be a suicidal move for their ratings, not like the bbc to make mistakes  :)

Shame no one really spoke about his retirement like they did Neville and Scholes. Good player on his day. Injuries really ruined a potenital world class player (if he wasn't close at one point).

From 1998 to 2001 he was world class. He should never have left Liverpool but having done that he should have fought for his place at madrid instead of moving to newcastle. Horrific run of injurys destroyed what should have been the prime of his career.

I think it hasnt been mentioned as much is that he has been in semi-retirement since about 2007.

He was devastating on his day but that was a very long time ago, I know a lot of people actually blame Houllier for damaging his hamstrings when at Liverpool as he relied on him that badly

I think it hasnt been mentioned as much is that he has been in semi-retirement since about 2007.

He was devastating on his day but that was a very long time ago, I know a lot of people actually blame Houllier for damaging his hamstrings when at Liverpool as he relied on him that badly

I certainly think his career would have been far different if he had come through a Manchester academy rather than a scouse one.

Too much too young. Football's equivalent to Michael Jackson. Without the plastic surgery and court cases.  I just can't wait for him on MOTD next season, he will be so interesting.Then along with Shearer and Lineker they can all makes jokes about scoring goals. Oh the humanity.

Too much too young. Football's equivalent to Michael Jackson. Without the plastic surgery and court cases.  I just can't wait for him on MOTD next season, he will be so interesting.Then along with Shearer and Lineker they can all makes jokes about scoring goals. Oh the humanity.

I never thought anyone could be as dry as Lawro but he's gonna get some serious competition for being driest pundit! BEWARE LAWRO!

Benteke has scored as many league goals in his first season here than Owen did in any season of his career.

Yes which surprises me. He did come close to 20 league goals in a season 4 times and did get 28 goals in a season twice. His body failed him, he played too much when he was younger. Shame because he was a top striker.

Â