Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I am still not convinced that he has got it all together,I mean we beat Liverpool 1-3 and did not go on from there, we beat Sunderland 6-1 and did not go on from there.So I will wait till around 6-8 games into next season before I start to believe in him.After all, we could start with a 0-4 win at Old Trafford then lose our next 5 games.

I am also not sure about his tactics and substitutions. Against Chelski, when Bentike got red carded, surely he should have changed to a 4-4-1.Take off Wierman and replace him with Holman,That way we would have still had attacking options in midfield and Chelski still have to put up with Gabbys pace.

He has also made strange substitutions in the past.

If winning 2-1 away at a team that had only lost 4 times at home all season isn't 'going on' then I think you've set your standards a bit high.

Yeah and that too. He's ignored the Norwich game and then it's like he's comparing the 8-0 loss to Chelsea to the 2-1 loss, where we really should have won, and making them out to be equivalent performances. It's thinking like this that really makes me wonder if one or two are on a wind up. 

Im still not sold on Lambert.

His tactics and substitutions are poor and he has never been able to organise a defence

He's also not blessed with the best subs bench, eh. You can't pull a rabbit out of the hat unless there is a rabbit already in the hat. 

There's a lot of silly buggers on this thread. 

Edited by praisedmambo

His tactics and substitutions are poor and he has never been able to organise a defence

Has the team improved as the season has gone on, yes or no?

This season should be a perfect black and white example to fans of giving a manager time, if it was upto fans we would have a new manager every week and be billions in debt.

The whole morpheus was wrong about Benteke is getting rather tentative to be honest. He's on more then one occasion gladly admitted he's been wrong. Brining it up over and over again in an other discussion is somewhat below the belt in my opinion.

I've had more or less faith in Lambert through the whole season, I believe in what he's trying to do and that he had a very difficult job to do, when he took over the club, to the point that he's somewhat a savior.
However that doesn't mean Lambert is above criticism nor that Morpheus is wrong about criticizing him.
Even though I think he comes off as rather pessimistic at times.

Lambert has made some mistakes, had he not we might have been in a better position.
However I think he needed a lot of time to assess the squad properly, not just pre-season. He inherited a squad of players who were either low on confidence or didn't give a flying ****. He more or less tried to build his own new team, too quickly some would say. He needed time to instill confidence and a winning ethos upon the team, which we're starting to see now, at the end of the season.

Not only do we have a young squad but also a young manager, who's learning and getting better and better.

UTV!

I don't think you've posted one positive thing all season. Can't you see anything positive in what he is building here?

Out of interest Morpheus, do you still think Lambert got it wrong signing Benteke instead of Berbatov? :)

Out of interest do you still think Warnock was a good signing? ;)

I will take that as a no.

You were wrong about Benteke and you seemingly were wrong about Lambert. You were also wrong when you said we would be better off sacking Lambert and getting Redknapp or when you were envious of Jol's signings for Fulham who now have a squad packed with high paid players past their best on the decline.

There is no harm in being wrong, I'm happy to admit I was wrong about Warnock being a good signing although I did say at the time we had paid far too much for him.

The key is to know when you are wrong and hold your hands up, you don't seem able to do this. You tried to wriggle off the hook with Benteke, back tracking on what you'd said and claiming you weren't wrong. Now you appear to be doing the same.

You got it wrong, Lambert got his approach right, he got his signings right (not everyone but in terms of his policy) with the budget he had to work with (which I hope you have finally accepted he had a budget) and despite some horrible results this season he kept us up which I think ultimately alongside reducing wages was his remit from the chairman this season.

Is he our best ever manager? No clearly not but then I'm not sure I've seen anyone claim he is. What I do see are some people who had a belief in him this season feeling vindicated for doing so, I see others who had some doubts but held back expressing great relief that they did and I see you, who wanted him sacked desperately trying to avoid admitting that you probably got this one wrong as well.

Even with the question mark i didn't think your question on the comparison between Benteke and Berbatov was rhetorical rather that you were having a go so to speak and my reply was meant in jest. No matter.

To answer your question directly, Benteke has been twice the signing that Berbatov could have ever been for obvious reasons even though Berbatov has been arguably Fulham's best player this season. My point of view on Berbatov was for him to be played in behind Bent which i felt would have been effective. We'll never know how effective that would have been since we didn't sign Berbatov and Lambert has alienated Bent for reasons yet unknown.

You have yet again made the accusation that i tried to 'wriggle off the hook' concerning Benteke. I have previously received a warning from on site moderation concerning going around in circles in debate but since you have seen cause to broach the subject again i hope i will be allowed to retort.

I fully admitted to being wrong about Benteke and was rightly slaughtered for that. I stated that i made my call on Benteke due to his form at the start of the season which was universally described as poor by pundits and posters alike and I remember you having a pop at that then and i assume you are referring to the same now so let revisit that.

One simple question. On what, or how do you judge a player. Do you judge him on every day matters such as getting out of bed in the morning or do you judge him on form, i.e how he is playing. I made my judgement on how he was playing, you know, form on the pitch. I hope that is abundantly clear for you now or do you need further explanation that only a child would understand? As it turned out, Benteke's form improved way beyond the player that we seen at the start of the season and he proved that i and others who had criticised him were talking through our own arses. He is a super player and i'm glad we have him. Without him we would have been relegated.

