The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Last summer he put 50 odd million in, then more for the summer transfers - another 20 odd. There will be more to make up for the wages being too high. There was very little further in the Jan window, but then having already spent 70 odd mill in the previous 12 months, is that a surprise?

He may, or may not, be wanting to afford it, but nevertheless he's still putting a lot in. It seems he wants to stop doing that, and for the club to look after itself - balance the books, but you'd think from reading some of the stuff that he's not put anything in recently (last couple of years, say). Completely untrue.

Unfortunately because they messed up on the wages and lost the gamble for 4th, there's legacy of overspending to sort out, and loans to pay back. no doubt it's gone wrong, from what he wanted, and it's his responsibility, ultimately. But to say he's totally withdrawn funding etc. is not how I see it.

I think we'd all love to know what's going on.

• Like 1

Well, you're right Blandy but how frustrating is it that all of that money was so badly spent?

He deserves criticism for that, even though it's his gamble to make, it's our club that suffers.

It's frustrating now to look back with hindsight, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

There in lies one of the major problems doesn't it. Lack of communication. I realise he has never been one for communicating and didn't say a word when things were going relatively well. He didn't really need to then though did he.

As things have gone from bad to worse over the last 3 years all we have had is tripe spouted by General Krulak and pretty much the same from Faulkner. The last detailed interview I can remember hearing from Faulkner was just after McLeish left and he was saying how they had learned from their mistakes over the previous couple of seasons and how they would ensure we didn't find ourselves in deep mire again. It doesn't seem like they learned anything though does it.

The fans are the lifeblood of this great club and we deserve to be kept better informed as to exactly what is going on even if we may well not like what is being said. Instead all we get is unrealistic aims being spouted about come season ticket renewal time.

Edited by markavfc40

Last summer he put 50 odd million in, then more for the summer transfers - another 20 odd. There will be more to make up for the wages being too high. There was very little further in the Jan window, but then having already spent 70 odd mill in the previous 12 months, is that a surprise?

He may, or may not, be wanting to afford it, but nevertheless he's still putting a lot in. It seems he wants to stop doing that, and for the club to look after itself - balance the books, but you'd think from reading some of the stuff that he's not put anything in recently (last couple of years, say). Completely untrue.

Unfortunately because they messed up on the wages and lost the gamble for 4th, there's legacy of overspending to sort out, and loans to pay back. no doubt it's gone wrong, from what he wanted, and it's his responsibility, ultimately. But to say he's totally withdrawn funding etc. is not how I see it.

I think its pretty obvious to whats going on.

Sometimes we just have to accept what our eyes are telling us, however hard it hurts or how angry it makes us.  Lerner will be gone within 12 monthes, so lets hope he does not balls that up by not looking at whom he sells us to. I wont hold my breath.

I think its pretty obvious to whats going on.

Sometimes we just have to accept what our eyes are telling us, however hard it hurts or how angry it makes us.  Lerner will be gone within 12 monthes, so lets hope he does not balls that up by not looking at whom he sells us to. I wont hold my breath.

Wishful thinking. 

Should we survive then we are indeed primed for sale, should the owner wish to do so. Within 12 months though? He'll be looking for top dollar, £100m I should imagine, minimum. It's not that easy to sell a money pit for £100m, as long as the club stay in the black relative to inflation he'll be happy to stand pat. 

The club should have the resources to stay in the top flight during that period based on our income. Whether we do or not is another matter.

EVERYTHING is on hold until May though, you can bet your life on it. 

Perhaps the forthcoming accounts will give us some clues?

I just think he will cut his losses and run, because thats all he will be doing from now on, counting those losses. There was a story emanating from the US some time ago, that the Lerner family trust had told Lerner to cut his investment in us, other than to keep us ticking over. Could be our future was decided a while back by a group of unknown people whom we know very little about.

Dont ask me where or when i read that though, since my memory is no longer at its best :D

There in lies one of the major problems doesn't it. Lack of communication. I realise he has never been one for communicating and didn't say a word when things were going relatively well. He didn't really need to then though did he. As things have gone from bad to worse over the last 3 years all we have had is tripe spouted by General Krulak and pretty much the same from Faulkner. The last detailed interview I can remember hearing from Faulkner was just after McLeish left and he was saying how they had learned from their mistakes over the previous couple of seasons and how they would ensure we didn't find ourselves in deep mire again. It doesn't seem like they learned anything though does it. The fans are the lifeblood of this great club and we deserve to be kept better informed as to exactly what is going on even if we may well not like what is being said. Instead all we get is unrealistic aims being spouted about come season ticket renewal time.

