The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Randy Lerner is a businessman - not a fan, a businessman. he owns a business.

Erm, have you missed the propaganda over the last few years, we're constantly being told that Randy IS a fan (he has a tattoo etc) and he isn't in this for the money because if a player becomes available, he will find the funds etc. etc. etc.

Surely you're up to speed with this by now...

I actually think you're right by the way but that isn't the official line, I don't think he's a very good businessman though.

Randy Lerner is a businessman - not a fan, a businessman. he owns a business.

Erm, have you missed the propaganda over the last few years, we're constantly being told that Randy IS a fan (he has a tattoo etc) and he isn't in this for the money because if a player becomes available, he will find the funds etc. etc. etc.

Surely you're up to speed with this by now...

I actually think you're right by the way but that isn't the official line, I don't think he's a very good businessman though.

I didn't miss it - I just cared not to believe it. I always said GK was the "spin doctor". We may have well just appointed Peter Mandelson.

If anyone thought anything else, they are , quite frankly, gullible.

But that highlights my point, he's not a very good businessman. A good businessman wouldn't need to spin such nonsense in the first place. A good businessman does see the downside potential (of a Man Citeh scenario etc), A good businessman does his sums before he starts and a good businessman doesn't surround himself with Yes Men, getting rid of people with much experience in the field, just because there is a disagreement of ideas.

I didn't miss it - I just cared not to believe it. I always said GK was the "spin doctor". We may have well just appointed Peter Mandelson.

And if anyone thinks that a change of ownership at this time will benefit Aston Villa they are, quite frankly, gullible. :winkold:

And if anyone thinks that a change of ownership at this time will benefit Aston Villa they are, quite frankly, gullible. :winkold:

Why wouldn't a change of ownership benefit us? Isn't it reasonable to assume that IF there are interested parties that they would be prepared to invest?

Agree the McLeish appointment was a massive V sign to the fans from Lerner

A "**** you" it's my train set statement

To a section of the fans, most of whom didn't want everyone else who was mooted prior to the shock appointment.

Some of us really didn't give a toss who the club appointed, and think that we could have done a hell of a lot worse.

Why wouldn't a change of ownership benefit us? Isn't it reasonable to assume that IF there are interested parties that they would be prepared to invest?

If you consider who else was around in the couple of years prior to the takeover, then a buyer with the wherewithal to invest is unlikely. A Randy Lerner bale out to just anyone could be catastrophic for the club.

or,

Some of us did give a toss and wanted many many different managers.

However, when this one was appointed I thought "Oh well, not my choice but now he is here there aint nothing I can do, I pay £900 for the privelage so I may as well try and enjoy it and support the team". Instead of slagging off every single thing that happens, is said, is done.

It really does depend if you are a full or empty person. I;ve just read "We've won three, two against the bottom two in the Prem, and one to 3rd bottom in the league."

Well I could reply with "We've only lost two, one to a team that are top of the league by 5 points and shoved 11 goals past Spurs and Man Utd, and one to a completely dodgy linesmans decision 8)

Whether I like it or not, he is the manager of Aston Villa, so I will support him and hope ghat he succeeds.

My personal opinion is that he is ten times the man that DOL or MON are, both of whom I disliked, but supported nevertheless.

We might not like this or that, but the most likely people to bring the club to crisis this season are the supporters, so we might as well get behind the owner, board, manager and team and see if we can get some momentum, and a siege mentality that is prevalent at clubs like Everton.

Whether I like it or not, he is the manager of Aston Villa, so I will support him and hope ghat he succeeds.

My personal opinion is that he is ten times the man that DOL or MON are, both of whom I disliked, but supported nevertheless.

We might not like this or that, but the most likely people to bring the club to crisis this season are the supporters, so we might as well get behind the owner, board, manager and team and see if we can get some momentum, and a siege mentality that is prevalent at clubs like Everton.

Everton is not a great example considering they regularly boo their team off and have recently held protests over the ownership of the club.

I will always support the Club and the players on the pitch, especially during that 90 minutes on the pitch, but there is no getting away from the fact that Alex McLeish was always the most illogical decision I have seen made at this club in many, many years.

We could have done worse? I'd strongly disagree with that. We could have done a hell of a lot better.

Everton is not a great example considering they regularly boo their team off and have recently held protests over the ownership of the club.

I will always support the Club and the players on the pitch, especially during that 90 minutes on the pitch, but there is no getting away from the fact that Alex McLeish was always the most illogical decision I have seen made at this club in many, many years.

We could have done worse? I'd strongly disagree with that. We could have done a hell of a lot better.

I agree, I will support the team and the club but McLeish is a different story until he convinces me otherwise

We could have appointed a team of Ferguson and Wenger but with our bunch of no hopers it wouldn't have made much difference without the ability to build a team - this has been denied Eck therefore I see it difficult to comment on his performance. Yes he had balls to take the job BUT at what price?

I wonder who he could have appointed that would have been much better?

Seeing as MoN wasn't good enough and we were llucky to be rid of him (according to plenty on here) the farce that was Houllier's reign and the writing on the wall over the sale of Young and Downing. Tie this neatly in a bow labelled with a lack of funding for new players, and leave outside Villa park with the fans protesting about every name being mentioned and then try to find a much better manager than McLeish who's prepared to sign a contract and risk any reputation he's worked hard to build on a dodgy season or 2 with average players and no wage allowance to buy better!!

And as for MoN underachieving compared to what he spent, I'm sure that in terms of Nett spend we were 6th in the table, with Arsenal sitting well below us having already established the basis of a strong team in the past. So I'd say he achieved the level that was expected.

The difference being regardless of where we eventually ended up we still had the dream of a top 4 place or a cup win right up until the end of the season with MoN in charge.

Where as last season the nightmare of relagation was still a possibility at the same point in the season.

I wonder who he could have appointed that would have been much better?

Maybe someone with the following characteristics/ability:

- A personality

- To recognise that Emile Heskey is a central striker that has to be played at the point of the attack to be effective. He is not a CM'er, he is not a winger and he is most certainly not Franz bloody Beckenbauer!

- To motivate Charles N'Zogbia and Marc Albrighton, two of the best performing young wingers in the league last year neither of whom can kick a football under McLeish

- To recognise the glaring hole that we have in CM just in front of the two CB's

- To be able to set up a balanced front 6

- To be able to react to in game situations, like going down to 10 men

This is not rocket science. There are a number of candidates out there that I would have taken over McLeish. Holloway annoyed me with his comments last year but he could certainly inspire a team of relatively poor players and he knows how to play football. I wouldn't have minded him bringing Eck in as a defensive coach though! :winkold:

It's not rocket science no, but it's a lot more difficult than goign down to the manager aisle of your local supermarket.

Lerner can only make an appointment based on those that actually put themselves forward for the job. We have to assume that McLeish was the best candidate based on those that were in the frame.

Now we can all sit here and band names around until the cows come home but whether any of those names were ever actual possibilities we do not know.

Whilst I'm sure Randy would like a manager with the abilities you mentioned above, and I'm sure he thought he had employed one, he can only employ the best out of those that wanted the job.

Now you could, and I certainly would, argue that Lerner set out his stall when it came to managers by his management of the financial situation at the club, but that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon.

But when people like Martinez publically turn you down, and managers like Hughes remain out of work you have to assume that the likes of McLeish were the best of those willing to put their name in the hat for the job.

Â