Michael Owen to retire

Kingfisher

Always liked Owen, even though he played for liverpool. Great goal scorer. Really shame about all the injuries. And that goal against Argentina '98 showed at least to me that he was quite technical gifted. The controlling of the ball and then with ease sending it up in the top corner. If it wasn't for a stupid ref England would've at least gone to the semi finals that year.

Seems like I'm Michael Owen's defender in chief in this thread, but I think he has been extremely clear on multiple occasions in the past about how important family life is to him. He still lives in the same area now as he grew up in, he bought houses for his entire family in the area and he commuted from there to Newcastle in a helicopter so he wouldnt have to move house when he was on the books of the Geordies.  He isnt going to suddenly up sticks and move half way around the world at this point in his life, is he? 

Can't stand the arrogant slime.

Indeed. Which makes every argument you make against the fella sound like it comes from personal bias rather than at least a token attempt to be objective about things. He must be shit because you don't like him. Okay.

Do you not think he's a horrific player, well short of Premier League standards right now? Players who won the Ballon d'OR around the same time as him: Zidane, Rivaldo, Figo, Ronaldo, Nedved, Shevchenko.

Aged 17-23, seriously good player.

Aged 24+, curse of injuries not his fault at all, waste of time as a player though.

Horsey Owen fact: He's made an unbelievable (well it would be to most people, probably not to him) amount of money selling bad racehorses to silly footballers who buy them off him because he is also a footballer.

He is incredibly dull on TV, but I can't understand why people can't accept his star shone very brightly for a few years and give him credit for that instead of just moaning about their perception of his character, like they know him personally. 

If it wasn't for a stupid ref England would've at least gone to the semi finals that year.

Are you serious? In the quarters england would of played a very good dutch side with bergkamp, kluivert, van der sar etc.

In the semis they would of played a brazil side with ronaldo, rivaldo and co.

both on paper and in terms of actual performance england were not even top 10 in what was the last decent high quality world cup.

If it wasn't for a stupid ref England would've at least gone to the semi finals that year.

Are you serious? In the quarters england would of played a very good dutch side with bergkamp, kluivert, van der sar etc.

both on paper and in terms of actual performance england were not even top 10 in what was the last decent high quality world cup.

Well we dealt with that Dutch side pretty convincingly at the previous Euros in 96 :)

that was 2 years earlier. the dutch in 98 were a better side backed up by the fact that they got to the semis and took brazil to a penalty shoot out. plus in 96 they had a racial split in the camp and infighting.

that was 2 years earlier. the dutch in 98 were a better side backed up by the fact that they got to the semis and took brazil to a penalty shoot out. plus in 96 they had a racial split in the camp and infighting.

People expected the Dutch to beat us in 96. We weren't exactly short of quality in 98 with players like Shearer, Owen, Sheringham, Scholes & Beckham. I don't think it's in anyway unrealistic to say we could have reached the semis if the Argentina game had gone our way. Although I'm sure we would have still been knocked out on penalties!

He was all pace, when that went he had little to fall back on except for his deadly finishing.

Not the worst attribute to 'fall back on' if you're a striker
No but it took his edge away, he was still premiership quality, possibly still is. The mind is probably still willing, but the knees are shot, and there ain't nothing he can do about it.

Ok, at least was a bit ott. But a really good chance. England dominated Argentina before Beckham got sent off and would probably have won that game. And then against Holland I think they had every chance to win that game. But definitely top 10 that cup.

Edited by Pelle

England were comfortably in the top 10 in the world in 98, on paper at least. Campbell, Adams, Ince, Beckham, Scholes, Sheringham, Shearer and Owen. An exciting mix of old and young talent there. The defence in particular was potentially outstanding. 

He really never should have done that brochure though.

it didnt ruin him but it did ridicule him to many football fans. i think its one of reasons his credibility gets questioned

Â