Paul Lambert

Pilchard

There is nothing I would like better that to be proved wrong on this one BUT the way I see it is that we could not beat Wigan in the first game of the season and we could not beat Wigan 38 games later....FFS how is that an improvement ?

Yes, I know that we lost to Wigan on the first day but changing a loss into a draw is not much of an improvement is it ?!

You've already been proved wrong. You just won't look at the proof.

1st half of season, we were 16th. 2nd half we were 9th. Improvement?

1st third, we were 18th. 2nd third, 17th. Final third, 8th. Improvement?

And that team we lost to on the first day was not Wigan, it was West Ham. Guess what we did to them when we met them next? We beat them.

Look, everyone uses the stats available in order to justify their own stance, but objectively we have improved. Whether you choose to see it or not is completely up to you.

Like I said " there is nothing I would like better than to be proved wrong" but I still think we have not improved enough.

Remember this post when we are 5-6 games into next season !

You have already been proved wrong in the post you are responding to - you just like wallowing in negativity and won't back down however much your argument gets torn to shreds

And if you are going to make a lame argument at least have the sense to select accurate facts to try to back it up. In your last few posts you have claimed that we played Wigan on the first day of the season (we didn't) and that we lost 3-1 to them in the home game (we lost 3-0). And you conveniently forgot to mention the crucial away victory at Norwich when disparaging our end-of-season efforts. Forgive people if they can't take you seriously - you literally don't know what you're talking about, and are clearly here just to try to drag everyone down to your level of pessimism 

I could barely find a good thing to say about the club 12 months ago after McBluenose smothered the remaining life out of us. It is abundantly obvious that we are in an far better place now - accept that for what it is and you might even get some pleasure out of life

• Like 1

FFS, I just do not think we have improved much......and the proof of which one of us is right will be next season.

Aww, don't be angry. It's you that cited THIS season when making your point. It was then pointed out that this season we improved so you have now moved it to NEXT season. Well played though!

I am not angry,and like I said only time will tell.

I have been a Villa supporter for over 30 years and I really,really,REALLY hope I am wrong...but I just can not shake the feeling that I am right.

Unfortunately we won't know for at least a year until we are able to play Wigan again. :)

Genius!

- 2013 - 2018 - Villa win the league every year, 3 Champions Leagues and 4 other domestic cups

- 2019 - 2020 - Wigan are promoted back to the Premier League. Villa beat them 4-1 away and 5-1 at home. PussEKatt grudgingly admits that there are signs of the green shoots of recovery, and that Lambert should be given one more year to prove himself up to the job

true! bring back some old shit experienced pros! bring back playing 7 defenders! stop this 4 attackers bollocks!

Ironically, it is perhaps one of the saddest indictments on Alex McLeish's ability as a manager that his team selections weren't that defensive. The personnel tended to be OK relative to what was available. It was the utterly abysmal instructions they were sent out there with that was the problem.

i'm pretty sure we went out with a back 4, and three defenders in midfield in one game, clark, warnock and hutton.

O'Hissyfit was pretty adept at cramming 6 defenders in to the team too

Our attendance numbers show that we are on the right track.

Last season average attendance at Villa Park was 33 873

This season average attendance at Villa Park was 35 059

And the last games has shown that the improvement has been at the end of the season.

Our last three home matches:

Chelsea: 42 084

Sunderland: 37 428

Fulham 37 011

Last three home matches last season:

Tottenham: 36 008

Bolton: 32 263

Sunderland: 32 557

These numbers indicates that it is not just me that is positive and feel that the team has improved a lot. The people who spend their hard earned money going to matches obviously feel the same.

Since the 1st of February, we have played 14 matches (including matches against all the top 4 teams). We got 21 points, or 1.5 points per match. Over a whole season with that form, we would get 57 points. That is an 8th place.

Yes there are reasons to be positive. Specially when we know that all players will be one year older and with more experience.

I thought in the early days McLeish got some decent attacking performances. Norwich and Blackburn at home spring to mind. As his season went on we just went more and more into disarray. You could see how much we relied on Bent playing, and the personnel and system in the end didn't match up with so many academy players HAVING to play.

Lambert eventually found a system that I think we can maintain with the decent numbers we have in certain positions. I hope Lambert's philosophy can continue with the people he's able to bring in.

There is nothing I would like better that to be proved wrong on this one BUT the way I see it is that we could not beat Wigan in the first game of the season and we could not beat Wigan 38 games later....FFS how is that an improvement ?

Yes, I know that we lost to Wigan on the first day but changing a loss into a draw is not much of an improvement is it ?!

And that team we lost to on the first day was not Wigan, it was West Ham. Guess what we did to them when we met them next? We beat them.

Look, everyone uses the stats available in order to justify their own stance, but objectively we have improved. Whether you choose to see it or not is completely up to you.

Like I said " there is nothing I would like better than to be proved wrong" but I still think we have not improved enough.

You really haven't got a clue , you are totally wrong and we are undoubtedly improving!

In the final ten games of the 11/12 season we lost 5 and drew 5 - we didn't win one game and got 5 points

In the final ten games of the 12/13 season we won 5 games, drew 2 games and lost 3 (to Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool) and got 17 points.

We are now a far better team than last season, we finished a far better team in 2nd half of this season than in the first half and all the statistics prove it. What part don't you understand?

Things are miles better the end of this season, than the end of last. We have a manager who can pluck rabbits out of the hat in the transfer market for a start.

That said I am not optimistic as some - our defense can scarcley hold a lead longer than 15 minutes, and the manager has warned not to expect any big fee signings. So it ain't all roses.

