Paul Lambert

Pilchard

That wasn't my point at all but I guess some would prefer any excuse to have a cheap dig.

It's better than your, keeping Collins and bent and signing Charlie adam would have been better rubbish.

I forgot to add those with a crystal ball.

Just been watching MOTD and saw Lambert saying we're "on a bit if a run at the moment".

W1 D3 L0.

Fabulous "run".

Just shows how low our expectations have been dragged under the current regime.

So he didn't say it was a 'fabulous' run, just a bit of a run, which is correct.

We've had three seasons fighting relegation but we're turning it around and are, at the moment mid table. How high should our expectations be at this time.

Football is an entertainment industry. This rubbish at the moment is not entertaining. Villa Park is going to empty at this rate. 

I'm willing to accept that we may have a transitional period here and that the football will follow. But if we stick with this style of football for longer than necessary, I'm not interested.

I was really looking forward to this season and have been to five matches. We're dishing up long-ball crap and I think we have ridden our luck so far too! It isn't what I expected at all.

I thought we'd kick on from the end of last season but no end of freak results (Man City) can mask the agricultural approach we're taking.

• Like 1

Just been watching MOTD and saw Lambert saying we're "on a bit if a run at the moment".

W1 D3 L0.

Fabulous "run".

I think its called cluthching at straws. You take into consideration that those 4 games were against West Ham, Cardiff, West Brom and Sunderland then 6 points is the least I'd expected.

More worrying for me is the performances have in the main been poor. West Ham was a dire game, Cardiff at home we struggled for 70 odd mins, West Brom away we were crap for 55 minutes and should have been 4 down before we turned the game around with the 3 subs and yesterday we didn't trouble a very poor Sunderland side who had by far the better chances.

I like Lambert and think he has received diabolical backing given the task he faced when he arrived. However I still have to say it like it is and the football we are serving up is simply not good enough.

I was really confident before kick off yesterday as that was pretty much our best side. We created nothing though and at times at the back were all over the place. Had Sunderland had a bit more about them and some good fortune they would have won which is worrying given how poor they are.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

W1 D3 L0.

Fabulous "run".

We are unbeaten in four games, I'd call that a bit of a run.

W1 D3 L0.

Fabulous "run".

A walk at least, not quite a jog.

A manager needs time or money. Lambert hasn't had much money in prem terms - and certainly not for a club regularly pulling in 36k crowds. Yes the football at the moment is pretty poor - and that has to be addressed in the transfer windows from here on in. 

A Just wonder how many of his detractors want to change the manager right now.........to me that would be a disaster.....I just hope Lambo can keep on an even keel until Lerner decides to sell. For all lamberts faults I honestly couldn't see anyone else doing much better.

• Like 4

A manager needs time or money. Lambert hasn't had much money in prem terms - and certainly not for a club regularly pulling in 36k crowds. Yes the football at the moment is pretty poor - and that has to be addressed in the transfer windows from here on in. 

A Just wonder how many of his detractors want to change the manager right now.........to me that would be a disaster.....I just hope Lambo can keep on an even keel until Lerner decides to sell. For all lamberts faults I honestly couldn't see anyone else doing much better.

Love you signature. Describes the situation perfectly.

Completely off topic but I'd imagine we'd be in a pretty good position if we could have got Martinez when we went for him.

He's a much better manager, for sure.

Yet he turned down the challenge of rebuilding villa and took over an established top 7 side with a squad built over 10 yrs.

Who in their right mind would want to work for Lerner?

He's had over £40m.  That puts him comfortably in the top half of the spending table in the time he has been here.  And I'd get rid of him tomorrow, the football he plays is dire.  His team punted it up to Holt at Norwich, and now we do the same with Benteke at Villa.  

Completely off topic but I'd imagine we'd be in a pretty good position if we could have got Martinez when we went for him.

He's a much better manager, for sure.

Yet he turned down the challenge of rebuilding villa and took over an established top 7 side with a squad built over 10 yrs.

Who in their right mind would want to work for Lerner?

Besides the sparce resources - I would say Lerner is pretty to good to work for (for all the wrong reasons) - little interference, low expectations, not a guy who enjoys looking for managers. True if you want to conquer europe hes not your man - but if you want to manager a big club - with low expectations - I think a lot of managers would find that appealing  - don't take this as me defender lerner...Im not.

I find it very odd how Lambert was getting far more support from fans last season despite the fact that results-wise we were doing a lot worse.

If people are so adamant that Lambert is such a bad manager or that he's not right for us, then who would come in and realistically do a better job with the resources available?

A complete shambles?

The complete shambles was caused by Lambert making changes too quickly which very nearly relegated us.

One other point. I find it incredulous that our league position at the same time last year was excused by too early in the season to judge syndrome yet our position this season is accepted as a note of improvement.

That's just rewriting history. We were a shambles before Lambert even arrived.

He's had over £40m.  That puts him comfortably in the top half of the spending table in the time he has been here.  And I'd get rid of him tomorrow, the football he plays is dire.  His team punted it up to Holt at Norwich, and now we do the same with Benteke at Villa.  

Fair enough - at least youre forthright with your opinion. Personally I think sacking him tomorrow would be a disaster - but given Lerners low expectations it isn't going to happen. 

W1 D3 L0.

Fabulous "run".

Exactly. It's also worth noting that Benteke scored 19 out of 47 goals in the premier league last season - just over 40%.

With him firing blanks at the moment, what is essential the same team have managed to stem the tide of goals against but we are finding it difficult at the other end to beat teams like Sunderland. 

Having said that, thus far Benteke has produced only 30% of our goals indicating that the rest of the team is becoming more productive in both attack and defence. And we're currently 10th.

If we can get Benteke firing again I think we're not doing as badly as we think. It's not pretty that's for sure, but rarely is something pretty in the construction stages.

Last season's Benteke + this season's defence is a top 8 team I reckon.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever agreed with a post less.  Lambert, a breath of fresh air?  If you can say that with a straight face after watching yesterday's game (and most other matches this season), then I'll have a pint of whatever you've been drinking.  And the football is no better than McLeish's at all.  Lowest possession and lowest pass rate in the Premier League, and the most long balls.  It's not even as good as Pulis's football tbh.

Edited by Risso

I find it very odd how Lambert was getting far more support from fans last season despite the fact that results-wise we were doing a lot worse.

If people are so adamant that Lambert is such a bad manager or that he's not right for us, then who would come in and realistically do a better job with the resources available?

This time last year he was 13 games into the job. Now he has been here for knocking on one and half seasons. I'd imagine the longer he is here the less slack he will be given.

I don't think many currently want to see him sacked do they. In fact I have only seen one poster state they do. Last season just after the Christmas period a few more, certainly on here, wanted him out.

Results wise we have improved this season. I do however think we are benefiting from some good fortune this season which we didn't for much of last season. The last two games for example I think last season would have seen Sessegnon take his two excellent chances and West Brom would have gone to win by 5 or 6. Yesterday the  almost open goal chance for Sunderland would also have been scored. Luckily this season we are getting a bit more rub of the green.

Going forward in the short term we could certainly do with a couple of results this week as if not after we have played Man Utd in 2 weeks we could be sitting on 16 points from 16 games. We currently also have one win in our last 7 so I'd say a win from one of our next couple would be most welcome and keep a few more from getting on Lamberts back,

Beyond that I'd say unless he gets far better backing from the owner then I guess the best we can hope for is being mid to lower table fodder.

• Like 1