The Randy Lerner thread

CI

So let`s say Lerner would sell in the summer, would you guys like to have an arab owner type who pumps money into the club ala city/chelsea or what?

I know the obvious answer is someone who can actually run a club but would you like it more if it was someone who had a lot of money or someone that would invest when it is needed type? Just curious about this, because it is hard to say no if suddenly sharaawy(or whoever you prefer) stood in a villa shirt. 

So let`s say Lerner would sell in the summer, would you guys like to have an arab owner type who pumps money into the club ala city/chelsea or what?

Unfortunately, due to the way the league is structured and we want our team winning things, then thats the way to go. Im more than happy to have us chalenging top six every season with the odd cup run/success and odd challenge for top four.

Hate the modern game and the money involved, but thats the be-all and end-all of it.

Edited by MagicMushroom

Well if we don't get a super rich owner then we can forget winning anything other than maybe the odd League cup for decades. How this is supposed to be entertaining i really don't know?

A question i have always pondered is whether you should be happy to go along & watch a game lose, lose or draw? (Ok with the odd random win popping up now & then)

Frankly i am bored of that now. I insist on at least having a chance to see us win something of note, even if it is just occasionally. To have to put up with mediocrity decade after decade however is simply soul destroying & eventually makes the whole thing rather pointless. I was brought up watching a good Villa side who won things & this utter garbage we have to endure now is unacceptable in my opinion.

So Yeah i would take someone who had the ability to make us at least competitive any day.. I have endured the alternative for 30+ years now.

• Like 1

Well if we don't get a super rich owner then we can forget winning anything other than maybe the odd League cup for decades. How this is supposed to be entertaining i really don't know?

A question i have always pondered is whether you should be happy to go along & watch a game lose, lose or draw? (Ok with the odd random win popping up now & then)

Frankly i am bored of that now. I insist on at least having a chance to see us win something of note, even if it is just occasionally. To have to put up with mediocrity decade after decade however is simply soul destroying & eventually makes the whole thing rather pointless. I was brought up watching a good Villa side who won things & this utter garbage we have to endure now is unacceptable in my opinion.

So Yeah i would take someone who had the ability to make us at least competitive any day.. I have endured the alternative for 30+ years now.

This.

Why should we put up with an inferior product?

We have endured mediocrity since 1982 with the exception of the odd League Cup and runners up spot in the 90's.

There is so much more to entertain us these days and being depressed every other weekend is no longer acceptable.

82 is before my time but I would at least like to see us establish ourselves in the top 8 first. I hate that we are one of the shit teams in the league, that is the worst. Specially when there is a chance we will get relegated as well. 

I personally don`t expect any major trophies for a good while, but everyone has their own view on it. Of course, it would be nice if things were to shift. I hate how it is now, I hate how we don`t really have any major players on our team(Guess benteke is an exception but for how long is that? And it`s basically one year signing, which is more of a lucky signing if anything else) Shame really. 

Who am I kidding, a extremely rich owner would really be something else, but then again I don`t want the mark city has on it either. :/

Last summer he put 50 odd million in, then more for the summer transfers - another 20 odd. There will be more to make up for the wages being too high. There was very little further in the Jan window, but then having already spent 70 odd mill in the previous 12 months, is that a surprise?...

What you haven't mentioned is how much money AVFC has generated in that same period. What does TV money, prize money, shirt sales, ticket sales, player sales, his own personal salary, merchandise, match day pies etc come to?

I expect he has still lost a few quid but you need to balance your statement with money out AND money in.

The 50 million was to cover losses AFTER money in is taken into account.

The transfers in and out since then are another net outgoing.

Re the Trust, they are legally obliged to "look after" their money. They are not permitted to just give money away. The loans from the Trust have to be repaid. They're at normal interest rates - same as inter bank lending (Libor). They are less interest than for example Man U's loans from various places.

Randy is not making money from the club, quite the opposite to the tune of many, many many millions.

I'm sure he'd like to stop funding us to such an extent, but the club needs to be self supporting for that to happen. That's why there's been the reigning in of spending on wages. It'll be a low process to get there, and it's (with other factors) what's caused on-field fortunes to plummet.

Much is self inflicted through bad decision making and poor control in the past.

I just wanted to make clear the point that he hasn't stopped funding us, that it's fair to criticise for many things, but financial backing isn't one of them. It's just not been true to this point, and accounts show this.

As for the future, who knows.

I just wanted to make clear the point that he hasn't stopped funding us,

that it's fair to criticise for many things, but financial backing

isn't one of them. It's just not been true to this point, and accounts

show this.

