Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I don't really get this argument that some players had to leave because of their 'attitude'.

I mean do people really care what players are like off the pitch, how well they train or how unprofessional they are? Obviously within reason, I don't want to be supporting criminals or players who deliberately try to sabotage the club (or undermine the manager).

I don't really care who they are or what they do though as long as they perform on the pitch.

I don't really get this argument that some players had to leave because of their 'attitude'.

I mean do people really care what players are like off the pitch, how well they train or how unprofessional they are? Obviously within reason, I don't want to be supporting criminals or players who deliberately try to sabotage the club (or undermine the manager).

I don't really care who they are or what they do though as long as they perform on the pitch.

They won't perform on the pitch to their best level if they are poor trainers and unprofessional. That's the whole point and problem. It's why so many players end up as disappointments - not making the best of their luck and talents.

The manager, whoever he is, has to get a bunch of people who will play for the team, for each other, for the fans and club.

Villa's squad was a mess and still is to an extent. It needed sorting out. That was always always going to be painful, and was a bit of a poisoned chalice for Lambo, especially with the wage issue, too.

That he took on the challenge is IMO a good thing. He's relaitviely inexperienced and is learnign as he works, and he's made a fair few bad decisions, as would anyone, but I think there's light at the end of the tunnel, whether we go down or stay up. I hope he stays and finishes the job he took on, whatever division we're in. We desperately need stability and continuity, and having identified and got him as the man to do it, he needs to be given time and support by the club.

• Like 2

I hope he stays and finishes the job he took on, whatever division we're in

I just can't agree.

If we're relegated then he's massively failed IMO.

If he takes us down then what are we basing the notion that he's right for us on? What would make him any different to other managers with a good reputation who ultimately turned out to be poor?

The manager, whoever he is, has to get a bunch of people who will play for the team, for each other, for the fans and club.

Considering how poor this year has been. Surely the attitude of the previous squad isn't as bad as some try to make out.

He's after Alfred Finnbogason of SC Heerenveen.

http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/237469/Premier-Leagueclubs-tonen-interesse-in-Finnbogason.htm

2008    Breidablik    4    1    
2009    Breidablik    18    13    
2010    Breidablik    21    14    
2010/11    SC Lokeren    15    3    Jupiler League
2011/12    SC Lokeren    7    1    Jupiler League
2012/13    Helsingborgs IF    17    12    Allsvenskan
2012/13    SC Heerenveen    23    19    Eredivisie
Total:    105    63    

Caps: 13 - 3 goals.
Edited by Feyenoord

I've always maintained Lambert is the right manager for us, and won't be changing my opinion when things get tough.

I have read that during the summer when one prospective manager was told what wages we were prepared to pay to new signings he laughed in RL's face.  Lambert had a very good reputation and job at Norwich but was prepared to come here and sort out the mess.  Last season we were very nearly relegated, have huge debts and a number of high earners who are are not pulling their weight.  Apart from an awful run of form around Christmas I have seen signs that we are heading in the right direction.  Performances against Man Utd, Swansea, Everton and Liverpool have been really encouraging.

The team we played against Reading included 5 from the academy and cost less than £20 million.  The wages for that team are well within our budget.  Lambert has made some very good value signings such as Westwood and Benteke who we could sell for a profit.

I hope he is not sacked even if we go down because who else is out there who would be willing and able to restore the club to anything like its former glories.  

• Like 3

I hope he stays with us,  if he does he will prove to be the best manager we have had in the last 25 years

I agree. However I would add I think it is vital that we stay up. If we do, and unlike you Richard I think we will, then I think the experience of this season will really benefit some of the younger lads. I can see the likes of Lowton, Westwood, Weimann, Baker, Sylla, Delph and even Bennett really kicking on next season much stronger mentally for what they have been through and will hit the ground running come the start of next season. Last few weeks I think many of the players have shown good form and put in some very good performances and that for me could well be down to simply they are getting better as they gain more experience.

I also think like many of the players if he can come through this and keep us up then Lambert will be a better manager through having been through such a tough season.

• Like 1

Lambert had a very good reputation and job at Norwich but was prepared to come here and sort out the mess.

He didn't do it because he loves villa.

He did it because he believed it would be best for his career.

He's not some hero come to rescue us.

Last few weeks I think many of the players have shown good form and put in some very good performances and that for me could well be down to simply they are getting better as they gain more experience.

Or the manager ditching 3-5-2 and actually playing with some proper width in the team.

I've always maintained Lambert is the right manager for us, and won't be changing my opinion when things get tough.

I have read that during the summer when one prospective manager was told what wages we were prepared to pay to new signings he laughed in RL's face.  Lambert had a very good reputation and job at Norwich but was prepared to come here and sort out the mess.  Last season we were very nearly relegated, have huge debts and a number of high earners who are are not pulling their weight.  Apart from an awful run of form around Christmas I have seen signs that we are heading in the right direction.  Performances against Man Utd, Swansea, Everton and Liverpool have been really encouraging.

