The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Still can't believe that the Lerner dream ended so quickly and still stunned that he's managed to make so many terrible decisions to **** up his investment.

One terrible decision, to give MON shit loads of money in the transfer market and allow him to negotiate player contracts. Everything that has followed is a consequence of that.

And that is Mr Lerner's fault alone.

Absolutely agree on that point as everything else stems from that flawed decision.

I would love to know what rules MON is operating on at Sunderland. If they have any sense at all they will have had a close look at what happened at Villa. But then again....

I regret buying the ticket for the Arsenal game. Waste of money. I mean, first off the football will be shit with a defeatist attitude. Secondly, Randy can't even be bothered to turn up despite having the luxury to attend there for free with several privileges he hasn't earnt in his life. And thirdly, why should I and others keep funding the board who won't put it towards the team, but instead will waste it due to their ill thought decisions. Not only that but it'll no doubt end in their own personal back pockets anyway.

Nah, this can't go on. This will be the last time I'll spend any of my money until I see some improvements in all sections.

Also, I'll tell you something else. How much you wanna bet the first thing our yank friend asked regarding the match yesterday was not the scoreline, but the attedence? The greedy son of a bitch will no doubt have a smile on his face regardless of the scoreline and the performance he didn't see.[/quote]

Is this the same greedy Yank SOB who has personally invested over £100M into the club, with minimal returns?

Still can't believe that the Lerner dream ended so quickly and still stunned that he's managed to make so many terrible decisions to **** up his investment.

One terrible decision, to give MON shit loads of money in the transfer market and allow him to negotiate player contracts. Everything that has followed is a consequence of that.

Absolutely agree on that point as everything else stems from that flawed decision.

I would love to know what rules MON is operating on at Sunderland. If they have any sense at all they will have had a close look at what happened at Villa. But then again....

OT but MON will have a shit load of cash and complete control - he wouldn't have taken the job otherwise.

One terrible decision followed by plenty more terrible decisions would be my view.

I regret buying the ticket for the Arsenal game. Waste of money. I mean, first off the football will be shit with a defeatist attitude. Secondly, Randy can't even be bothered to turn up despite having the luxury to attend there for free with several privileges he hasn't earnt in his life. And thirdly, why should I and others keep funding the board who won't put it towards the team, but instead will waste it due to their ill thought decisions. Not only that but it'll no doubt end in their own personal back pockets anyway.

Nah, this can't go on. This will be the last time I'll spend any of my money until I see some improvements in all sections.

Also, I'll tell you something else. How much you wanna bet the first thing our yank friend asked regarding the match yesterday was not the scoreline, but the attedence? The greedy son of a bitch will no doubt have a smile on his face regardless of the scoreline and the performance he didn't see.[/quote]

Is this the same greedy Yank SOB who has personally invested over £100M into the club, with minimal returns?

Oh, you mean the same guy who invested so much to break into the top 4 so he can get his hands on the Champions League only for it to backfire and he now he's like, oh **** this, I want all my money back and what I'm gonna do is sell every single best player in this club without revinesting hardly any of it back.

That's a good owner isn't he? A guy who gives you toys and then goes right, I want them back.

Also, if he were to sell Villa, he could easily make a numerous of profit when he first bought it.

OT but MON will have a shit load of cash and complete control - he wouldn't have taken the job otherwise.

Which is why every newspaper including The Times and The Guardian stated he was aware of financial restrictions, and MON said over the weekend that if nobody comes in during January he is happy enough to work with what he has, and also why the BBC said he was aware of financial restrictions placed upon transfer activity over the next 2 windows?

He used to never sign written contracts and preferred a one year rolling contract with flexibility, that was until he perhaps realised he wouldn't get a better than Villa so he accepted what he could.

Think Lerner has been hurt by criticism he received for the Houllier appointment and the way General was treated by some people on here.

He wanted Houllier to build something and i think when many fans got on his back it hurt him personally

Well, if that was the case then Mr. Lerner should have been a lot clearer in explaining the decision-making process rather than maintaining his usual silence and allowing the fans to believe that ambitions had remained the same as when he took over. If he can't be bothered to fully communicate his aims for the Club when he made the appointment, then the fans are entitled to hold his appointment to the same standard expected from the previous manager the season before (which was to push for that fourth Champions League spot). If we were going back to basics and developing an entirely new self-sufficient infrastructure based upon the emergence of younger players, this should have been spelled out.

As usual though, he says nothing, Paul Faulkner robotically re-states that ambitions remain the same and everyone gets frustrated. Then when Houllier leaves he makes an appointment based on, it would seem, an entirely different set of criteria which plainly outright angers everyone and Faulkner again claims we are still challenging for Europe.

The exploits of Mr Lerner and Mr Faulkner over the past 18 months have been laughably inept and demonstrate a total lack of understanding regarding everything to do with the playing side of the Club. Football is ruthless and if he can't accept criticism in the face of an unending series of wayward and, in some cases, inexplicable decisions, then he needs to sell up as soon as possible.