Blandy, so the fact we failed to be able to bring in even a decent loan player in January knowing we were desperate to just survive was a sign of financial backing? Nice flags for Bradford game though, really useful they were in that match.

He has wasted money but when it was REALLY needed bottled it and leaves us in great danger of going down - for that I am not appreciative!

I think given the poor state of the squad and the wage restrictions the manager had to work with in the summer and January I think it's fair to criticise the amount of funding currently being provided.

I dont think anyone can criticise the amount of money Lerners put in.

What they can do is question what himself, MON, Houllier, Mcleish, and Lambert spent it on, because very little of it has actually been spent wisely.

I think the training ground was good investment

Ash Young

Milner/Downing

Benteke

After that I cant think of much that has been worthwhile. Quite frightening how 5 individuals can make an arse of spending money.

• Like 1

I think given the poor state of the squad and the wage restrictions the manager had to work with in the summer and January I think it's fair to criticise the amount of funding currently being provided.

I think there's something in that, particularly if that's all you consider. If however you consider as well, the state of the finances - having to put in 50 million to stem losses, then the focus should more be on the monumental way the money has been wasted, than the amount of money. 70 million in from any club's owner, anywhere is an absolute shed load. It's a waste that it's gone more on covering losses on wages and compo and so on, and not on strengthening the playing side.

it's not lack of money, it's lack of control of where money was pouring out of the club that was the problem. Even then, 20 mill for Lambo in the summer, albeit from a low starting point of squad balance, was a lot more than most clubs spent. [edit] i.e. "what woody said"[/edit]

The other thing to remember is that Randy does NOT pick the transfer targets. Our scouts find them and the manager decides which ones he wants - Randy just sets the budget and provides the money.

So this "waste" of his money is due to him backing his managers - and it's cost him a bomb.

The curse of being a Villa fan today. The modern game stinks but it was a game created for big city clubs like us. With the possible exceptions of Newcastle and Leeds (who both got close, albeit at a cost) we have failed miserably to take advantage of the riches and glory on offer, and have looked a gift horse in the mouth.

If you're (random example) a Stoke fan then every season of beating the odds exceeds your expectations and watching football continues to be a thrill. If you're a Villa fan then disappointment is that much easier to find because failing to realise our potential (i.e. regular finishes in the top six, winning the odd trophy, flirting with and occasionally achieving Champions League qualification, attracting quality players) is that much easier to achieve. Plodding along amongst the Premier League also-rans and never making the great leap forward gets to be tedious.

That said I would rather we were achieving on merit than being bank-rolled to the top table by some amoral, sociopathic, egotistical billionaire. It's only my opinion but I will take relegation over losing the soul of my club like Chelsea and Man City have done

I just wanted to make clear the point that he hasn't stopped funding us,

that it's fair to criticise for many things, but financial backing

isn't one of them. It's just not been true to this point, and accounts

show this.

Blandy, so the fact we failed to be able to bring in even a decent loan player in January knowing we were desperate to just survive was a sign of financial backing? Nice flags for Bradford game though, really useful they were in that match.

He has wasted money but when it was REALLY needed bottled it and leaves us in great danger of going down - for that I am not appreciative!

You've ignored virtually everything he wrote. This is why modern football sucks, and why the world economy is in such a mess. If in doubt throw some (borrowed) money at it - sod the long-term consequences, don't plan ahead or put things into a context. Most of Villa's current problems must ultimately rest at Lerner's door because he has been the man in charge and his judgement has been poor. But having inadvertently allowed others to gamble on our future existance to pamper their own egos, whilst squandering the millions and millions which he gave to them, he is at least making our financial survival his immediate priority, and for this we should be grateful. He can't be expected to continuously throw good money after bad in the hope that it might just work out ok. It may be hideous to watch and it should never have been allowed to happen, but I would rather have a team playing somewhere to support in 20 years time than no team at all

It really does...man it`s kinda worrying when you think about it. So much stuff can happen in the next couple of months really. we go down, get a shit new owner and we could be faced with becoming a championship team for quite some time, maybe even league 1. 

he is at least making our financial survival his immediate priority, and for this we should be grateful. He can't be expected to continuously throw good money after bad in the hope that it might just work out ok. It may be hideous to watch and it should never have been allowed to happen, but I would rather have a team playing somewhere to support in 20 years time than no team at all

As the money in football increases he is gambling with the premiership status of this club.

I don't believe for one second that spending a bit more in the summer or January would have seen the financial future of the club in serious threat.

How will relegation help the financial future? Less income and no guarantee that big earners will be able to be shifted from the wage bill.

Â