Lambert v Redknapp.

Yep with high-sight i was wrong about that too. You will note however that when i called for Lambert's head to be replaced by Redknapp we were in free fall and Redknapp had a history of getting teams out of trouble with playing good football. Its therefore impossible to prove either way that even under the same constraints Redknapp wouldn't have pushed us on in the same way Lambert has. You can quote QPR and i would retort with Spurs and on it would go.

Lambert.

I have noted quotes like 'best manager we have had in years' and 'in Lambert we trust' and top three or four managers in the Premiership.' I have not seen 'best ever manager.'

You have stated 'you have got it wrong, Lambert got his approach right.' What is this based on? The fact that he has presided over our worst start ever to a Premier League season which has culminated in being threatened with relegation right up until the 37th game of the season and then losing to a team in a cup competition from what league and not being able to keep a clean sheet for how many games now?

You will find that i along with one or two other posters voiced our concerns at Lambert's appointment at the start of the season and his subsequent transfer policy and we have been proven right due to the subsequent relegation dog fight we've been in this season. I noted several posts from you during the season which implied we were going down yet you criticise me for getting my concerns at the start of the season correct.

In my view that make you the worst type of hypocrite there is. 

Edited by Morpheus

Out of interest Morpheus, do you still think Lambert got it wrong signing Benteke instead of Berbatov? :)

You were wrong about Benteke and you seemingly were wrong about Lambert. You were also wrong when you said we would be better off sacking Lambert and getting Redknapp or when you were envious of Jol's signings for Fulham who now have a squad packed with high paid players past their best on the decline.

There is no harm in being wrong, I'm happy to admit I was wrong about Warnock being a good signing although I did say at the time we had paid far too much for him.

The key is to know when you are wrong and hold your hands up, you don't seem able to do this. You tried to wriggle off the hook with Benteke, back tracking on what you'd said and claiming you weren't wrong. Now you appear to be doing the same.

You got it wrong, Lambert got his approach right, he got his signings right (not everyone but in terms of his policy) with the budget he had to work with (which I hope you have finally accepted he had a budget) and despite some horrible results this season he kept us up which I think ultimately alongside reducing wages was his remit from the chairman this season.

Is he our best ever manager? No clearly not but then I'm not sure I've seen anyone claim he is. What I do see are some people who had a belief in him this season feeling vindicated for doing so, I see others who had some doubts but held back expressing great relief that they did and I see you, who wanted him sacked desperately trying to avoid admitting that you probably got this one wrong as well.

Even with the question mark i didn't think your question on the comparison between Benteke and Berbatov was rhetorical rather that you were having a go so to speak and my reply was meant in jest. No matter.

To answer your question directly, Benteke was twice the signing that Berbatov was for obvious reasons even though Berbatov has been arguably Fulham's best player this season. My point of view on Berbatov was for him to be played in behind Bent which i felt would have been effective. We'll never know how effective that would have been since we didn't sign Berbatov and Lambert has alienated Bent for reasons yet unknown.

You have yet again made the accusation that i tried to 'wriggle off the hook' concerning Benteke. I have previously received a warning from on site moderation concerning going around in circles in debate but since you have seen cause to broach the subject again i hope i will be allowed to retort.

I fully admitted to being wrong about Benteke and was rightly slaughtered for that. I stated that i made my call on Benteke due to his form at the start of the season which was universally described as poor by pundits and posters and I remember you having a pop at that then and i assume you are referring to the same now so let revisit that.

One simple question. On what, or how do you judge a player. Do you judge him on every day matters such as getting out of bed in the morning or do you judge him on form, i.e how he is playing. I made my judgement on how he was playing, you know, form on the pitch. I hope that is abundantly clear for you now or do you need further explanation that only a child would understand? As it turned out, Benteke's form improved way beyond the player that we seen at the start of the season and he proved that i and others who had criticised him were talking through our own arses. He is a super player and i'm glad we have him. Without him we would have been relegated.

Lambert v Redknapp.

Yep with high-sight i was wrong about that too. You will note however that when i called for Lambert's head to be replaced by Redknapp we were in free fall and Redknapp had a history of getting teams out of trouble with playing good football. Its therefore impossible to prove either way that even under the same constraints Redknapp wouldn't have pushed us on in the same way Lambert has. You can quote QPR and i would retort with Spurs and on it would go.

Lambert.

I have noted quotes like 'best manager we have had in years' and 'in Lambert we trust' and top three or four managers in the Premiership.' I have not seen 'best ever manager.'

You have stated 'you have got it wrong, Lambert got his approach right.' What is this based on? The fact that he has presided over our worst start ever to a Premier League season which has culminated in being threatened with relegation right up until the 37th game of the season and then losing to a team in a cup competition from what league and not being able to keep a clean sheet for how many games now?

