Paul Lambert

Pilchard

For all our apparent awfulness we fineshed, in a season of dramatic restructuring, 5 points behind Swansea, a Team who apparently play far better football than us, and just 3 wins off 8th place.

'Just' 3 wins, when we only won 10 games all season. An extra 33% wins is no small step.

There you go - exactly my point about lack of perspective - just 1 win less than Swansea actually !!!

1 win, and two draws.  And 18 goals.

You're wearing claret tinted glasses. We were also only '1 win' above Wigan.

18 goals ? Didn't we both score 47 ? (edit - I realise you mean Goal Difference).  But yes just one win more than Wigan, but YES just 1 win less than the Team in 9th.  In other words there are a few very good sides then a load of others -  many of whom can afford to spend mor ethan us at present - between which there is little to choose, except when one of them has a slightly  better season and gets temporarily ahead of the pack.

So why are there are determined set of fans who seem to think we are radically worse ?

And yes i am wearing Claret tintred glasses - thats my whole point !!!!!!!!

Edited by terrytini

I see little improvement in results since mcleish left. In fact we've been humiliated more times under lambert than any other manager I can remember in 35 years.

Nothing more humiliating than setting out to draw or reduce the scoreline in every game. We may have lost many games by a huge margin under Lambert, but we tried to win every one of them.

I would say its definitely not a given that we tried to win on Tuesday. Not from the team sheet/what I saw on the field.

For all our apparent awfulness we fineshed, in a season of dramatic restructuring, 5 points behind Swansea, a Team who apparently play far better football than us, and just 3 wins off 8th place.

'Just' 3 wins, when we only won 10 games all season. An extra 33% wins is no small step.

Haha I was thinking exactly the same.

So why are there are determined set of fans who seem to think we are radically worse ?

I think a lot of it is down to the fact we've been so shit recently compared to what we've usually done.

3 relegation battles in a two.

A disgusting amount of home wins

Premiership record breaking amounts of goals conceded in a season.

Equal a record of letting most goals in a game

Probably going to be 3 consecutive bottom half finishes.

The last few years have been truly awful so while we may not be the worst team in the league because of what's been before it sometimes feels like it.

And Spurs' B team are a helluva lot stronger than ours. Our most recent league game was a win. Tuesday's cup game, while it was obviously disappointing to lose, I think has garnered a disproportionate amount of negativity. We made, what, eight changes? Unfortunately it's not like we're going to put things right tomorrow so I expect this thread to grow a lot over the weekend :(

• Like 1

Maybe its still that our (fans) expectations outweigh our present limitations in funding?

Personally it sticks in my throat that even without the Bale revenue Spuds a team who we were competing with only a few seasons ago have surpassed us and how many more teams will become a better team than us before we can again get the level of investment to allow us to even compete within the second tier of the Premiership?  

The counter attacking style is really beginning to piss me off, if that's all Lambert can do he's a limited manager and no better than MON tactically. I wanted Lambert as our manager for a long time, but he's got to do better because I'm starting to doubt him.

The counter attacking style is really beginning to piss me off, if that's all Lambert can do he's a limited manager and no better than MON tactically. I wanted Lambert as our manager for a long time, but he's got to do better because I'm starting to doubt him.

We can play well together to dominate a team, we did it in the closing stages of games last year (Sunderland in particular), but it hasn't clicked for us this season.

If Lerner is ever going to loosen the purse strings again (and it is a big 'if'), then it will surely become plausible to expect it soon assuming a few things happen this season. There were a few other things that needed to happen in order to fully come out of the mess created by Randy trusting O'Neill too much. Lambert has achieved most of the financial obligations while hopefully putting together a side that can grow and mature together while trying to climb the table. With the likes of Ireland* and Hutton financially gone at the end of the season and hopefully followed by Given & Bent, if we found ourselves sitting midtable with a very pretty wage bill then it would be the ideal situation for Randy to allow Lambert to spend a little more than he has. If however we get to that point and he still only gives him what he has been giving him to date, then we'll know just how interested the owner is. The big variable in all of that is how much Benteke leaves for and how much of that we get - or rather whether it gets added to a pre-existing budget. But basically, this is going to be a very interesting season for more than the usual reasons.

* We're not 100% sure how much, if anything, we're paying towards his wages at Stoke.

If Lerner is ever going to loosen the purse strings again (and it is a big 'if'), then it will surely become plausible to expect it soon assuming a few things happen this season. There were a few other things that needed to happen in order to fully come out of the mess created by Randy trusting O'Neill too much. Lambert has achieved most of the financial obligations while hopefully putting together a side that can grow and mature together while trying to climb the table. With the likes of Ireland* and Hutton financially gone at the end of the season and hopefully followed by Given & Bent, if we found ourselves sitting midtable with a very pretty wage bill then it would be the ideal situation for Randy to allow Lambert to spend a little more than he has. If however we get to that point and he still only gives him what he has been giving him to date, then we'll know just how interested the owner is. The big variable in all of that is how much Benteke leaves for and how much of that we get - or rather whether it gets added to a pre-existing budget. But basically, this is going to be a very interesting season for more than the usual reasons.* We're not 100% sure how much, if anything, we're paying towards his wages at Stoke.

Lambert has been given a rough net spend of £30m or so to fill out the squad, hopefully if he can get another £15m net spend next summer plus £35m for Benteke we could really start bringing in some special talent in more than one key area. Of course this is all ifs and buts but it seems the most logical way at looking at how things have been going these past 14 months or so, rather than panicking that the club has no interest in progressing any more.

