The Randy Lerner thread

CI

But of course if many on here get their way and McLeish is removed tomorrow, we can then move on to the next manager, and the next problem for them to gripe about.

Are you suggesting that those unhappy with the current manager will just moan about anyone in charge?

If our useless owner could hire someone half decent the fans maybe wouldn't have much to complain about.

But of course if many on here get their way and McLeish is removed tomorrow, we can then move on to the next manager, and the next problem for them to gripe about.

Are you suggesting that those unhappy with the current manager will just moan about anyone in charge?

If our useless owner could hire someone half decent the fans maybe wouldn't have much to complain about.

Given the large number of people who were complaining about the fact that Hughes might succeed Houllier, yes, I am.

If our 'useless owner' hired someone with fan approval, would that promote him to being a 'useful owner'? He did that before, backed his manager to the hilt in the transfer market, and still ended up with the daily abuse of people on various internet message boards.

In the end, I don't like McLeish's football, like I didn't like the football of the previous two incumbents, but there is no point in removing him at this time. His task is to oversee the playing side during a period of austerity and cutbacks, making sure that we don't get relegated. As many on here have pointed out, he has the perfect experience to see that task through.

Given the large number of people who were complaining about the fact that Hughes might succeed Houllier, yes, I am.
But is that really the case? I was one of the people who didn't particularly want Hughes in the beginning but that was only because I thought we could attract somebody big. As soon as McLeish became a reality I would've taken Hughes in a heartbeat, and still would obviously. If Hughes was appointed in the summer do you really think there'd be anymore than a few grumbles on message boards?

In the end, I don't like McLeish's football, like I didn't like the football of the previous two incumbents, but there is no point in removing him at this time. His task is to oversee the playing side during a period of austerity and cutbacks, making sure that we don't get relegated. As many on here have pointed out, he has the perfect experience to see that task through.

Whoah, hang on a second. Are you actually suggesting that AM has the 'perfect experience' that he can keep a club up who tightens the belt in the Premier League? Really? :lol:

Whoah, hang on a second. Are you actually suggesting that AM has the 'perfect experience' that he can keep a club up who tightens the belt in the Premier League? Really? :lol:

Indeed. This is the man that got SHA relegated twice in two seasons FFS.

But is that really the case? I was one of the people who didn't particularly want Hughes in the beginning but that was only because I thought we could attract somebody big. As soon as McLeish became a reality I would've taken Hughes in a heartbeat, and still would obviously. If Hughes was appointed in the summer do you really think there'd be anymore than a few grumbles on message boards?

But therein lies the problem. Who's big?

At the time mentioned favourites were Ancelotti(hmm), Benitez (useless), Jol (makes Benitez look good) and Rijkaard (not fit to sweep the North Stand car park). Hughes would have been eminently more suited to manage Aston Villa than any of those but, as you say, he has only become attractive to some after McLeish became a reality.

I think Hughes was sounded out about the Villa job and didn't fancy the constraints that he needed to work under. Hiring managers nowadays is different. Many of them earned enough money when they were playing to pick and choose in management, as they won't go hungry while sitting at home. Hughes is one such manager.

Undoubtedly the best manager to be freely available in the last couple of years, which the vast majority of us would have scorned even the thought of, including me, was Sam Allardyce. He was a big miss for Randy Lerner, as he would be the best man for the job as it is now.

Indeed. This is the man that got SHA relegated twice in two seasons FFS.

Exactly. He has the experience and knows the pitfalls :D

Benitez (useless)

That useless he won a Champions League with an average squad 3-0 at halftime, brought them to another CL final, and took Fergie to the wire for the Premier League. Throw in an FA Cup and La Liga title with Valencia. Yep, clearly useless.

I actually agree Sam Allardyce would've been much better.

He is undeniably a class above McLeish certainly.

He would make us hard to beat and is less negative and actually knows how to win games ugly.

Often gets overlooked he can sign a player or two as well -ie- Anelka , Okocha , Djorkaeff etc whilst at Bolton.

Don't get me wrong i think he has sides often playing garbage football but he gets an end product in terms of results - something that McLeish is utterly hopeless at.

Ok, I think I've worked it out, Randy's having a mid-life crisis. Let's look at the evidence

Buys an English Soccer team

Trades the wife in for a younger model

Trades the jet in for a younger model

Bizzarre managerial appointments

He would make us hard to beat and is less negative and actually knows how to win games ugly.

Often gets overlooked he can sign a player or two as well -ie- Anelka , Okocha , Djorkaeff etc whilst at Bolton.

Don't get me wrong i think he has sides often playing garbage football but he gets an end product in terms of results - something that McLeish is utterly hopeless at.

I would not want Big Sam as our manager long term but he would do a far superior job to McLeish at the moment.

The key phrase you used was "He would make us hard to beat" At the moment we are the softest of softest touches to beat as a distinctly average Liverpool side proved yesterday.

The more I see of McLeish as our manager, and was one who was prepared to give him a chance, the more I realise what a truly disastrous appointment he has turned out to be.

Ah I've figured out Randy's plan now.

He saw that many people thought that we should get someone better than Mark Hughes who he really wanted. He then hired McLeish knowing full well that he would be utter shit for us. Now people are begging for Hughes and he will be like the messiah when he's hired!

He's very cunning that Lerner guy.

Ah I've figured out Randy's plan now.

He saw that many people thought that we should get someone better than Mark Hughes who he really wanted. He then hired McLeish knowing full well that he would be utter shit for us. Now people are begging for Hughes and he will be like the messiah when he's hired!

He's very cunning that Lerner guy.

That's what I was thinking. Mark Hughes probably is behind it all. :lol:

Hard to beat, less negative, win ugly, often playing garbage football....

....so Allardyce would be an astute version of O'Neill?

Hard to beat, less negative, win ugly, often playing garbage football....

....so Allardyce would be an astute version of O'Neill?

Somewhere around that, could aspire to better though I think.. But winning ugly beats drawing ugly!

Â