Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

Westwood's PSR is lower because he actually attempts to play a ball forward. PSR is as useless as Con's win% stat.

Come on, Isa, you're better than that. No context on that stat whatsoever. 

I accept that. I am trying to identify his function in the team. Last season, his sideways passes were credited as possession retention and often termed as 'ticking us over' etc. Now it seems to be different? 

Also, thank you for thinking that I'm 'better then that' as I thought I had little credibility on here... :)

I mean, I know you're no Con ;).

But he's supposed to keep the ball moving.

Unfortunately, with no Delph, KEA and Sylla's backward passes, two fullbacks that don't get forward enough for the formation, a woefully out of form striker replaced with another target man...

Well, you get the point. It's hard to keep things 'ticking' when there's no one to pass it to.

Edited by Kwan

Not only does he keep things ticking but he also tries to pass the ball forward, it is entirely possible for him to do more than one thing isn't it? He put Weimann in on goal in the first half with a great forward pass.

Define 'ticking over' then? I'm not sure how you can keep things ticking over when you give away 28% of your passes. 

I mean, I know you're no Con ;).

But he's supposed to keep the ball moving.

Unfortunately, with no Delph, KEA and Sylla's backward passes, two fullbacks that don't get forward enough for the formation, a woefully out of form striker replaced with another target man...

Well, you get the point. It's hard to keep things 'ticking' when there's no one to pass it to.

To be fair that is true to an extent. The midfield balance wasn't there at all. I wouldn't mind trying Westwood further up alongside Delph with Sylla holding. It is him being the DM that I have most issue with. 

Not only does he keep things ticking but he also tries to pass the ball forward, it is entirely possible for him to do more than one thing isn't it? He put Weimann in on goal in the first half with a great forward pass.

Define 'ticking over' then? I'm not sure how you can keep things ticking over when you give away 28% of your passes. 

...because he attempts more forward passes. derp.

• Like 1

...because he attempts more forward passes. derp.

Long balls equal ticking over? We differ in definitions clearly...

Good God, is no thread safe from Isa's one-man personal crusade against Ashley Westwood? FFS, dude, we get it already.

Sylla not good today. Probably no worse than anyone else, though.

And clearly no thread is safe from reactionaries like you in his defence. I never get comments like this. I am making points about him. If you disagree then state why or don't comment at all. I don't see how making out that I hate him adds anything. At least the likes of Kwan and Dr_Pangloss respond to the points made which I respect. 

Very poor today. Another player who is simply not good enough for Aston Villa.

Didn't watch the game but he's been good enough for Villa in most of the games he's played for us.

Edited by Mantis

Good God, is no thread safe from Isa's one-man personal crusade against Ashley Westwood? FFS, dude, we get it already.

Sylla not good today. Probably no worse than anyone else, though.

And clearly no thread is safe from reactionaries like you in his defence. I never get comments like this. I am making points about him. If you disagree then state why or don't comment at all. I don't see how making out that I hate him adds anything. At least the likes of Kwan and Dr_Pangloss respond to the points made which I respect. 

I'm hardly defending him, nor would I classify any of my positions on this board as "reactionary" by any definition of the word. Maybe you're confusing me with someone else. I'm pointing out your tendency to somehow turn several threads on this forum into a place to "make points" about Westwood. He does have his own thread.

However, engaging you on it is post on poster and further adds to the irrelevance of this discussion, which is supposed to be about Sylla. I was in a foul mood after that piss poor match and would have been better off leaving it alone. Apologies.

• Like 2

I still don't get why Lambert signed him to not play him as a DM. He doesn't have much ability on the ball, so I don't see the point of playing him higher up the pitch or wider in the midfield three.

I still don't get why Lambert signed him to not play him as a DM. He doesn't have much ability on the ball, so I don't see the point of playing him higher up the pitch or wider in the midfield three.

Trouble is I'm not sure I'd be that comfortable with him sitting in front of the defence. He's that clueless with the ball at his feet I'd be worried about him making the odd clanger and putting the opposition in on goal.
  • Like 1

Trouble is I'm not sure I'd be that comfortable with him sitting in front of the defence. He's that clueless with the ball at his feet I'd be worried about him making the odd clanger and putting the opposition in on goal.

Basically, the modern DM needs to be good on the ball, not a liability on it.

Â