The Randy Lerner thread

CI

but if so much of the money Randy authorised hadn't been spent on players who we had to release on free transfers we wouldn't be in this mess.

That's one waste of money. Money authorised by him under managers hired by him.

I bet that £16 million spent on compensating managers would have helped as well. Who's getting the blame for that amount of money being pissed away?

Listening to talk sport for a few minutes and they mentioned Everton being valued at £125 million.

I wonder what we'd be worth given our better stadium and training facilities.

The basic point here is that Randy appears not to have done the basic arithmetic of:

X no. of players x £Y(10,000) per week x Z no. of years on contract = more than the combination of what the club could earn and how much he could sub it.

It matters not how good or bad the players were in the opinion of some fans, and how many "had" to be released on free transfers (I think the management of exits of players is one of the many areas where the club could have done much better.) He just couldn't afford the wages bill he had built up and it is that he is now cutting back drastically.

His eyes were bigger than his tummy, as my mother used to say.

The basic point here is that Randy appears not to have done the basic arithmetic of:

X no. of players x £Y(10,000) per week x Z no. of years on contract = more than the combination of what the club could earn and how much he could sub it.

It matters not how good or bad the players were in the opinion of some fans, and how many "had" to be released on free transfers (I think the management of exits of players is one of the many areas where the club could have done much better.) He just couldn't afford the wages bill he had built up and it is that he is now cutting back drastically.

His eyes were bigger than his tummy, as my mother used to say.

It matters everything that the players were not good enough....the revenues enjoyed from the gates and all the other add ons those said better players would have generated would have paid their wages which have NOW been deemed as inflated.... what comes first the chicken or the egg.

If they had of been good enough their wages/ fee's  would have been a snip.

It is simply all about their Value.....which never materialised.

and thats the respective managers fault. The player valuer/appraiser, not the funder.

Edited by TRO

I think MON horrible failure at Sunderland proves Randy was maybe right to pull the plug on his stupid spending 

I agree, even though I love MON

but still whilst I agree i do have to admit his team have more points then ours

Anyone heard that Lerner has officially announced the club is up for sale or have I just been wound up.

Think someone has been trolling you. Though, I'm not sure where a chairman would officially announce it? 

I think MON horrible failure at Sunderland proves Randy was maybe right to pull the plug on his stupid spending 

I agree, even though I love MON

but still whilst I agree i do have to admit his team have more points then ours

Quite - if MON is a "horrible failure", what does that make Lambert???  :o

Looks like some people are simply never going to understand that the "stupid spending" was done by a Mr R Lerner, the man with more chequebook than financial sense. And he went on with the "stupid spending" after MON left. 

He (or someone at the club) is good at spin, though: they have created a myth that the spending somehow wasn't done by Lerner, and that he rode in just in time to rescue the club from the terrible consequences of...errr...his own spending...by...errr...selling off all our good players and not replacing them properly (even though he spent a further £75m gross), coupled with a bizarre series of managerial appointments leading to continuous relegation struggles.

I think the spin bit is quite clever of him.

• Like 2

well considering he hasnt had a season and in MON 1st season we werent exactly setting the world alight so has to be given time. 

Was that the year when we instantly went from a team easy to beat to one of the last unbeaten teams in the country?

Haha

We also finished higher than the previous year if I remember.

See straight away he came into a shit situation and showed clear improvement.

Something the current manager is struggling to do.

It did help he splashed cash in january which current manager couldnt do

Anyone heard that Lerner has officially announced the club is up for sale or have I just been wound up.

Think someone has been trolling you. Though, I'm not sure where a chairman would officially announce it? 

Well he said it had been on Talksport (I know I know) and came on here expecting a flood of posts.......

Bugger

Though, I'm not sure where a chairman would officially announce it? 

Classified section of the Birmingam Mail, surely.

Nonsense. Loney Hearts

"Fickle, underappreciated, young at heart 150 year old lady seeks willing Sugar Daddy for long term relationship and a chance to relive old times. Occasional GSOH although generally pessimistic (I have been hurt in the past) Previous partners have promise much but have left me unsatisfied. If you are the one who can awake my sleeping giant please call."

• Like 1

He spent £10.5 million in January.

He also didn't have a full pre season like our current manager did.

And like I said with just the addition of petrov he improved us.

Under DOL the last 10 games of the 2005/06 season we lost 6 of them.

At the start of the following season we were unbeaten for the first 10 games.

Edited by Big_John_10

It wasn't just Stan, to be pedantic - there was also Didier Agathe and Chris Sutton. That's not decrying the improvement that MON brought. Though it wasn't just MON, it was also the takeover and general atmosphere at the club - the whole place got a lift from all the changes, from players to fans and staff.

I was generally quite happy to have MO'N as manager, but I think the "6th place wages= 6th place finish" thing is overplayed.

If MO'N was as good as he and we thought, he might have been able to do better than Everton, with their (then) lower crowds and wages, and they weren't the only ones - Spurs being another. It's definitely a factor, for sure, but far from the only one. Good, really good managers, given a little time, are able to essentially "beat" the wages = position theory. Allardyce does it, Newcastle did it last year, Moyes, obviously, Fergie (compared to Man City). Norwich under Lambert, Swansea, Albion... and ... QPR would be higher up and so on.

Â