The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Before he pulled up the drawbridge Randy was good at the small things: sorting the pub out, communication through the General, free coaches/scarves, etc.

He's crap at the big things: money and managers. You can mess up one of these and maybe stagnate by relying on the other. Messing up both of these fundamentals at the same time leaves us in our current predicament.

And its the big things that matter not the little gestures that given where we are mean worse than nothing

Oh and a simple message to RL, sack McLeish and season ticket sales will go up significantly. Keep him and pay the price.

He's here

Thanks for that inside informaton again.

But will he still be here for and attend the Stoke game????

Not long ago the answer would have been an almost certain yes now you have to doubt it.

He needs to get on the plane and attend a few games

His presence is needed for the run in

What message is he sending out by deserting the ship

He's here

who cares. the man is an idiot

Since then we've haemmorhaged money because O'Neill got such poor value.

What about £12 million paid out to MoN and houllier?

Money paid to blues as compensation?

Pay rise to Mcleish?

Why are the browns shit? Is that MoN's fault as well?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Browns have always been shit, and Cleveland is a shithole that probably doesn't even deserve and NFL franchise. I have no idea why O'Neill got compo, Houllier was a little unfortunate. Why he went for McLeish I have no idea and I said up until that he made some decent decisions. It's the wages of the players that we can't shift and don't use (O'Neill even didn't bother using some of them) that has done the most damage.

Even if we accept for a second (and I don't) that our current financial woes are all down to O'Neill signing mediocre players at vastly inflated wages on ridiculously long contracts, the fact that Lerner didn't apparently have even basic financial controls in pace that could work out the simple equation of [number of players]x[level of wages]x[length of contracts]=[vastly more than Randy Lerner can afford], reflects abysmally on him.

We are in the dire position of the moment not because MON left us with a load of duff players but because Lerner sold off all our star players, couldn't afford to replace them, and appointed two duff managers in a row.

Lerner sold off all our star players

you mean our star players who were dead cert to leave, refusing to sign new contracts, and wouldve left on free transfers had we held onto them for another season?

Lerner has one chance to save his tenure. He has to admit he made a real turnip with McLeish and sack him. And he has to bring in the right guy to replace him. None of this will be cheap, but it'll be a damn sight cheaper than relegation, and I see that as almost inevitable if we carry on with McLeish. Not only relegation, but ignominious relegation trying to grind out 0-0's in front on 20k fans. If he waits to sack him until things are looking bad next term, we won't be in a position to get the right guy in and then the cycle continues and it may be by that stage too late.

It doesn't have to be this way. Here's to hoping it's not.

Lerner has one chance to save his tenure. He has to admit he made a real turnip with McLeish and sack him. And he has to bring in the right guy to replace him. None of this will be cheap, but it'll be a damn sight cheaper than relegation, and I see that as almost inevitable if we carry on with McLeish. Not only relegation, but ignominious relegation trying to grind out 0-0's in front on 20k fans. If he waits to sack him until things are looking bad next term, we won't be in a position to get the right guy in and then the cycle continues and it may be by that stage too late.

It doesn't have to be this way. Here's to hoping it's not.

He has not listened to anyone of us and its better this club was sold.

Inside info? It was rported on Sky.

Was it presented as 'inside info'? I am afraid i am not privy to 'inside info', never have been, and never pretended to be.

I do not report arrivals as a matter of routine. The post was a response to someone who was enquiring about Mr Lerner's whereabouts.

Good to know that it was on Sky. At least that means that you believe it.

I'm guessing he's over to visit Stan

Then he'll disappear without taking in the Easter games

He comes over on Monday fairly regularly.

As i have stated before, I don't see the relevance of whether he attends games or not, he is clearly actively involved.

Even if we accept for a second (and I don't) that our current financial woes are all down to O'Neill signing mediocre players at vastly inflated wages on ridiculously long contracts, the fact that Lerner didn't apparently have even basic financial controls in pace that could work out the simple equation of [number of players]x[level of wages]x[length of contracts]=[vastly more than Randy Lerner can afford], reflects abysmally on him.

We are in the dire position of the moment not because MON left us with a load of duff players but because Lerner sold off all our star players, couldn't afford to replace them, and appointed two duff managers in a row.

I think this is a rather simplistic assumption. Lerner quite obviously knew he was taking a gamble, coming so close three seasons in a row justified the gamble and encouraged him to stick with it. It didn't pay off. Not only that, but a load of external factors occured that he couldn't have accounted for - financial crisis, divorce, Man City.

I think you would have been hard pressed to find a Villa fan who didn't want the club to go all out for Champions League football after Lerner took over. Unfortunately, MON squandered the opportunity.

I think this is a rather simplistic assumption. Lerner quite obviously knew he was taking a gamble, coming so close three seasons in a row justified the gamble and encouraged him to stick with it. It didn't pay off. Not only that, but a load of external factors occured that he couldn't have accounted for - financial crisis, divorce, Man City.

I think you would have been hard pressed to find a Villa fan who didn't want the club to go all out for Champions League football after Lerner took over. Unfortunately, MON squandered the opportunity.

I'm assuming you were trying to quote my post (the bits in black) and then make a comment on it (the bit I've highlighted in blue)?

As for Lerner's "gamble", that is not a good approach to business. Suppose Lerner had been honest and said at the start: the plan is to spend for 4 seasons at a level that can't be sustained. If we reach the CL, establish ourselves as a regular top side and can regularly make the CL group stages then we will generate some income that will help replenish the team but if we fail there will be several seasons of severe disinvestment, selling off our top 4 quality players and settling for mid table survival?

Are you absolutely sure Villa fans would have backed that foolish approach?

Whether MON blew it or not would also have become irrelevant because I doubt he would have taken the job on such risky terms.

Even if by some magic we had transformed in 2 or 3 seasons into a regular top 4 side, the level of income generated by the CL alone would not have been enough to keep us there.

Briny, if we were competing in the CL like City or United I'm fairly certain most Villa fans would care little if the club was losing money. I've seen you post about CL money not being enough to compete on a long term basis before but you have no idea what extra revenue or investment may have come had we landed a top four spot.

Its all very well saying Lerner's 'gamble' is not a good approach to business but football in its own right is not a good approach to business. There are so many things that go on in football that would never happen in a normal business.

Â