Michael Owen to retire

Kingfisher

I would be stunned, repeat stunned if Manchester United were the club who offered Michael Owen the biggest wages when he was a free agent in 2009.  

You're right, MON probably offered him the most money : )

I think it's highly disingenuous to say Owen went to Man U for an easy time. I think he went because he fancied the challenge and still believed he could get fit and win trophies. 

I mean in the sense that there was never going to be any pressure on him to be the main goalscorer at the club. If he had joined us, or Everton or Spurs or some other mid tier club then there would have been expectations on him that he might not be able to meet because of his injury problems. After that injury in 2006 (and arguably before that during his time at Newcastle) then he would struggle to play 90 minutes a week 45-50 times a season.  At Manchester United he was primarily going to be used as an impact player which no doubt suited him fine.   Maybe saying he went there for an easy time was a poor way of describing things, but Manchester United could put Owen in a situation which very much suited him. 

Hasn't he already said his injurys were caused by rushing back from a hamstring injury in 2001. The worst thing he did was join newcastle though. What the **** did he do that for.

I agree, Voinjama. It would seem he was more motivated by money than love of the game when he joined them.

I read somewhere recently (can't remember where so no link sorry) that he has said he saw football as purely a job his whole career, never really loved the game.

was an interesting comparison on the radio with Ryan Giggs that he was able to adapt when he lost his pace, I think Owen probably could have if he had the application and been in a slower tempo league

Can't stand the guy, comes across like a total prick every time I see or hear him on anything.

Has such a high opinion of himself, hate the way he's constantly tweeting Sky just so they mention him on air. He really believes he's up there with some of the best players ever, he's not. Loved him getting shunned by every Prem team this summer and ending up at Stoke where he's been literally the worst player on the pitch every time he's made an appearance.

He's going to be appearing on football coverage a lot more now which is very disappointing.

You can't argue with his effectiveness prior to 2003, he was a big threat, but he has been finished since 2003, ten years ago now. Lost his pace and was shown up for the limited footballer he is. 

Never liked the sound of this article either. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/builder-in-dispute-with-michael-owen-found-dead-6172093.html

Great player in his day, ruined by injuries.  Only Liverpool and England ever saw the best of him, but for a period of six or seven years (shall we say 1998-2005?) he was one of the best strikers in Europe. He was getting niggles by the time he signed for Real Madrid but the injury vs Sweden in the 2006 world cup was horrendous.

http://youtu.be/NyI_gXOE2bw

I cannot begin to imagine how much that hurt. He was never the same player after. 

For experience I can tell you it hurts, a lot!

As for Owen, one of the best strikers England have had, as others have said injuries robbed him of the scoring record. Now we have players like Danny **** wellbeck!

Can't stand the guy, comes across like a total prick every time I see or hear him on anything.

Has such a high opinion of himself, hate the way he's constantly tweeting Sky just so they mention him on air. He really believes he's up there with some of the best players ever, he's not. Loved him getting shunned by every Prem team this summer and ending up at Stoke where he's been literally the worst player on the pitch every time he's made an appearance.

He's going to be appearing on football coverage a lot more now which is very disappointing.

You can't argue with his effectiveness prior to 2003, he was a big threat, but he has been finished since 2003, ten years ago now. Lost his pace and was shown up for the limited footballer he is. 

Never liked the sound of this article either. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/builder-in-dispute-with-michael-owen-found-dead-6172093.html

Gerting shunned? And you have proof of this?

His move to stoke makes sense from his point of view, the location at the end of his career. He's not going up sticks or spend the week away from his family is he? I'd bet my mortgage that he had quite a few offers on the table.

Has such a high opinion of himself, hate the way he's constantly tweeting Sky just so they mention him on air. He really believes he's up there with some of the best players ever, he's not.

He's got one of these:

6MI9Bfb.jpg

You have to be pretty good to have won one.  

• Like 1

Has such a high opinion of himself, hate the way he's constantly tweeting Sky just so they mention him on air. He really believes he's up there with some of the best players ever, he's not.

He's got one of these:

6MI9Bfb.jpg

You have to be pretty good to have won one.  

He sure was in 2001 yep, still thought he was the biz at 30, despite turning out shite performance after injury after shite performance. Look at the names on the winners list next to him though, he's not fit to lace their boots.

Can't stand the arrogant slime.

Seems like I'm Michael Owen's defender in chief in this thread, but I think he has been extremely clear on multiple occasions in the past about how important family life is to him. He still lives in the same area now as he grew up in, he bought houses for his entire family in the area and he commuted from there to Newcastle in a helicopter so he wouldnt have to move house when he was on the books of the Geordies.  He isnt going to suddenly up sticks and move half way around the world at this point in his life, is he? 

Can't stand the arrogant slime.

Indeed. Which makes every argument you make against the fella sound like it comes from personal bias rather than at least a token attempt to be objective about things. He must be shit because you don't like him. Okay.

Even with all those injuries at Newcastle he still scored something like 40 goals in 80 games for them. They way they talk about him you'd think he barely completed a game up there. 

• Like 2

Seems like I'm Michael Owen's defender in chief in this thread, but I think he has been extremely clear on multiple occasions in the past about how important family life is to him.

At the risk of being accused of maligning a persons character without providing evidence (I'm not about to get myself or VT in trouble by posting something slanderous), I have it on pretty good authority that his family hasn't always been the most important thing for him. As evidenced earlier in this thread, he has a very good legal advisor.

It's not his fault he got injured so much.  Even at Utd he scored in a cup final, the winner in a Manchester derby and a Champions League hattrick.  He really was a fantastic goalscorer, he just didn't have the technical ability to make it in another role once his lost his pace, not that the injuries allowed him the chance anyway. 

Edited by sharkyvilla

Â