The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

There was a make of amp years ago called "HH" , I played with a number of musicians who used that kit. One of the amps had "VS" on it claiming that it sounded like a valve amp . Best bass amp I ever played with was a Peavy with Black Widow speaker - ever come acrosss that stuff ?  One bass player had a Fender Bassman rig and a pre CBS Fender Precision. Main problem was ....... he was crap. Dropped bum notes in 3/4 time numbers; and to make matters worse he was from London !!   

Played my first gig for a few years last night. Was quite hilarious but lots of fun. My drums fortunately emerged from years of garage storage with zero issues, didn't even need tuning!

We had the perennial issues of false starts with several songs, and then the usual "how do we end this song?" bemused glances. But most of the night went well and everyone had a great time.

• Like 4

On 09/10/2022 at 16:14, Xann said:

Yarp.

Though the valve vs solid state thing is something that I was told about 30 years ago, by Ron at the Synthesiser Service Centre.

He repaired Eno's kit, you don't tend to forget that sort of info.

Nice to see someone's gone some way to empirically proving it.

This goes into HiFi too. Lots of snake oil there.

The valve vs solid state was very much a thing early on before MOSFET transistors were introduced in amps, IMO. Early transistor-based preamps (60s/70s) tended to deliver a harsh sawtooth or square wave when overdriven, whereas tube preamps delivered a smoother sine-wave. In the 70s, I hated the overdriven sound of any transistor-based amp I tried.

My first MOSFET-based solid state guitar amp (a Sessionette 75 - early 80s) had the fattest overdrive sound I've ever experienced with a humbucker-equipped guitar. it couldn't produce the shimmering overtones of a single-coil pickup like a Telecaster, though.

Today, I think there's no real discernible difference. I've enjoyed playing through modern solid state amps as much as through my own Mesa Boogie V-Twin pedal & Fender (Paul Rivera-designed) Super Champ combo.

23 hours ago, veloman said:

There was a make of amp years ago called "HH" , I played with a number of musicians who used that kit. One of the amps had "VS" on it claiming that it sounded like a valve amp . Best bass amp I ever played with was a Peavy with Black Widow speaker - ever come acrosss that stuff ?  One bass player had a Fender Bassman rig and a pre CBS Fender Precision. Main problem was ....... he was crap. Dropped bum notes in 3/4 time numbers; and to make matters worse he was from London !!   

Yes, I remember HH (British, wasn't it?), but mainly as bass amps and rack-mounted PA amps. I think HH was bought by Ampeg later. Peavey bass amps with Black Widow speakers were great amps. Not too happy with the old Peavey guitar amps, though, Black Widow-equipped or not. Too clean unless you maxed the volume. A bit like a Fender Twin Reverb. (IIRC, Johnny Winter and Rick Derringer played with six Twin Reverbs stacked in a pyramid on stage. Each.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Just got back from a tour of Texas Universities.

Grueling. Driving 6 hours and then having to play a show. Absolutely exhausted when I got home 👎

No option to stay over?

One of my friends tours America every couple of years. He's just had a hip replacement and isn't relishing his next trip. He's asked if I'd like to drive and roadie?

I'm tempted as it's Iikely I get laid off this year, as my employer continues shifting resources overseas and outsourcing post Brexit.

Bit of a gap, can't see him being ready until 2024, but it is tempting. Would get to see a stack of states at ground level and I've not been out there since before the millennium.

Didn't think this required a new topic, but what music gear do you regret not buying, and what did you later regret selling? I'll go first: not buying a year-old Ovation guitar at a quarter of the original price in the mid--70s when a fellow student was desperate to pay the rent.

I probably should regret selling a 60s Vox AC-50 valve amp head (not the 4x12" Selmer cab it came with, though - too heavy) in order to finance a Leslie 760/ACE GT-7 keyboard combo (again: too heavy) later augmented by a Roland SH-1000 synth and replaced by a Yamaha DX-7). Don't think I'd actually use the AC-50 today, though.

(Edit: and I really regret not storing my Farfisa Compact deluxe in a place where mice were unable to make a nest in it. It stunk to high heaven afterwards.)

Edited by TB

3 hours ago, TB said:

probably should regret selling a 60s Vox AC-50 valve amp head (not the 4x12" Selmer cab it came with, though - too heavy)

I sold one (head + cab), same reason, way too heavy. No regrets. 

17 hours ago, Xann said:

No option to stay over?

One of my friends tours America every couple of years. He's just had a hip replacement and isn't relishing his next trip. He's asked if I'd like to drive and roadie?

I'm tempted as it's Iikely I get laid off this year, as my employer continues shifting resources overseas and outsourcing post Brexit.

Bit of a gap, can't see him being ready until 2024, but it is tempting. Would get to see a stack of states at ground level and I've not been out there since before the millennium.

We were staying in hotels. 2 of us in the group - but driving 6 hours and then playing a show, going out to eat with hosts so still having to be "on" crashing, then back in the car, day after day. I'm just getting too old for that shit. Need my alone time lol and a comfy bed.

How much moving would you be doing or would you have travel days in between show days?

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

We were staying in hotels. 2 of us in the group - but driving 6 hours and then playing a show, going out to eat with hosts so still having to be "on" crashing, then back in the car, day after day. I'm just getting too old for that shit. Need my alone time lol and a comfy bed.

How much moving would you be doing or would you have travel days in between show days?

I miss touring, but two people in a car is a very different trip to sixteen people in a tour bus, with a social lounge, a quiet lounge, your own bunk and catering.

Usually my friend tours the US in vertical stripes. Shorter drives between clusters of settlements north/south, interspersed with longer drives as you move east/west across to the next stripe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/10/2022 at 17:25, veloman said:

On 10/10/2022 at 16:43, TB said:

Yes, I remember HH (British, wasn't it?), but mainly as bass amps and rack-mounted PA amps. I think HH was bought by Ampeg later. Peavey bass amps with Black Widow speakers were great amps. Not too happy with the old Peavey guitar amps, though, Black Widow-equipped or not. Too clean unless you maxed the volume. A bit like a Fender Twin Reverb. (IIRC, Johnny Winter and Rick Derringer played with six Twin Reverbs stacked in a pyramid on stage. Each.)

I did a short stint at the HH factory in Cradley Heath while I was doing my YTS as a teenager in the early 90's. I seem to remember there being HH and Laney amps being made/tested/repaired at that place.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Need more drums

(a) Not enough room 

(b) Neighbours 

(c) I'm a shit drummer 

(There is a set of electronic pads next to the desk). 

My daughter has a proper electronic kit (she plays pretty well, too), and we keep meaning to arrange a jam, but it's a case of finding the time. 

On 24/10/2022 at 11:39, mjmooney said:

Moved out of the spacious  ̶b̶e̶d̶r̶o̶o̶m̶ Studio One into the more bijou Studio Two here at Shabby Road. 

IMG20221024172642_1.jpg

I can still hear the sustain on that one guitar.

Â