Think Lerner has been hurt by criticism he received for the Houllier appointment and the way General was treated by some people on here.

He wanted Houllier to build something and i think when many fans got on his back it hurt him personally

Maybe so but IMO the General was a clown from day one on this forum so it was poor judgement on both their parts to create that situation.

I actually don't think Houllier was a bad call as a manager ignoring the obvious PR gaffes and I can understand the logic of that appointment. I can't believe he was hurt by the fans subsequent reaction as he must have balls of steel given the stick he gets over the Cleveland Browns.

What I would say though is all the anti Houllier from sections of the fans, which was way over the top in many instances, has probably hardened his position over McLeish to a point where he will disregard the consensus view entirely.

Almost certainly the club will look at the bigger picture and at the moment its probably OK in their eyes. Gates are down but a lot of that is the economy and football attendances generally outside the big clubs are down I think. The wage bill is falling and McLeish can keep us in the PL albeit at a lower level (I'm not convinced about the last point personally but this is the clubs view).

The elephant in the room which the club are studiously ignoring is season ticket renewals for next season. I can just see an almighty backlash coming from the paying fans if we have to put up with another season of appallingly bad football served up by a manager who has conclusively proved to me, at least, that he does not have the skill set to manage a premiership club effectively. I can see fans saying they will pick and choose games which means they will go to far fewer and wait for offers.

On that subject what is really starting to piss me off is I renewed my two season tickets at full price and I would bet I could see the games more cheaply had I taken advantage of the many offers. Bit of a kick in the teeth for loyal supporters I think.

The elephant in the room which the club are studiously ignoring is season ticket renewals for next season. I can just see an almighty backlash coming from the paying fans if we have to put up with another season of appallingly bad football served up by a manager who has conclusively proved to me, at least, that he does not have the skill set to manage a premiership club effectively. I can see fans saying they will pick and choose games which means they will go to far fewer and wait for offers.

Absolutely, bang-on correct.

Really? This rubbish again?

Firstly is there any proof that MoN was the only person involved in contract negotiations? Secondly does the owner of the club not have to sign off on them? Regardless of what MoN negotiated Randy Lerner could have said no at any point.

Also our issue was not just the money spent. It was the amount spent in relation to what was coming in and I don't see how any sensible person could argue that Lerner shouldn't have been in control of it.

It's been stated many times, MON has pretty much nothing to do with the various deals that bring money into the club. One man and one man alone should have been aware of money coming in and money going out.

So allowing finances to go tits up was a shocking decision but to follow it up with appointing houllier and then Mcleish is **** things up to a whole new level.

Similar shit decisions have effected the team he owns in a sport he understands so we didn't stand much of a chance.

The man has made serious errors which sees us as a club in a very similar position to when he took over. Only a massive failure could invest millions and end up at the same point as when you took over.

An unhappy fan base

A shit manager

An average squad

A laughing stock amongst neutral fans and the media

Poor football

Low attendances

Thank god though for that shiny new pub and my warm scarf:

An unhappy fan base

A shit manager

An average squad

A laughing stock amongst neutral fans and the media

Poor football

Low attendances

Thank god though for that shiny new pub and my warm scarf:

Wish I could argue with the above but sadly that is where we are at. Like you say in 5 and half years on the pitch, where it really matters, we have pretty much come full circle. Whilst I am 100% certain that Randy set out hoping for far better I am also certain that he is also ultimately responsible for the shit we are now being served up.

Can't argue with some of B-J's points, but "Laughing Stock" - I don't think that's true at all. and Low attendances - it's all relative, but given the state of the econonmy, and the state of the team and so on, they're actually reasonably good IMO. Everton with a popular manager and a possibly better squad, also with no money have worse attendances, for example. They had 31K on Saturday for their game with Norwich (with plenty of Norwich fans there) 4000 less than were at the equivalent game at VP a month or so ago.

The issues are not unique to VP - they're more widespread than that, though there's obviously some that are Villa specific.

Really? This rubbish again?

So it's rubbish.........

Firstly is there any proof that MoN was the only person involved in contract negotiations? Secondly does the owner of the club not have to sign off on them? Regardless of what MoN negotiated Randy Lerner could have said no at any point.

.....but you agree with the point any way

:D

Can't argue with some of B-J's points, but "Laughing Stock" - I don't think that's true at all. and Low attendances - it's all relative, but given the state of the econonmy, and the state of the team and so on, they're actually reasonably good IMO. Everton with a popular manager and a possibly better squad, also with no money have worse attendances, for example. They had 31K on Saturday for their game with Norwich (with plenty of Norwich fans there) 4000 less than were at the equivalent game at VP a month or so ago.

The issues are not unique to VP - they're more widespread than that, though there's obviously some that are Villa specific.

I am not too sure that Moyes is too popular with the Everton faithful, his popularity is certainly waning, but they are in the same boat as us anyway, they have no money and need to cut back. If they kick out the manager, they are not removing the problem.

But of course if many on here get their way and McLeish is removed tomorrow, we can then move on to the next manager, and the next problem for them to gripe about.

Â