Weekend Football 9/10/11 Feb

VillaForever1970

A couple. and given he's a 21 year old goalkeeper, which is an absolute baby for a keeper, it's understandable.

Pepe Reina and Joe Hart have both made more blunders this season than De gea. yet De Gea seems to be the only one who gets criticised.

He's very good. And he will be excellent.

I'm sorry, but that is utter bollocks.  Both Reina and Hart have had plenty of criticism this season from both fans and the media. 

Ok, I should have said De Gea gets the most.

The others get some (Icertainly wouldn't say plenty) but De Gea certainly gets the most, yet he's been easily the best of the three this season.

Edited by Stevo985

I'm no having the moaning about the corner at the end, they wasted 45 seconds on the free kick, weren't rushing to take the corner do the ref blew the whistle, no problem with it at all

Where was Rooney tonight? Awful, far too deep, poor on the ball too

That is if you only look at how many shots he has on goal or how many goals he got. Rooney was a bit invicible in attack, but the job he put in during the match was incredible and he was subbed because he was knackered from doing it - just like Danny Welbeck, who was my MotM alonside de Gea. Rooney constantly forechecked both the defensive unit and their midfield. He laid deeper only for Welbeck to be the joker in the game, as nobody really belived he was going to be an important piece of the puzzle. Sometimes you have to understand football a bit better before you slag someone off really, because Rooney played exactly how Ferguson demanded him I would assume. Away to Real Madrid is the 2nd most difficult game in world football, it goes without saying that you cannot play two out and out strikers with Van Persie and Rooney without one of them taking another role.

Rooney gets an 8 out of 10 from me, I wish we had players like that in our team. Fun to see Ryan Giggs boss the game as well when he came on, what a player. Class act from the Real Madrid-fans when many of them stood up and clapped him onto the pitch.

As for the game, fantastic stuff. Two incredible attacking teams, and also two incredible defensive units. I guess Real Madrid were a bit sloppy at the back when they chased a better goal advantage before the game at Old Trafford, but that is only to be expected. The tempo is so high that you have to time your defensive run before your own attack is completed! Ronaldo very good in the first half, but faded a bit in the second when United stood deeper and marked him with a tighter backline. Özil has insane close control and that save from de Gea was just class. Wondered why he didn't punch it, but I think he judged it to be so close that he could have just punched it into the net. Also that save in the first half from Coentrao, how many goalkeepers in the world would save that shot? I think the critics against him are unfair, especially of late as he always deliver saves. That cock-up against Sunderland was mostly Carrick's fault but de Gea got the rap.

Thank god CL footy is back, getting heart troubles watching our games of late. Nice to just enjoy football instead of biting my fingernails off when we are holding a 2-1 lead against West Ham in the 94th minute :)

I disagree papillon, don't doubt that it's the role fervid gave him but thought he wasn't his usual self, he didn't look that sharp on or off the ball, didn't have his usual bite, I think alonso and khedira easily played it round him in the middle and he did very little to stop attacks down the left, di Maria went round him a few times without really doing anything, on the ball apart from a couple of good long balls he wasn't that good, you watch someone like ozils use of the ball (even though I think his passing % was pretty poor) it's a class above what Rooney offered, looked at times like kagawa was playing further up the pitch and linking with RVP better

The others get some (Icertainly wouldn't say plenty) but De Gea certainly gets the most, yet he's been easily the best of the three this season.

I think that just comes with the territory if you play for Manchester United though.  The spotlight shines more brightly on Old Trafford than anywhere else in English football by several orders of magnitude. 

I think that just comes with the territory if you play for Manchester United though.  The spotlight shines more brightly on Old Trafford than anywhere else in English football by several orders of magnitude. 

Possibly, but that doesn't make it right.

A couple. and given he's a 21 year old goalkeeper, which is an absolute baby for a keeper, it's understandable.

Pepe Reina and Joe Hart have both made more blunders this season than De gea. yet De Gea seems to be the only one who gets criticised.

I'm sorry, but that is utter bollocks.  Both Reina and Hart have had plenty of criticism this season from both fans and the media. 

Agreed. I don't think there's a City game I've seen this season where the comms haven't mentioned multiple times that Hart's made a lot of mistakes this season.

But that's not criticism. That's acknowledgement of a few mistakes.

It's always "Hart's made some mistakes but he's still a top top keeper" os something similar.

Which is true. But with De Gea the acknowledgement that he's actually a very good keeper is seldom there. He's often portrayed a ssomeone who isn't very good. Which isn't true. That's what annoys me.

I think most people recognise he is an excellent shot stopper but he isn't a excellent goal keeper because of his weakness on crosses, that is a serious problem still in his game.

Hart on the other hand doesn't really have a weakness in his game, so when he makes the odd mistake it is different to when De Gea has flapped at another cross.

I think the two things are quite different.

but it takes multiple mistakes for them to get criticism for some reason. Hart had 2 great games this season vsReal adn Dortmund and was declared best keeper in the world but he has had some shocking blunders in the league this season and in friendly vs Sweden

as for Reina he has been poor since about 2010 and escaped a lot of criticism becasue he plays for media darlings

I think most people recognise he is an excellent shot stopper but he isn't a excellent goal keeper because of his weakness on crosses, that is a serious problem still in his game.

Hart on the other hand doesn't really have a weakness in his game, so when he makes the odd mistake it is different to when De Gea has flapped at another cross.

Exactly, he is one of the worst around from corners, a corner is his worst nightmare, he just cannot judge the flight of the ball.

Exactly, he is one of the worst around from corners, a corner is his worst nightmare, he just cannot judge the flight of the ball.

was saying to my mate last night De Gea is very similar to Given. great shotstopper just other things not so strong

Come to think about it. what was refreshing about last night was their was not really that much diving or playacting and both teams gave it all.

maybe was just barcelona ruining all them Clasicos after all ;)

Â