Mark

It's incredibly ironic isn't it? 6 years ago we were applauding the club for having a "director" who "communicated" with the fans!

We basically fell for it "hook, line and sinker"

At the time I was sceptical - for many years I have worked for and with Americans. I have made friends with many good people but "corporate" Americans are some of the most insincere I have ever met. Despite everything Krulak said about the importance of the "fans" to the club they "the board" were totally false.

We are now left with Greta "I want to be alone" Lerner and his Whipping Boy Faulkner!

• Like 1

Well, you're right Blandy but how frustrating is it that all of that money was so badly spent?

He deserves criticism for that, even though it's his gamble to make, it's our club that suffers.

It's frustrating now to look back with hindsight, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I agree but cant blame him completely for the money not spent. If he didnt pay the big wages for crap MON probably would have walked on him like he allegedly did for not signing McGeady. 

He isnt blameless but isnt solely to blame for this problem

Bradford chairman saying just now that he doesn't expect to get his money back from the club, suggesting it isn't all about that.

Another f:-)k you to Lerner from me.

F:-)k you and... yes, f:-)k you.

so you think its ok that he loaned money and doesnt expect it back.

are you the same with your debts?

Bradford chairman saying just now that he doesn't expect to get his money back from the club, suggesting it isn't all about that.

Exactly - People need to get real.

I don't expect to have my loans taken back quicker than I can manage either, leaving me unable to spend on my house, food..

I don't expect to have my loans taken back quicker than I can manage either, leaving me unable to spend on my house, food..

Neither does Randy lerner. Such a poor comparison.

Neither does Randy lerner. Such a poor comparison.

Because my loans are exactly like Randy's high interest loans.

No it isnt 'our' club that suffers.

We suffer because we buy into the competitive world of football as Aston Villa supporters. Randy Lerner isnt sat at home worrying about whether Woodytom's enjoying the game. 

Its an industry that just isnt customer focused. It doesnt have to be. The product can be shit and yet you can still sell it because of the brand. 

Why is anybody paying to go and watch Villa? Its an absolutely awful product at the minute. We go because the brand of 'football' is too much of a pull. We are sold on football. Ive got sky. Can count on one hand the number of decent games Ive watched  - I wont get rid of it though.

Football - 'for the people'. 'The peoples game'. Bollocks. Ive followed football fro over 2 decades. Its never ever been about me and the people. 

When Randy Lerners weighing up risks, the potential for us to suffer doesnt even come into it. He couldnt give a shit. And neither could anybody involved in football who tells you otherwise. Now, if we started walking away. Maybe they would. But the brand of football is too strong for enough to walk away.

What you haven't mentioned is how much money AVFC has generated in that same period. What does TV money, prize money, shirt sales, ticket sales, player sales, his own personal salary, merchandise, match day pies etc come to?

I expect he has still lost a few quid but you need to balance your statement with money out AND money in.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

How much of it is his own money though?

The Lerner family trust from where most of it comes from ( if not all, if we ignore the PR of the past ) is made up of more than one investor. We know his ex wife is/was one, whom are the others and what are thier backgrounds?

Since we owe that trust and not whom its come through, then i think he is in no position to write off all of that debt.

I think the last 3 years puts doubt on a lot of things that we have been fed and told.

Edited by MagicMushroom

No it isnt 'our' club that suffers.

We suffer because we buy into the competitive world of football as Aston Villa supporters. Randy Lerner isnt sat at home worrying about whether Woodytom's enjoying the game. 

Its an industry that just isnt customer focused. It doesnt have to be. The product can be shit and yet you can still sell it because of the brand. 

Why is anybody paying to go and watch Villa? Its an absolutely awful product at the minute. We go because the brand of 'football' is too much of a pull. We are sold on football. Ive got sky. Can count on one hand the number of decent games Ive watched  - I wont get rid of it though.

Football - 'for the people'. 'The peoples game'. Bollocks. Ive followed football fro over 2 decades. Its never ever been about me and the people. 

When Randy Lerners weighing up risks, the potential for us to suffer doesnt even come into it. He couldnt give a shit. And neither could anybody involved in football who tells you otherwise. Now, if we started walking away. Maybe they would. But the brand of football is too strong for enough to walk away.

Hate agreeing with this, but so sadly true.

Â