The Randy Lerner thread

CI

After reading the report below i have to admit i do feel a little better about all things Villa!

It at least explains the thinking to a point..

1. Stabilise after chaotic 12 months - understandable

2. Bring through youth - Love this though maybe a bit too much too quick?

3. Clear wage bill - Understandable

4. Bring in a few to help the kids & provide balance - Maybe 1 or 2 in Jan?

5. Try to qualify for Europe - Over to you McCleish!

6. Once back in Europe then move things forward once again - Good Plan!

Don't let's get carried away. Let's wait till January to see where the land lies.

After reading the report below i have to admit i do feel a little better about all things Villa!

Don't let's get carried away. Let's wait till January to see where the land lies.

Hey please don't kill the 1st slightly positive feeling i've had for Villa for nearly 2 years!.. Let me enjoy my delusion a little longer... pleeeease!

The OS interview is interesting in a couple of areas, and it's good he's done it.

The things that I picked up as being interesting to me are the admission on the communication side of things and the stuff about the future

"part of my job is to be visible - even while remaining, some might suggest, quiet to silent! - and I've not done that well enough. I know that to some extent and I've been at this long enough for people to know that I'm committed and yet at the same time, given the craziness we've faced over the last 18 months, I should have done more. Certainly I could have been more communicative."

So taking that acknowledged lack of communication and looking at this part:

"f I'm not always sure of what's next but I'd love to come up with a plan for the North Stand and yet I'd also like to strengthen the squad. Our goal, originally, was to invest across three areas: the ground, the squad and Bodymoor Heath. We felt that if that were done carefully we could grow Villa in terms of sustainable revenue and that would give us some flexibility moving forward. ... I'd say that we are focused on running Villa well and fighting to be in position, ultimately, to get back into Europe. If we can get that to happen, I'd expect that more will follow."

It seems that the focus is on getting the team as competitive as possible, and plans for the North Stand redevelopment and other things are on hold. Combined with the ""What's more, I had been very hard on our guys on the business side regarding our wage bill to revenue level' part, they are going to need to keep us informed from time to time on where we stand - It looks like right now it's "steady the ship, get the wages right", after a period of turmoil, and I think that's right. But we'll need to be told when this more short term stuff is at an end, and what the vision and plans are once that's been achieved.

The reason, to me, that's so important is because while it's absolutely fine to bail out the flood water and steady the course, that absolutely can't be the sole aim. That's what it was like for a long time under Ellis - just trying to muddle along, with no idea of where we intended to go, or how to get there. It's OK in an emergency, but not as a whole ethos.

When Randy fist came along we were given a direction, an ambition, some fuel to try and get there. We hit some rough water, but once out of it, we need to set sail again, and people need to see where we're going, and how we're goign to try and get there, because if they can't, they'll abandon ship - players and fans.

I'm pretty sure the interview with the official site is the exactly the same interview as the one with the Times, some of the quotes are identical. The Times article had just edited the interview a lot more.

He does sound committed, but the interview itself will do little to convince doubters he will take us forward.

Once through december and we ar ein the bottom 3, then we'll see the lack of quality from top to bottom at this club.

Why is it when people say this I always get the feeling they want it to happen so they can say they were right?

Why would I be so desperate for success if I was so desperate for us to be bottom 3? The whole point is not about being proved right but about fighting for what this club is worth.

Hey please don't kill the 1st slightly positive feeling i've had for Villa for nearly 2 years!.. Let me enjoy my delusion a little longer... pleeeease!

:( Yes, I'm sorry to sound a bit deflating.

However, these interviews seem to suggest that all is OK really, and that we just need to wait awhile to see the fruit.

If that turns out to be the case, then that would be very fine.

Christmas comes up before January, so let's emit some good will for the next few weeks and perhaps thus help to get the team through a difficult fixture list.

The OS interview is interesting in a couple of areas, and it's good he's done it.

The things that I picked up as being interesting to me are the admission on the communication side of things and the stuff about the future

"part of my job is to be visible - even while remaining, some might suggest, quiet to silent! - and I've not done that well enough. I know that to some extent and I've been at this long enough for people to know that I'm committed and yet at the same time, given the craziness we've faced over the last 18 months, I should have done more. Certainly I could have been more communicative."