The team we played against Reading included 5 from the academy and cost less than £20 million.  The wages for that team are well within our budget.  Lambert has made some very good value signings such as Westwood and Benteke who we could sell for a profit.

I hope he is not sacked even if we go down because who else is out there who would be willing and able to restore the club to anything like its former glories.  

Hear, Hear

Here+here+ol+chap.+I+propose+a+toast+hon

He deserves time to get it right. I think another manager change will just make the situation worse.

That said, he has been less than brilliant. He has made many, many mistakes that have little to do with the "limitations" (20mill) placed on him by Lerner (an excuse that seems to be trotted out often in this thread).

Still, the recent ditching of his 3-5-2 formation is a good indicator that he is learning from his mistakes - and that can only be a good thing.

You think Lambert is lucky to have walked into this mess? I'm not so sure myself. 

Don't get me wrong I have been very disappointed with certain aspects of his management. That horrendous Christmas period will long live in the memory and he almost certainly took one too many gambles with his signings. However, to say we're in a worse position right now than the same point last season is wholly wrong in my opinion. Maybe at points yes and perhaps statistically we are, I don't really know or care. Form wise and playing ability wise we're a long way ahead of where we were at this point twelve months ago. Then, I was almost certain we were going down. Now, I fancy us to stay up. I think we have momentum and belief. 

Bring on QPR.

This so hard. We are much better than last year, what short memories some of us seem to have. Sure, we're a few points behind but in approach and performance we are miles better.

He deserves time to get it right. I think another manager change will just make the situation worse.

That said, he has been less than brilliant. He has made many, many mistakes that have little to do with the "limitations" (20mill) placed on him by Lerner (an excuse that seems to be trotted out often in this thread).

Still, the recent ditching of his 3-5-2 formation is a good indicator that he is learning from his mistakes - and that can only be a good thing.

Quite right. With less than 1/4 of the season to go we are a Wigan win (with their game in hand) away from the relegation zone. Some people on here must have had incredibly low expectations this season to think Lambert has done a good job.

This so hard. We are much better than last year, what short memories some of us seem to have. Sure, we're a few points behind but in approach and performance we are miles better.

Well opinions are subjective, points are a matter of record. We haven't exactly outplayed anyone other than Reading this year.

I don't enjoy watching defensive, negative football but we shouldn't be trying to outplay teams if we don't have the team to do it.

We are much better than last year

Our defence is much worse.

Our goal scoring is similar which doesn't seem an improvement when Mcleish was a negative manager.

We are averaging similar points per game, which again given the negative approach of the last manager doesn't seem to be a big improvement.

Our goal scoring is similar which doesn't seem an improvement when Mcleish was a negative manager.

We are averaging similar points per game, which again given the negative approach of the last manager doesn't seem to be a big improvement.

but let's focus on what we have this year that we never did last year

Potential

Positivity of play

Plan for future progression

Green shoots of recovery

All of these are subjective I will grant you and not stats but for me the feel of this is far better than last season and I know you'll want facts and figures that I can't give but football isn't all about facts and figures

• Like 1

People still fail to grasp the concept of building and giving a manager time and seem to ignore the amount of money we have spent hiring and firing managers.

Giving someone time is in fact that, regardless of results. If the results are the same years so come with no improvement then yes they should go.

Sacking them straight off is stupid and by that thinking, the next one if not good goes as well just like that so you have a new manager, every year every six months? Its not healthy for the football club.

There is more advantage to having the balls to stick with someone, something that is rare these days.

And at the same time just giving someone time does not guarantee success.

Giving the wrong man time just for the sake of giving him time could have a very negative affect on the club.

I was over the moon when Lambert joined and was willing to give him time because I believed he'd show me that things will be good in the future under him. At this point in an abysmal season I'm still waiting to see something that makes me think he can do great things at this football club.

If we stay up i guess it would be pointless to sack him. If we go down though he should be out the door the next day.

Edited by Big_John_10

Potential

Positivity of play

Green shoots of recovery

All of these are subjective I will grant you and not stats but for me the feel of this is far better than last season and I know you'll want facts and figures that I can't give but football isn't all about facts and figures

I'll agree those are things you could take away as positives.

Enough to make the statement that we're much better than last year? No not for me.

Potential

Positivity of play

Green shoots of recovery

I'll agree those are things you could take away as positives.

Enough to make the statement that we're much better than last year? No not for me.

In what way were we better last year? tell me. Becuase it was horrible from every aspect. There were no highlights at all.

Well opinions are subjective, points are a matter of record. We haven't exactly outplayed anyone other than Reading this year.

I don't enjoy watching defensive, negative football but we shouldn't be trying to outplay teams if we don't have the team to do it.

Liverpool?? Swansea at home? Man United at home for the majority? Newcastle away losing to a wonder strike? I could go on.

• Like 1