Spoke to a first team premiership player today from another club.... Said villa will do really well next season, their developing players will be that much better.

You really haven't got a clue , you are totally wrong and we are undoubtedly improving!

In the final ten games of the 11/12 season we lost 5 and drew 5 - we didn't win one game and got 5 points

In the final ten games of the 12/13 season we won 5 games, drew 2 games and lost 3 (to Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool) and got 17 points.

We are now a far better team than last season, we finished a far better team in 2nd half of this season than in the first half and all the statistics prove it. What part don't you understand?

It's like pushing water up an hill

Ok so, we have had our fair share of false dawns.

My worry mike is the lack of visionaries on here.

For those that can' t see improvement..... Give it 12 months and see the difference.

Things are miles better the end of this season, than the end of last. We have a manager who can pluck rabbits out of the hat in the transfer market for a start.

That said I am not optimistic as some - our defense can scarcley hold a lead longer than 15 minutes, and the manager has warned not to expect any big fee signings. So it ain't all roses.

He said don't expect any big fee signings.... Did'nt say anything about not signing a good centre half

Vincent kompany .... 6mill

Joleon lescott...........24mi

Enough said

Like most I'm feeling positive about Villa again (assume largely in part to the fact my expectations have been lowered drastically over the last few years) and the Lambert revolution is looking good from what I can see.

The only concern I suppose is shipping goals - I seem to remember reading Norwich's goals conceeded column under his stewardship was pretty woeful, and ours just gone I believe is our worst ever in the Prem era.

Hold onto everyone this summer, ship the deadwood (long overdue), and rebuild the defence. Then I think we're in for our most enjoyable season since MON left.

For those that have concerns about the way in which we ship goals is perfectly understandable.

It's only been our ability to create goals in almost every minute of a game, that has kept us up.

In my view scoring goals is the most difficult thing to do, so in theory the easier task is stopping them.

It is work in progress

Give him a chance, he knows.

It's like pushing water up an hill

Ok so, we have had our fair share of false dawns.

My worry mike is the lack of visionaries on here.

For those that can' t see improvement..... Give it 12 months and see the difference.

TRO

In fairness I think most here and in the fan base at large are excited by and believe in Lambert's strategy as was evidenced by the support he has received all season and pointedly by the surge in home support towards the end of the season. I seriously believe he has a "vision" that we can progress without huge transfer spending.

Whether he can deliver remains to be seen but I am really looking forward to next season to see how we progress.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

Mike.... The last time I was this excited about a new season was during Saunders reign.

I am absolutely, utterly convinced, this guy has the right approach.

Sometimes, blind faith can piss us all off... Faith or hope without substance or back up.

I have seen enough, since February to get me excited offensively and realise there is a lot of work to be done defensively.

I believe Lambert knows all that.

• Like 1

The more I think abotu it the more optimistic I am for next season, as long as we can hold on to our best players and bring in a few that add to the group then i think we'll surprise a lot of people next season.

Mike.... The last time I was this excited about a new season was during Saunders reign.

Sometimes, blind faith can piss us all off... Faith or hope without substance or back up.

I have seen enough, since February to get me excited offensively and realise there is a lot of work to be done defensively.

Funnily enough I was thinking about how Lambert and Saunders compare. While there are absolutely fundamental differences between the make up of the squads in terms of age and experience then and now, Saunders always advocated the importance of "the team". He didn't tolerate Prima Donnas well, expected the players to work hard and press constantly. The style of play now is very different but the notion of building a "team" reminds me of Saunders approach. Like Lamberts, Saunders team were high scoring but he also had a much stronger defence. Lambert's challenge is clearly to shore up the defence. Sort that out and next year could be very interesting.

I think the gap between us and the top clubs is too great now (and maybe forver) to challenge for league honours or even a CL place but I am definitely excited by the development of "the team" and with the addition of a couple of solid defenders and maybe a couple of midfielders I think we could give more that a few teams the run around next season.

We can but dream!

I like the Saunders analogy. He knew how to build a team. It didn't happen overnight but it was worth the wait. Progress next year will be hanging on to the sort of points we dropped this year. Improving the defence is key to that but I'm desperate to hear that Benteke and other major contributors have been secured first.

Funnily enough I was thinking about how Lambert and Saunders compare. While there are absolutely fundamental differences between the make up of the squads in terms of age and experience then and now, Saunders always advocated the importance of "the team". He didn't tolerate Prima Donnas well, expected the players to work hard and press constantly. The style of play now is very different but the notion of building a "team" reminds me of Saunders approach. Like Lamberts, Saunders team were high scoring but he also had a much stronger defence. Lambert's challenge is clearly to shore up the defence. Sort that out and next year could be very interesting.

I think the gap between us and the top clubs is too great now (and maybe forver) to challenge for league honours or even a CL place but I am definitely excited by the development of "the team" and with the addition of a couple of solid defenders and maybe a couple of midfielders I think we could give more that a few teams the run around next season.

We can but dream!

Yes both managed Norwich before as well. Totally different characters though as Saunders was old school and tough. Andy Gray blames him for shortening his career.  The team of 76/77 was the most exciting team in my living memory and the 80/81 team the best one.

I'd expect Lambert to get more leeway with the signings and budget, he should've now proven to Lerner that he can be trusted with buying the players. Last summer and january might've been test to see how Lambert spends the money before club giving him more, at least I would've been very careful with the managers given how MON, Houllier and TSM used their budgets - I can see easily Lerner being much more careful giving the war chest after those three.