So taking that acknowledged lack of communication and looking at this part:

"f I'm not always sure of what's next but I'd love to come up with a plan for the North Stand and yet I'd also like to strengthen the squad. Our goal, originally, was to invest across three areas: the ground, the squad and Bodymoor Heath. We felt that if that were done carefully we could grow Villa in terms of sustainable revenue and that would give us some flexibility moving forward. ... I'd say that we are focused on running Villa well and fighting to be in position, ultimately, to get back into Europe. If we can get that to happen, I'd expect that more will follow."

It seems that the focus is on getting the team as competitive as possible, and plans for the North Stand redevelopment and other things are on hold. Combined with the ""What's more, I had been very hard on our guys on the business side regarding our wage bill to revenue level' part, they are going to need to keep us informed from time to time on where we stand - It looks like right now it's "steady the ship, get the wages right", after a period of turmoil, and I think that's right. But we'll need to be told when this more short term stuff is at an end, and what the vision and plans are once that's been achieved.

The reason, to me, that's so important is because while it's absolutely fine to bail out the flood water and steady the course, that absolutely can't be the sole aim. That's what it was like for a long time under Ellis - just trying to muddle along, with no idea of where we intended to go, or how to get there. It's OK in an emergency, but not as a whole ethos.

When Randy fist came along we were given a direction, an ambition, some fuel to try and get there. We hit some rough water, but once out of it, we need to set sail again, and people need to see where we're going, and how we're goign to try and get there, because if they can't, they'll abandon ship - players and fans.

Good post tbh, one thing I completely agree with is your last paragraph.

Once through december and we ar ein the bottom 3, then we'll see the lack of quality from top to bottom at this club.

so you expect us to lose all our games from now to Christmas?

Even if we did I'd be very surprised if we were in the bottom 3.

I think that you will find that it is difficult in most industries. The FA run football in this country, and they struggle to find credible chief executives or even England team managers that can bring the tools at their disposal to anywhere that approaches success.

I guess that the majority of people on ths forum do not work in the football industry, but as a discussion group i don't thnk that it is unreasonable to ask people to back up their statements.

I am not saying it is easy. I have looked for CEOs a number of times (not in football) and it is normally very hard to find the perfect candidate as everybody has their strengths and weaknesses. However, when I look at PF I see only weaknesses and a general lack of experience. I can see no logical reason for his appointment other than the fact that RL knows him and knows that he will do as he says. I do not consider that to be a suitable reason for his selection. Whilst finding the right candidate would not be easy that does not excuse the route of taking the completely wrong candidate.

I feel the same about the Manager position.

FWIW I agree on Faulkner, although I would probably afford the owner the respect that he trusts Faulkner, rather than 'knows that he will do as he says'. When you hire people you want them to make a difference, and those who 'do what you say' or tell you what you want to hear rarely make any difference at all.

As far as McLeish is concerned, I think that he is a good man who is doing a good job. His 'candidacy' involved presenting a CV similar to O'Neill's, although with the wider experience of international management and the misfortune of relegation. I am sure that there are people that I would have preferred the club to target, but they would not have included the 'popular' targets cited on here at the time of Ancelotti, Jol and Rijkaard.

And of course the loud choruses of disapproval of Hughes were loud and strong on VT.

We have a good owner, not without his faults, but a good owner nonetheless, and probably the most committed manager since GT.

I think that we should just get on with it.

So, we are expected to sit back and accept? Why did nobody say this under Ellis or even last season when things were shit?

For what it is worth I think we are 3 or 4 players away from being a very competitive team I just do not trust the board or manager to find those players or the finance.

So, we are expected to sit back and accept? Why did nobody say this under Ellis or even last season when things were shit?

For what it is worth I think we are 3 or 4 players away from being a very competitive team I just do not trust the board or manager to find those players or the finance.

In fairness, they have to be given till January at least before we should come to a firm view on whether they are building a decent future or not.

Agree time is needed, I just do not believe in them - I would love to be proved wrong. I fully expect the sale of Bent and replaced by somebody like Morrison of Norwich and then perhaps one more reinforcement with the money raised. When what we need is to build a team around Benty, replace the older players - the four positions are replace Petrov, a right winger, a centre back to replace Collins and another striker who can play in and with Gabby and Bent. followed with the use of Gardner and other youngsters to supplement the whole squad and I think we'll be an exciting prospect.

I just cannot see it happening.

Â