Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I blame Lerner a lot but for the transfer fees of bennet and KEA and for their combined wages I think we could have got a superb midfield player and been better off. Lambert has to take some blame.

Yep, 3 or 4 good players would have done a lot more for us then 8 poor players with potential and wouldn't have cost any more in wages.

I'm not blaming Lambert for not signing Michu. I was simply making the point (AGAIN) that just because I can't name a player, that doesn't mean they aren't out there. I'd never heard of Michu until Swansea signed him.

So you can't name any, but your absolutely certain that there are loads of bargain-buy players who will come for low transfer fees and low wages and be ready to perform straight from the off. It's just that Lambert and his staff and his scouts are all so incompetent that they can't find them. Brilliant argument

try this - this bloke is a bit more switched on to what's going on http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/13/aston-villa-southampton-premier-league-report

Yep, 3 or 4 good players would have done a lot more for us then 8 poor players with potential and wouldn't have cost any more in wages.

Lambert bought 8 poor players did he?

The suggestion that you can't be unhappy with our signings without naming realistic replacements is really stupid and shows the defence of lambert is starting to really struggle.

DCjonah is right. Lambert is paid a fortune to find these players, we are not.

I blame Lerner a lot but for the transfer fees of bennet and KEA and for their combined wages I think we could have got a superb midfield player and been better off. Lambert has to take some blame.

A superb midfielder player for 5-6mil on about 40k a week?

Tall order. Unless you don't mean superb.

Morning all,

I think it would be best for most supporters to reserve judgement on the manager until he brings in a couple of new players this month, has a couple of others back from injury, and see what type of team he manages to put out on the park and how they perform.

If you look at the league table the one thing it highlights is a win or two can make all the difference. Recent results - and performances - have been very poor but things can change very quickly. I'm now pretty confident a new face or two will arrive before the end of the month. Might not be big-earners like many of the posters on here would like to see - and no doubt Lambert himself - but a couple of good solid players to help improve the problem areas.

Everyone now knows the financial situation at the club and the lack of quality signings isn't down to the manager but lets wait and see how things go between now and the end of the month and see where the club are then. Anyone fancy a bet that the club won't be relegated? :P

Hey Gazza.

Looks like Lerner's gone into panic mode then. Good.

It really does not matter who he signs,because with tactics like this we have no chance at all, I am talking about.....

We are 0-1 down to Southampton and we need a goal desperately to salvage a point or 2 goals to get all 3 points, so who does he bring on ?................Bowery

while Bent is nowhere in sight.

Good tactics, good thinking.

Brilliant

8 players in, £18m spent on fees, minimum wages spend. That only buys you potential not guaranteed performance

6 players really (as Holman was free, and Bowery was only £500k).

He signed Vlaar for £3m and he's looked a solid CB. Instead of Bennett, is it out of the question that he may have signed another experienced CB for the same money?

VillaCas arguing that the players he signed are the best we could have possibly got is utterly ridiculous. Surely you can see that.

He wasn't backed well but at the same time you can't argue he spent it all well or couldn't have done better.

I've just given you a way he could have done better.

It really does not matter who he signs,because with tactics like this we have no chance at all, I am talking about.....

We are 0-1 down to Southampton and we need a goal desperately to salvage a point or 2 goals to get all 3 points, so who does he bring on ?................Bowery

So he didn't get injured in the Bradford game? Must have been my imagination.

A superb midfielder player for 5-6mil on about 40k a week?

Tall order. Unless you don't mean superb.

Compared to the shit we've got I'd imagine we could get someone superb.

In the context of world football, yeah superb may be a bit strong, I think we could have got a good cm play which would see us better off.

The suggestion that you can't be unhappy with our signings without naming realistic replacements is really stupid and shows the defence of lambert is starting to really struggle.

It doesn't show anything of the sort - the myth that there are hundreds of bargain-buy wonders out there who will come for peanuts is just that a myth

People here asking for Hutton and Warnock back - you know as well as I do that we would be no better with those two and then people would be saying Lambert was crazy to stick with them and should have signed two young players

KEA looks to me a poor signing, I'm reserving judgement on Bennett at the moment, the rest look good value for money for me

We had a problem long before PL arrived - he is our best chance to get back somewhere where we think we should be

If you think that's why Bent wasn't on the bench you've not been following very carefully

Brilliant argument

You're right. A much better arguement is to claim that because a person who works in IT (myself) can't name a player, then there is no one out there that could improve us.

I'm guessing we should just call it there as we'll obviously never agree, and people are probably bored with us going around in circles.

Edited by DCJonah

DCjonah is right. Lambert is paid a fortune to find these players, we are not.

I think you will find he is paid to manage the club. Its the scouts who are paid to find the players.

he is our best chance to get back somewhere where we think we should be

But you're basing this on nothing but your optimistic view of him. Which is perfectly fine.

I don't see how you can complain about other fans who don't see the same because there really isn't much evidence to back it up.

People here asking for Hutton and Warnock back - you know as well as I do that we would be no better with those two and then people would be saying Lambert was crazy to stick with them and should have signed two young players

I think Warnock is better than Bennett, and Lowton and Hutton are about the same (although I think Lowton will be the better player). I think we'd be better off if we had stuck with Hutton and Warnock, and then spent the £6m (saved on not signing Bennett and Lowton) on a CB and CM.

Edited by DCJonah

What about all the talents a similar sized club to ourselves in Newcastle have unearthed over the past year or so; Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Tiote, etc. Pretty sure those players didn't cost a great deal of money.

As well as Michu, Swansea have also bought quality from abroad in players such as De Guzman and Pablo Hernandez, again I don't remember their signings costing a great deal.

I'm not saying that Lambert has been terrible in the transfer market by any means, but he has been naive about the situation he's come in to and could have helped himself and the club more than he has with some of his signings.

6 players really (as Holman was free, and Bowery was only £500k).

He signed Vlaar for £3m and he's looked a solid CB. Instead of Bennett, is it out of the question that he may have signed another experienced CB for the same money?

I wasn't including Holman as Lambert didn't sign him, McLeish did (please keep up). Look up the 8 players I'm talking about if you want to

We got Vlaar for £3.5m because he has a poor injury record and is a fitness gamble. Vlaar is a Dutch International so without the injury record he would be well out of our price range. Experienced CBs don't play for peanuts which is what we are willing to pay at the moment

You need to get in the real world - you obviously think Lambert and all his staff are idiots. Do you really think he thought "I could buy a few experienced top class players but I think it would be more fun to sign League 1 players"

Lambert is working to a miniscule budget - you need to wake up to that

I think you will find he is paid to manage the club. Its the scouts who are paid to find the players.

Managers or scouts, the point is its ridiculous to claim you can't express an opinion on signings unless you can put forward better suggestions.

We got Vlaar for £3.5m because he has a poor injury record and is a fitness gamble. Vlaar is a Dutch International so without the injury record he would be well out of our price range

I believe he had something in his contract which allowed him to move to the premiership for that fee.