Paul Lambert

Pilchard

A question : By what % do you think we have reduced the wage under Lambert?

Looking at the squad we had with McL, and the players still on the books, I don't beleive it is as big a reduction as we might initially think

I'm sure Faulkner said we're now running in line with FFP.
FFP is as big a joke as the organisation that invented it.
Agreed but just using it to point out our new wage bill probably has dropped a fair amount recently.

Yeah i got ya, but my point was more a dig at faulkner. Think its a good excuse for people who run clubs to con fans when they arent willing to spend money.

3m for an AM? All that will get is another mediocre midfielder like the ones we already have.
Yes becuase the price of a player always dictates how good he will be.
Why do people keep coming back with this argument? In general yes it does. If it didn't then Wolves would be competing with City for trophies. Edited by HeyAnty
  • Like 1

3m for an AM? All that will get is another mediocre midfielder like the ones we already have.

Why do people keep coming back with this argument? In general yes it does. If it didn't then Wolves would be competing with City for trophies.

You don't nessarily need money to get great players, but you do to keep them.

Why do people keep coming back with this argument? In general yes it does. If it didn't then Wolves would be competing with City for trophies.

Because it's just a crude way of looking at things and ignores the fact that price doesn't always determine how well a player will perform because the price of a player is determined by a number of factors, not just the quality of the player, which in itself doesn't always determine how well a player will work out.

While yes if we were willing to spend more we'd have a higher chance of getting someone who will perform well it's wrong to write off a player just because they didn't cost a lot.

If we don't beat United on the weekend is it time to get the "Lambert Out" banners ready for the Boxing Day Crystal Palace game?!

Of course not.

And I'm one of those with more angst than most about the turgid bile we're churning up week in, week out.

Because it's just a crude way of looking at things and ignores the fact that price doesn't always determine how well a player will perform because the price of a player is determined by a number of factors, not just the quality of the player, which in itself doesn't always determine how well a player will work out.

While yes if we were willing to spend more we'd have a higher chance of getting someone who will perform well it's wrong to write off a player

just because they didn't cost a lot.

It may be crude but its the best guide. Its no surprise our most expensive player virtually kept us the prem last year and that only 3 of these 1-2 mill players started at the weekend.

What im saying 7-8 mill generally gets u a good prem player which wont break the bank. Buying players at 1-2 mill will eventually get u relegated

£3m isn't a lot but you can get some good bargains on the continent. I mean, didn't Vlaar only cost us about £2-3m?

Yes I argee. I mean Sylla only cost about 1.5 and he has been okay for us so 3 could get someone half decent. I have a reasonable amount of confidence in Lambert and his team finding bargains.

9th December 2012 - Aston Villa are 16th with 15 points from 16 games

9th December 2013 - Aston Villa are 11th with 19 points from 15 games

That is p[rogession although this time last year is when our bad run started

Correct, however this year i think we have been very lucky. I think we were very unlucky last year. I dont think we are any better or worse than last year

9th December 2012 - Aston Villa are 16th with 15 points from 16 games

9th December 2013 - Aston Villa are 11th with 19 points from 15 games

That is p[rogession although this time last year is when our bad run started

Correct, however this year i think we have been very lucky. I think we were very unlucky last year. I dont think we are any better or worse than last year

I agree.. to an extent.. we were lucky against Soton but unlucky against Chelsea earlier in the year. It just balances out over the year.

If we don't beat United on the weekend is it time to get the "Lambert Out" banners ready for the Boxing Day Crystal Palace game?!

No, but "Lerner Out" banners might be in production, ready for when we see how much/little cash is splashed in January.

While yes if we were willing to spend more we'd have a higher chance of getting someone who will perform well it's wrong to write off a player

just because they didn't cost a lot.

It may be crude but its the best guide. Its no surprise our most expensive player virtually kept us the prem last year and that only 3 of these 1-2 mill players started at the weekend.

What im saying 7-8 mill generally gets u a good prem player which wont break the bank. Buying players at 1-2 mill will eventually get u relegated

No, the best guide is judging players based on their performances.

Benteke wasn't our most expensive player - Bent was. Warnock, Delph and N'Zogbia also cost more. Interesting that despite being the second most expensive player in the squad N'Zogbia didn't really contribute a great deal last season.

What are you basing this £7-8m figure on anyway? It seems pretty arbitrary to me.

No, buying poor players will get you relegated. Don't get me wrong, I accept that generally there is a correlation between spending and performance. However, I don't really think people should focus on this on an individual level because it doesn't always ring true there. There are plenty of expensive players that haven't worked out and plenty of cheap players that have. It just leads to players being written off purely because they were cheap.

Sorry i should have made myself clearer, 7 mill player last year was one bought by lambert when he started buying the cheap players.

7-8 mill isnt really that arbitrary. If you spend that much u will generally get a good player if u have done a bit of homework.

Sorry i should have made myself clearer, 7 mill player last year was one bought by lambert when he started buying the cheap players.

7-8 mill isnt really that arbitrary. If you spend that much u will generally get a good player if u have done a bit of homework.

Why not 5 or 6 million?