The Randy Lerner thread

CI

But what does it actually mean that the club dies a little more!? Are we on the road to administration and heading towards no longer existing as a football club!? No.

We'll still be here for a long time. The club isn't dying at all. It's less capable of challenging amongst the big guns - something we last did regularly before women got the right to vote - or battling it out for eighth place, but dying!? No. Nothing of the melodramatic sort.

Its an emotive word sure but if you consider that the life blood of a club should be to produce the best team/results it can and to try and compete and achieve the best that it can it fits.

Every season we get further and further away from being a competitive club thanks to Lerner, so no the club isn't going to stop existing because of him but in terms of it being a club run as anything other than a business, that has been dying for 4 years or so.

Its all about our financial position and has been for years now, that isn't football its business and Lerner isn't even good at that.

Our average crowds and ST numbers are about the same. I think last year the average went up so we aren't dying and it would only take 2/3 players of quality to for us to be easily pushing top 10. Lerner has realised that he hasn't got the means to get us where he wants so is looking for a buyer as we all know. When he was spending loads was there any complaints? The only mistake I think he has made which he is solely to blame for is McLeish. Other than that he has tried to do his best for the club unfortunately in trying to get success it's ended in failure but what would you rather have? Mid table mediocrity or an owner that wants to succeed? At the minute most would be happy with mid table but long term we all want success so hopefully Lerner will sell to the right owner and pass on his experience so we don't go down the same path but once he's gone I'll remember that he was here for 8 years and not 4.

.....McLeish had one season at Villa.

he was never the right choice we all know that , but the persecution of the man from some quarters borders on absurd.

He was one of many that made no contribution to the long term improvement of Aston Villa Football club

Its like blaming Roy Hodgson for the demise of the International team.

• Like 2

.....McLeish had one season at Villa.

he was never the right choice we all know that , but the persecution of the man from some quarters borders on absurd.

He was one of many that made no contribution to the long term improvement of Aston Villa Football club

Its like blaming Roy Hodgson for the demise of the International team.

Bored? Nothing to do? Why not develop fairly irrational seething hatred towards somebody for something? Coming soon to a football fan near you.

• Like 1

I just can't wait for Lerner to go. Regardless of how you personally feel about him, having him here is akin to living with a woman that has told she no longer loves you or wants you in her life.

The sooner Lerner goes the sooner we can start to rebuild our rudderless club.

I'm not sure anyone knows for sure whose decision it was to employ O'Neill. If that was Lerner's, I guess you could even argue that all his manager's have been poor decisions by him.

Regardless of who employed MON he was regarded as a top manager and we were all happy about his appointment at the time.

I don't blame Lerner for backing MON but he and the board are to blame for giving him so much power.

I'm not sure anyone knows for sure whose decision it was to employ O'Neill. If that was Lerner's, I guess you could even argue that all his manager's have been poor decisions by him.

Regardless of who employed MON he was regarded as a top manager and we were all happy about his appointment at the time.

I don't blame Lerner for backing MON but he and the board are to blame for giving him so much power.

Fair shout Amo. Maybe the decision to hire wasn't poor but, the decision to give him so much power was.

Only nobody blames McLeish for our demise as this thread well shows. People just didn't like him or his turgid football although why we are talking about him in this thread I'm really not sure.

Well, AMO 69 mentioned the appointment earlier.... i was merely trying to point out that despite the hatred towards the man he was the perfect foil for some less despised members of previous management to get out of jail.

If appointing Alex Mcleish was the ONLY fault that Lerner has made. We wouldn't be in this state and RL may have not lost interest.

My View is that appointing Mcleish just about got on the riecter scale....recruiting the best part of 100 million's worth of players we got nothing from was much more in keeping with why we are, where we are.

Only nobody blames McLeish for our demise as this thread well shows. People just didn't like him or his turgid football although why we are talking about him in this thread I'm really not sure.

Well, AMO 69 mentioned the appointment earlier.... i was merely trying to point out that despite the hatred towards the man he was the perfect foil for some less despised members of previous management to get out of jail.

If appointing Alex Mcleish was the ONLY fault that Lerner has made. We wouldn't be in this state and RL may have not lost interest.

I referred to the Mcleish appointment as more of a screw you to the fans than the fact he was such a poor manager. Some fans are always going to disagree with appointment but when 99% of fans including thousands protesting at the ground are ignored, that's when it was the beginning of the end.

I can't talk for others but I don't hate McLeish, I'm not sure anyone does. I hate that he was appointed as our manager and that has nothing to do with him coming from across town. 

If anyone actually thinks McLeish is Lerner's only mistake then they would be kidding themselves, but again I'm not sure anyone does.

• Like 1

I wish that McLeish was his only mistake! I don't even think it was his worst mistake TBH!

The lack of an experienced footballing CEO would have prevented most of Lerner's errors of judgement? Even keeping on Steve Stride would have helped greatly but alas he was forced out!

Whoever he wants to blame, let him.

The reality of the situation is that its all his own fault. He threw money at it, which is fine if you are using it as a building block. His expenditure got him to Wembley and nearly into the champions league.

The wages and contracts were not some sneaky con by agents and the managers.

You pull the plug and sell your best players, there is only one outcome.

Maybe a bit simplistic but it tells most of the story.

For me he did half a job and then decided to do a complete about turn. In his first 4 seasons we had around a 70 mill net spend and the sixth highest wage bill in the league and for that we had established ourselves as a top 6 club which was a decent achievement. It needed to built on though not recklessly abandoned.

He has made poor managerial decisions and had a clueless approach to the clubs finances going from throwing money around to penny pinching. The only saving grace I can see is in the last 4 years we have some how not been relegated. If he is here much longer I am not sure if we will still be able to say that.

For me he did half a job and then decided to do a complete about turn. In his first 4 seasons we had around a 70 mill net spend and the sixth highest wage bill in the league and for that we had established ourselves as a top 6 club which was a decent achievement. It needed to built on though not recklessly abandoned.

But how can you sustain that level of spending on transfers and wages when 80% (or whatever it was) of your turnover goes on wages?

It's easy to say "increase income"... but a football club from Birmingham finishing 6th isn't all that desirable, if we had have made the Champions League it may be a completely different story now. But that's just ifs and buts...

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Â