3 wins 2 draws and 9 defeats in the last 14 games since December at home is a big worry. In fact its bloody horrific. 11 points from 42 at villa park. deary me thats just shite

People think Lamberts done a bad job because they're comparing him to what Villa usually do, not what he has to work with. He inherited a team on the decline that finished sixteenth the previous year with not much funding wage wise to improve it. Compared to the funding other teams have had, it'd be an accomplishment to make the team stand pat and just stay in the premier league, and that wouldn't be doing a bad job, but people expect Lambert to make progress over teams that have had the more funding.

All that said, I do think Lambert will improve the team over time. But it does take time when the rest of the league is spending more than you are.

People think Lamberts done a bad job because they're comparing him to what Villa usually do, not what he has to work with. He inherited a team on the decline that finished sixteenth the previous year with not much funding wage wise to improve it. Compared to the funding other teams have had, it'd be an accomplishment to make the team stand pat and just stay in the premier league, and that wouldn't be doing a bad job, but people expect Lambert to make progress over teams that have had the more funding.

All that said, I do think Lambert will improve the team over time. But it does take time when the rest of the league is spending more than you are.

He could try and adopt a different approach to games from time to time though

JUst because we played a B team didnt meant we didnt try to win the game. Spurs were jsut a better team

Arsenal was a better team too. We just applied ourselves on the day and dug out the win.

He could try and adopt a different approach to games from time to time though

He did at Norwich. He put Weimann on the left and Gabby in the middle and made the left side far better in attack because Gabby drifted left. This did two things. Villa focused the attacks down the left naturally because the better attackers were there, and Bacuna didn't have to worry about bombing forward, he was able to just stay back and focus on marking Redmond for the most part. By focusing the attacks down the left, it also made sure that when Norwich won the ball it was on the opposite side of the field from Redmond.

The goal came from a quick attack on that stronger left side, and though constantly pushing forward (and his defensive shortcomings) to support did leave Luna a little exposed, Clark was able to cover brilliantly and the defensive right side basically nullified Redmond.

If Lerner is ever going to loosen the purse strings again (and it is a big 'if'), then it will surely become plausible to expect it soon assuming a few things happen this season. There were a few other things that needed to happen in order to fully come out of the mess created by Randy trusting O'Neill too much. Lambert has achieved most of the financial obligations while hopefully putting together a side that can grow and mature together while trying to climb the table. With the likes of Ireland* and Hutton financially gone at the end of the season and hopefully followed by Given & Bent, if we found ourselves sitting midtable with a very pretty wage bill then it would be the ideal situation for Randy to allow Lambert to spend a little more than he has. If however we get to that point and he still only gives him what he has been giving him to date, then we'll know just how interested the owner is. The big variable in all of that is how much Benteke leaves for and how much of that we get - or rather whether it gets added to a pre-existing budget. But basically, this is going to be a very interesting season for more than the usual reasons.* We're not 100% sure how much, if anything, we're paying towards his wages at Stoke.

Lambert has been given a rough net spend of £30m or so to fill out the squad, hopefully if he can get another £15m net spend next summer plus £35m for Benteke we could really start bringing in some special talent in more than one key area. Of course this is all ifs and buts but it seems the most logical way at looking at how things have been going these past 14 months or so, rather than panicking that the club has no interest in progressing any more.

You need to understand that it doesn't matter if we get £100 million for Benteke, we will only be signing the same standard of player due to the wage structure. The people claiming that there are bargains at £2.2 million are either high on drugs or are living in cloud cuckoo land.

You need to understand that it doesn't matter if we get £100 million for Benteke, we will only be signing the same standard of player due to the wage structure. The people claiming that there are bargains at £2.2 million are either high on drugs or are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Michu? Fairly sure he cost around 2.2 million and wouldn't have had wages outside of our budget.

• Like 1

To listen to some of you I wonder why you even bother watching the Villa !

And you would think we were some utterlly dire side in a League of Giants.

Look at who we have played this season FFS !

There are loads and loads of Teams, including those at the top, who regularly play dissappointing football, who regularly cling on to 1-0 wins, who sometimes hoof the ball, whose players dont always play well.  You lot talk as if we ar esome horrible exception and it really beats me why anyone would even WANT to do that about their own Club, some of you revel in it !

As Regards Lerner, I am not his greatest fan but in case you haven't noticed he is by no means the wealthiest owner, or even in the Top 10, so arguments for spending more  - again  - are ignorant drivel.

This is why we must get a standing area - it is unbearable being next t opeople like this at a game, and one of the reasons Villa Park is not an easy place for our players to play.

It's just impossible to illustrate points with fans like you.... trying to aspire to a better standard of football is surely a positive thing and what better place to do it than on forums like this.

It is also difficult to illustrate a poor home record and depicting the Newcastle game as a perfect example without arguements like its only one game and look at the start we have had.

For sure some fans see different games than others, but rose tinted glasses don't make you a better fan...just as we see problems on the field of play don't make us any better either.

...but hey 2 home defeats, soon to be 3 does spell a problem to me....particularly when you watch the manner of them.

.......Defeatist

With that attitude we would never of found Benteke or even Dwight Yorke, Andy Gray would have been dismissed as too cheap and David Platt something similar.

I just don't buy your excuses.

I fully support Lambert, but there will come a time when he will be accountable and the quality or quantity debate will be aired...some of these signings will have to come off, (despite the modest fee's) in order for the fans/owner to have faith in progression.