The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Yeah I think Randy needs to feel some heat. This is bullshit as the Americans say.

Agree - He doesn't like the limelight so if his name got dragged through the mud in the media...who knows

Don't know about his net spend - but the fee's paid for the team we put out v swansea was around £6m - Barley enough for 1 player.....

Unless I've misunderstood, that can't be right can it?

No I don't think it is right, our team cost about half of what Swansea's did, they had one player on the pitch that cost about the same as all of ours together though.

It's interesting. I generally think shrewd buys are the way to go but it shouldn't be the only plan. Look at West Ham and Sunderland, ridiculous contracts for established players with PL experience and they're at the bottom of the table. I do however think we're sailing to close to the wind in the other direction and think that promising players with the odd big signing (like Bony) would be better.

Edited by Chap of Steel
  • Like 1

Yeah I think Randy needs to feel some heat. This is bullshit as the Americans say.

Agree - He doesn't like the limelight so if his name got dragged through the mud in the media...who knows

Don't know about his net spend - but the fee's paid for the team we put out v swansea was around £6m - Barley enough for 1 player.....

Unless I've misunderstood, that can't be right can it?

No I don't think it is right, our team cost about half of what Swansea's did, they had one player on the pitch that cost about the same as all of ours together though.

It's nonsense, Delph cost that much by himself.  Valuing a team by the fees paid isn't much of a guide anyway, as we've got Agbonlahor, Weimann, Clark and Baker who didn't cost anything because they're through the youth system.  However, if you'd have applied this to the Man U team of Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, the two Nevilles etc, then that didn't cost much either.

• Like 1

but the fee's paid for the team we put out v swansea was around £6m - Barley enough for 1 player.....

There's not much of a grain of truth in that, but we need to sort the wheat from the chaff, urgently.

but the fee's paid for the team we put out v swansea was around £6m - Barley enough for 1 player.....

There's not much of a grain of truth in that, but we need to sort the wheat from the chaff, urgently.

Sorry - yes the actual story was that Delph on that day cost as much as the rest of the starting 11 - the only players we paid fees for were Lowton, Westwood, Bacuna - so that's probably about right......

Sorry - yes the actual story was that Delph on that day cost as much as the rest of the starting 11 - the only players we paid fees for were Lowton, Westwood, Bacuna - so that's probably about right......

That's fine - I was just punning, Smetrov (Drat wasn't around)

Some of the anti-lerner, 'get the £ signs out' stuff is outrageous.

He gave o'neill the freedom to spend over £120 million in 4 seasons and in turn o'neill almost destroyed us by giving average players ridiculously high wages (delph for example from league 1 to over £40k a week?!?!?, bannan and delfonseuo on £20k a week ffs!!!) and over 90% of our income went on wages! Not sustainable.

Of course he had to cut the wage bill and the spending down to avoid us becoming another Portsmouth. Eventually within the next season or 2 we will be spending again now only 48% of our income goes on wages.

After all the spending randy has done not only on players but on improving the facilities of our club for players and fans alike, whilst keeping ticket prices low (in comparison to other clubs) then the criticism is bordering on disgraceful.

• Like 1

Yep it was terrible when MON sold Milner, Young and Downing. For all of MON’s sins the mess we are in is not just his fault.

He is the main culprit though. Left to himself to piss our money away and when questioned that the wage bill was getti jg way to high he threw his toys out of his pram like a baby. Like I said giving young players like bannan, fonz etc £20k a week each, a league 1 youngster over £40k a week, players like knight, davies, Harewood £40k a week. Paying inflated prices for average players.

Mcleish has to take a smaller blame though giving given and hutton ridiculously inflated contracts despite being instructed to cut down our wage bill.

The highest up the chain takes the ultimate responsibility. Lerner can only blame himself for the mess we have been in. If people want the pantomime villain then MON fits the bill. If you want the person who needs to put his hands up and explain everything, then thats Lerner. Who signed Ireland and sold Milner, and then paid Ireland more than anyone?

O'Neil was a joke please don't start me on him. Ok Lerner is not blameless on giving him 120 million to waste, but he totally trusted O'Neil an he took the piss, set us back years. I will always wonder what would have happened if Lerner would have took on any other manager.

O'Neil was a joke please don't start me on him. Ok Lerner is not blameless on giving him 120 million to waste, but he totally trusted O'Neil an he took the piss, set us back years. I will always wonder what would have happened if Lerner would have took on any other manager.

I am a lone voice in saying that, had O'Leary been given half the money of O'Neill, I think that we would have won a trophy and been a consistent top 6 occupant by now.

Two monumental tossers, but I make O'Leary the better manager.

Lerner's fault imo was to trust o'neill to single handily almost destroy our club with his reckless spending and to appoint Paul Faulkner. Faulkner was the guy who was in trusted to appoint mcleish and lambert and both have been disasters thus far.

I am a lone voice in saying that, had O'Leary been given half the money of O'Neill, I think that we would have won a trophy and been a consistent top 6 occupant by now.

I agree totally.

The highest up the chain takes the ultimate responsibility. Lerner can only blame himself for the mess we have been in. If people want the pantomime villain then MON fits the bill. If you want the person who needs to put his hands up and explain everything, then thats Lerner. Who signed Ireland and sold Milner, and then paid Ireland more than anyone?

Hold on we got a fantastic price for Milner. Ireland was city's player of the year and us fans couldnt have been more excited to sign a 'top class' premiership player like Ireland. No one could ever invisage the utter disaster he would become.

Blindly trusting someone with the over £100m and the future of the club, and not having any sort of oversight is something that only a monumental cretin that never earned his own wealth would do.

And he'd still be talking about Leeds.

Hold on we got a fantastic price for Milner. Ireland was city's player of the year and us fans couldnt have been more excited to sign a 'top class' premiership player like Ireland. No one could ever invisage the utter disaster he would become.

I thought he was a disaster waiting to happen, and I was not alone in this. Ireland had one good season; he hadn’t played for a whole season when we decided to go through with the deal

We got good money for Milner, but whats the point if you waste it? 

As soon as MON walked, all deals should have been off; Milner would have been a Villa player that the future manager could decide what to do with. Probably if he had stayed we might have attracted a better manager than Houllier?

I am not trying to argue that MON isn’t to blame for this mess, but we have so many misguided people in this sorry saga. But one person is common to all of this; the owner.

Edited by PauloBarnesi

Lerner gets full and ultimate blame for sanctioning MON's wanton spending-spree. I don't buy the whole 'naivety' excuse at all. He is a business man, we are a business and he allowed the finances to get out of control.

Lerner gets full and ultimate blame for sanctioning MON's wanton spending-spree. I don't buy the whole 'naivety' excuse at all. He is a business man, we are a business and he allowed the finances to get out of control.

Naaa im not aving this. Ok Lerner was a little naive, but O'Neil had a good rep at the time and was brought in not just as a manager but as a footballing man to help us on to better things. All he did was waste 100+ million on medicore players, took the piss out of Lerner and only managed us 6th place. That was enough in those days to be at least top 4. The team after 100 mill was dire they just grafted for MON. The way O'Neil left in the end was a F******* disgrace, Lerner had upmost respect for O'Neil and once Lerner saw the error of his ways O'Neil threw his toys out the pram.

• Like 1

Â