You will find that i along with one or two other posters voiced our concerns at Lambert's appointment at the start of the season and his subsequent transfer policy and we have been proven right due to the subsequent relegation dog fight we've been in this season. I noted several posts from you during the season which implied we were going down yet you criticise me for getting my concerns at the start of the season correct.

So you're still ignoring the context of the state we were in last summer? Oh. Ok. You're going to keep doing it aren't you. 

And Benteke is 10x the signing Berbatov is, by the way, not 2x. 

Edited by praisedmambo

To answer your question directly, Benteke has been twice the signing that Berbatov could have ever been for obvious reasons even though Berbatov has been arguably Fulham's best player this season. My point of view on Berbatov was for him to be played in behind Bent which i felt would have been effective. We'll never know how effective that would have been since we didn't sign Berbatov and Lambert has alienated Bent for reasons yet unknown.

I fully admitted to being wrong about Benteke and was rightly slaughtered for that. I stated that i made my call on Benteke due to his form at the start of the season which was universally described as poor by pundits and posters alike and I remember you having a pop at that then and i assume you are referring to the same now so let revisit that.

Lambert v Redknapp.

Lambert.

Your really not getting the strip back to bare bones starting from scratch thing are you, Lambert basically kept up a newly promoted team based on experience. To achieve this it wasn't always going to be pretty, but holding our nerve has put is in a great position to kick on.

It's his Achilles heel , hope he works on it over the summer

I hear what you are saying, but, ultimately, attack is the best form of defence  & this is now possibly one of the most attacking sides & manager that we have ever had.

I don't think you've posted one positive thing all season. Can't you see anything positive in what he is building here?

4th from bottom with a record number of premier league defeats and our worst defence ever in the premier league is nothing much to write home about.

Lamberts teams have shipped 133 goals in the premier league in 75 games and guzan has made more saves than any other keeper in the league. If he doesnt build a defence this summer we are going nowhere. This season has been awful, he must do a lot more next season

I hear what you are saying, but, ultimately, attack is the best form of defence  & this is now possibly one of the most attacking sides & manager that we have ever had.

Attack is the best form of defence however u must still have some kind of defence and not one that you can drive a bus through almost at will!

I don't think there is one Villa fan who didn't doubt Lambert at some point this season. I bought into his philosophy from the beginning but mid to late January I thought maybe the job was to big for him.

He had his weaknesses definitely, but most managers his age do. But the way he goes about building squads and the brand of football he plays the guy is a perfect fit for Aston Villa Football Club at this time.

Lambert v Redknapp.

Lambert.

You just don't get it so I will withdraw from the debate I think.

As for your accusation I'm a hypocrite you couldn't be further from the truth. I actually didn't want Lambert or at least he wasn't my preferred choice but I thought I'd wait and see how he performed in very difficult circumstance, circumstances you seem completely incapable of taking into account.

I opted to do that rather than calling for his head a few months into the season because I could see the mess he inherited, the lack of resources he was given to deal with it and I could at least see what he was trying to do even if I didn't always agree with it or every decision he made.

You can stick your head in the sand all you want but he has worked with very small resources considering the job at hand regardless of how much he spent in the summer.

At times this season I thought we were heading down in January certainly. I wasn't calling for his head though because I've never blamed him for the position we found ourselves in, I blame a mixture of Lerner and the previous 3 managers for that. Lambert is just the guy unlucky enough and brave enough to pick up the pieces and try and make brave decisions that are for the best of the club even at great potential risk to the club and his own hard earned reputation, few managers would have the balls.

So no, no hypocrisy here.

• Like 4

To answer your question directly, Benteke was twice the signing that Berbatov was for obvious reasons even though Berbatov has been arguably Fulham's best player this season. My point of view on Berbatov was for him to be played in behind Bent which i felt would have been effective. We'll never know how effective that would have been since we didn't sign Berbatov and Lambert has alienated Bent for reasons yet unknown.

I fully admitted to being wrong about Benteke and was rightly slaughtered for that. I stated that i made my call on Benteke due to his form at the start of the season which was universally described as poor by pundits and posters and I remember you having a pop at that then and i assume you are referring to the same now so let revisit that.

Lambert v Redknapp.

Lambert.

So you're still ignoring the context of the state we were in last summer? Oh. Ok. You're going to keep doing it aren't you. 

And Benteke is 10x the signing Berbatov is, by the way, not 2x. 

The only one who is ignoring anything here is you as i've already answered your question and your rebuttal of 10x instead of 2x is childish.

Lambert v Redknapp.

Lambert.

Your really not getting the strip back to bare bones starting from scratch thing are you, Lambert basically kept up a newly promoted team based on experience. To achieve this it wasn't always going to be pretty, but holding our nerve has put is in a great position to kick on.

I'm very aware like you and everyone else that he had a difficult job to do here within the circumstances he was given. No-one is disputing that. However is it such an uncommon occurrence for a manager to be sacked and the new manager having to sort out existing problems at the club? If you agree that its not such an uncommon occurrence then you must judge at what level those problems were for the new manager to manage.

In my opinion those problems where not at a level that would justify the season we have just experienced and could have been avoided with better preparation by the manager.