Man Utd v Real Madrid Champions League 2nd Leg

andykeenan

It wouldn't surprise me. I spent ten minutes looking for an post match interview but couldn't find one.  Mind you, I only found reports from the Mirror (shit) the Guardian (seems somebody phoned it in) Sky Sports (more concerned with the forthcoming Champions League games both sides were playing in midweek) and the BBC (Fergie wasn't talking to them) so I can't say for sure. Rio Ferdinand definitely wanted him sent off though, he was right in the referees face. He was outspoken in the opposite direction last night. 

Last night the ref had about 3 minutes before he brandished the red card. I agree he only had the benefit of seeing it once but he had time to mull it over, discuss it with the other officials, gauge the response from both sets of players, the effect it would have on the match etc before deciding Nani's punishment.

99.9% of people watching that match expected it to be a yellow card or less.

Are you actually serious?

You think if someone is sent off or not should be judged partially on the effect it would have on the match? That says it all, you have no clue. If someone is sent off or not has nothing to do with the effect it will have on the match, or even the response from the players, all it has to do is the laws of the game.

99.9% expected a yellow or less? You must have took math at the same place they taught SHA's accountants, because there's a far bigger split than that. And people who actually look at the incident objectively, and not based on ridiculous metrics like if it'll effect the match, are quite clear that it's a red card offence.

The arguments against the red card seem to be "he wasn't aware of the player" or "it ruined the match" both of which are entirely irrelevant and should be completely dismissed. Actually no, I lie, that he wasn't aware of the player shouldn't be dismissed, it actually makes the incident worse.

I didn't know about that Eboue sending off.

Extremely similar to the Nani one.

Those same players who wanted Eboue sent off in that clip were having a go at the ref last night. Typical hypocrisy.

I didn't know about that Eboue sending off.

Extremely similar to the Nani one.

Those same players who wanted Eboue sent off in that clip were having a go at the ref last night. Typical hypocrisy.

Exactly that's why I have no issue with last night

Good call ref. Utd can **** off they reap what they sow

As for SAF no show, disgrace

Anyone know if Collina had a radio link to the officials last night ??

Yes, I want to believe this ridiculous conspiracy theory.

Colinas name contains the letter A, the sign of the illuminate, coincidence? I don't think so

http://youtu.be/jH5t58FCs3k

Just to continue flogging the dead horse, was this worthy of a red card?  Judging by Rio Ferdinand's actions in the video, he seems to think it was. 

It's not the same though is it?

Eboue would have known Evra was there, and appears to deliberately stick out his leg intending to make contact.

Now I'm of the opinion that Nani's was a red by the letter of the law (even though I still think it was harsh to see him go), but to say those incidents are identical is wrong.

The red card certainly had an impact, it allowed space for Alonso to be more creative but also for Modric to roam the midfield. However, I can't see why their defence (under more pressure) gets a free pass. If that was Clark or Delph charging out like Carrick we'd have rightly lambasted them for poor defending.

Going a man down shouldnt have made that big a difference, 441 with 1 up front, as chelsea did against barca last year

Not sure if you're serious.

This suggests that if they HADN'T have had a man sent off, United would have played 4-4-2 and left both strikers up front when they were defending 1 goal lead against one of the best teams in the world without either striker helping out in defence.

Just because Chelsea (admirably) managed it once, doesn't mean every team who ever goes down to 10 men shouldn't be affected by it.

Last night the ref had about 3 minutes before he brandished the red card. I agree he only had the benefit of seeing it once but he had time to mull it over, discuss it with the other officials, gauge the response from both sets of players, the effect it would have on the match etc before deciding Nani's punishment.

99.9% of people watching that match expected it to be a yellow card or less.

Are you actually serious?

You think if someone is sent off or not should be judged partially on the effect it would have on the match? That says it all, you have no clue. If someone is sent off or not has nothing to do with the effect it will have on the match, or even the response from the players, all it has to do is the laws of the game.

99.9% expected a yellow or less? You must have took math at the same place they taught SHA's accountants, because there's a far bigger split than that. And people who actually look at the incident objectively, and not based on ridiculous metrics like if it'll effect the match, are quite clear that it's a red card offence.

The arguments against the red card seem to be "he wasn't aware of the player" or "it ruined the match" both of which are entirely irrelevant and should be completely dismissed. Actually no, I lie, that he wasn't aware of the player shouldn't be dismissed, it actually makes the incident worse.

:lol:

Ok, its a slow morning so I'll dive in.

1) Yes I'm serious

2) Yes, in a very high profile game which is poised so carefully as this one the referee should give a small amount of consideration to the effect on the game. If it is 100% certain then he has to go. If there is a reasonable amount of doubt then he should apply some caution in case the tie is ruined for the estimated 200m people watching. See the Carling Cup Final Villa V's Utd. Often referred to as "common sense".

3) If 22 highly charged players don't feel the need to get all excited about it then it might be an indication that the referee's first instinct might be wrong. Back to point 2).

4) Of course, I have not surveyed many of the 200,000,000 viewers so you'll have to bare with me. I am basing it on what I saw and heard at the time. What I think you are doing is basing an opinion on dozens of replays, discussions, debates and data. AT THE TIME, very few people expected that card.

5) I doubt anybody associated with small heath went to the University I did.

6) The fact it has been debated on TV, radio, the interweb is a sign it might not be "clear that its a red card offence".

according to Ray Houghton he said on TV in Germany that they said it was a definite red card and UEFA have backed the official as well. I for once actually agree with Ray Wilkins that on the continent more than likely that be a red card

2) Yes, in a very high profile game which is poised so carefully as this one the referee should give a small amount of consideration to the effect on the game. If it is 100% certain then he has to go. If there is a reasonable amount of doubt then he should apply some caution in case the tie is ruined for the estimated 200m people watching. See the Carling Cup Final Villa V's Utd. Often referred to as "common sense".

So you're using a really shit decision which everyone accepts was a really shit decision as your evidence that a debatable but possibly justified decision shouldn't have happened?

That's a bit odd. 

http://youtu.be/jH5t58FCs3k

Just to continue flogging the dead horse, was this worthy of a red card?  Judging by Rio Ferdinand's actions in the video, he seems to think it was. 

I'm not sure I agree with your logic.

For a start the two incidents are different in that Eboue could or should have seen the player and seemingly sticks his leg out for no reason in the direction of the player. In the case of Nani the player is behind him, he clearly doesn't see him because he risked breaking his own leg, had he seen him I doubt he would have done that and he is trying to play the ball not sticking a leg in the air for no reason.

So the two examples are totally different.

As for the player reactions, players react often in a false way to try and gain an advantage for their team. I hardly think it is a barometer for if something is a foul or not, lots of Real players were at the ref over Nani but it doesn't automatically mean that they thought it was really a red card. In fact some of them looked a little surprised that it was.

Â