Aleksandar Tonev - 2m

Leandro Bacuna - 2.5m

Jores Okore - 3,5m

Libor Kozák - 4m

Out

Bent - 2m

Bannan - 1m

Makoun - 2m

So, about 10m spent? (I might have a few fees wrong, only by a little) but that indeed is shocking.

Give Lambert 20m to sign 2/3 midfielders please Randolph or just hurry up and sell

I wish that would solve the problem, more like £30m for 2/3 midfielders. And why stop there - how about another £30m for 2/3 decent defenders?

Being brutal, we have not progressed under Lerner's tenure. We are year-in year-out relegation fodder. I have been a supporter since the early 80s and my recollection is generally of Villa on the fringe of the top, the nearly-men, and that was OK, but the past three years have been desperate. Its all well with the general Lambert poilcy of buying young, hungry promising kids, but you really need a solid backbone to provide the platform to blood the youngsters. 

Tottenham got it right because they invested in youngsters, bought some decent players where they needed to, but generally kept wages in check which is what has killed us and forced the fire sales.

A serious rethink is needed me thinks.

• Like 1

So transfers in, what was it?

So, about 10m spent? (I might have a few fees wrong, only by a little) but that indeed is shocking.

IMO their way of thinking is that it would require too much spending to jump up the table significantly - a level of spending they cannot afford. 

They'd need to spend at least 150 mil to get into top 6 - Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea.

They'd need to spend at least 50 miil to get into top 10 - Everton, Swansea, Southampton, Newcastle.

Then there's the tier they're aiming for - 11th-15th, where no such investment is needed, as long as relegation is not looming. The investment to jump from that 11-15th bracket to 7th-10th is just too big.

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan

Give Lambert 20m to sign 2/3 midfielders please Randolph or just hurry up and sell

I wish that would solve the problem, more like £30m for 2/3 midfielders. And why stop there - how about another £30m for 2/3 decent defenders?

Being brutal, we have not progressed under Lerner's tenure. We are year-in year-out relegation fodder. I have been a supporter since the early 80s and my recollection is generally of Villa on the fringe of the top, the nearly-men, and that was OK, but the past three years have been desperate. Its all well with the general Lambert poilcy of buying young, hungry promising kids, but you really need a solid backbone to provide the platform to blood the youngsters. 

Tottenham got it right because they invested in youngsters, bought some decent players where they needed to, but generally kept wages in check which is what has killed us and forced the fire sales.

I'm not so sure about it being out of reach.. we have a good set of players in the first team who can improve. The problem comes because we do not have anybody to replace these when they are off form, our reserve squad is pretty awful - to the point that we actually are forced to play first team players as we just do not have enough quality.

Look above, we spent around the 10m mark, teams in the championship spend this, promoted teams spend this, teams in mid table spend a lot more than this. We are expecting our manager to find diamond after diamond and it does not happen, ask Wenger and Ferguson, for every Anelka or Solskjaer, there is a Djemba Djemba or Christopher Wreh.

20m on top - hell, even 10 million on top of this 10m spent and we could look at another central defender and perhaps that illusive player who can put his foot on the ball and link Westwood, to the above mentioned, to Benteke.

What we have spent does not assure quality, it assures we have a few players with plenty of rough edges who might (or might not) come good.

Gambling...

• Like 1

So transfers in, what was it?

IMO their way of thinking is that it would require too much spending to jump up the table significantly - a level of spending they cannot afford. 

They'd need to spend at least 150 mil to get into top 6 - Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea.

They'd need to spend at least 50 miil to get into top 10 - Everton, Swansea, Southampton, Newcastle.

Then there's the tier they're aiming for - 11th-15th, where no such investment is needed, as long as relegation is looming. The investment to jump from that 11-15th bracket to 7th-10th is just too big.

But at the same time, 10m spent is not moving forward, it is perhaps not even standing still, it is closer to moving backwards as we have to have immediate success from players who might not come good for a long time.

A serious rethink took place three years ago and the part of your comment in bold is where  we are now at.  I can see us starting to sign "decent players" once more over the next couple of seasons.  If we do sell Benteke for big  money, for example, I can see us buying two or three £10-15 million bracket players to improve the squad further.

A serious rethink took place three years ago and the part of your comment in bold is where  we are now at.  I can see us starting to sign "decent players" once more over the next couple of seasons.  If we do sell Benteke for big  money, for example, I can see us buying two or three £10-15 million bracket players to improve the squad further.

Really - if we sold bentekke for £40m - I would see us investing no more than £8m in any one player.l

Sell Benteke and we would absolutely need to spend what we got for him on players, I too doubt that will happen as thats an awful big repayment on Lerners Loans which seems to be the thing that is the no.1 factor in the running of our club.

Lerner bought the club and took a gamble, if he wasnt prepared to lose the money he shouldnt have bothered in the first place. 

Lerner will destroy our club.

• Like 1

On what planet? We were a handful of points off the top 10 last year ffs

thats an awful big repayment on Lerners Loans which seems to be the thing that is the no.1 factor in the running of our club.

Like all the huge repayments so far? Oh, wait, hold on...

At the moment he's still putting more in than he's taking out. I think his intention is pretty clean - he's not milking the club and I don't think he's going to make a massive profit when he sells it with the debt - I suspect he knows he can't afford to pay for us to compete and I think he's intending to both keep the club secure enough and prep it for a buyer if one comes around. It's not exciting, it's not going to push us up to sixth, but given the limitations of what he can financially achieve, I think it's sensible.

• Like 1

So he's taking the money he's spent back and will 100% get a lot more money for the club when he sells it if we stay in the prem. Why does he get such a free pass then?

I think pwople are just thankful that the absentee yankee clearing in the woods isn't Doug.

• Like 1

Â