A simple question

PussEKatt

We beat Liverpool 1-3,and we definately deserved that win.We still have the players that beat Liverpool.So my question is.

What has gone wrong since the Liverpool game ?

Liverpool didn't take their chances and go 3-0 up inside 20 mins.

We got drubbed a few times,  we didn't take the hint that we needed to tighten up at the back.
We then failed to 'get up' for big games against Wigan and Southampton at home for whatever reason, losing those games I think is more damaging than Chelski and Spurs games.
Leaving us in a state of no confidence and no real ability to pull us out.

I have thought about this myself. I think it has a lot to do with the team being low on confidence. When you are down you react like a manic-depressive to changing circumstances. When they take the lead they seem inspired by it and continue doing well untill they are either put under heavy pressure or they concede and are back to less than zero.

Against Liverpool we got the important 3rd goal 5 minutes in to the 2nd half, against WBA they were the ones that scored.

Liverpool seemed a bit complacent at the start. They could easily have gone 2 or 3 up in the first half hour and I think they just assumed if they just kept playing they would get the goals.

Then they got "Benteked". He was inspired that day and the team played a good counterattacking game that completely suckered Liverpool.

In other words, it was a bit of a one-off. Liverpool failed to turn their 60-40 possession and 17 shots into goals. Other teams haven't been so wasteful of chances. Benteke doesn't always spark like that. 

We beat Liverpool 1-3,and we definately deserved that win.We still have the players that beat Liverpool.So my question is.

The latent ability is there but the belief is not. Those same players togged out against Chelsea and got battered because Chelsea were a side capable of exposing weaknesses. Unfortunately that was a tipping point that we've yet to fully recover from. Liverpool was everything good that we're capable of. Chelsea was the opposite.

I think the players had their Xmas piss up after Liverpool and rocked up at Chelsea half pissed. Then Lambert had a massive bust up with them after the 8-0 made them train on Xmas day while he was at home with his feet up and since then he's lost the dressing room.

The latent ability is there but the belief is not. Those same players togged out against Chelsea and got battered because Chelsea were a side capable of exposing weaknesses. Unfortunately that was a tipping point that we've yet to fully recover from. Liverpool was everything good that we're capable of. Chelsea was the opposite.

If you drew a graph with the Liverpool game as the mid point, then we have gone downhill at about a 45 digree angle.

I can't see us recovering from such a steep decline,not this season anyway.

After the Liverpool game I thought it was because it was all clicking into place.

Now pretty obvious that had Liverpool finished better in the first 10 minutes we'd have got nothing from the game.

Same thing against Swansea.

We manage to pick up points when teams can't finish the endless chances they create against us.

Worrying times.

Edited by Big_John_10

If you drew a graph with the Liverpool game as the mid point, then we have gone downhill at about a 45 digree angle.

I can't see us recovering from such a steep decline,not this season anyway.

We're still something like 6th or 7th in the half-time league table. I know that counts for nothing in terms of Premier League survival but it can't be ignored that we're good enough to be beating teams at that point. We were even 2 up on WBA last weekend. If Lambert replaces the halftime whiskey and jaegerbombs with something more traditional then hopefully we'll go the distance and be OK.

I think using another game in quick succession is a big of an excuse.

You often hear after a bad defeat managers and players talking about how they can't wait for the next game to put things right.

Unfortunately I don't think our 'young and hungry' players have that attitude.

I think confidence is a huge issue. At the start of most games we do not really impose ourselves on the game, it's like we're just playing "safe" football till either they score, or we score, it's almost like we're waiting for something to react too, rather then just play our own way. I think thats largely comes down to confidence. When we concede first we struggle to get back into it. If we do score first everyone just seems that little bit more confident and wants the ball. Look after we scored against the Baggies, the football and confidence the whole squad was playing with was excellent. It's just a shame they can't continue that form for a whole 90 minutes. Same with the Liverpool game, had we conceded first we would have crumbled (like Wigan), but 'cos we scored we played with confidence. 

Edited by PieFacE

Injuries to key players left our inexperienced players exposed to the harsh realities of the league, as a result we got thumped a few times and the confidence went. The pressure has built and the players (and manager) don't have the nous to deal with it. This has led to some inexplicable tactical decisions and poor leadership on and off the field.

Placed alongside the slow realisation that we are a sinking ship and without investment from an absent owner and sound decision making from an inept chief executive, you have a recipe for failure.

A simple question deserves a simple answer, they're shit!

Â