Is fitness an issue?

AshVilla

I think the question needs to be asked

Is our current fitness coach and medical team good enough?

Whenever i look at our players in the 2nd half they look dead on their feet and lethargic

Were always being beaten to 50/50 balls and our closing down is rubbish

Any idea why Nzogbia was taken off today? He didn't look injured just knackered to me

It is noticeable how over the last 3 seasons we have had incredible amounts of injuries... Houllier was wiped by it out in his first half season, ditto AMC & now Paul Lambert... I can never remember such a harsh run of injuries & nearly always to the spine of the team too which cripples us & for me is why we have consistently struggled to find form.

It is noticeable how over the last 3 seasons we have had incredible amounts of injuries... Houllier was wiped by it out in his first half season, ditto AMC & now Paul Lambert... I can never remember such a harsh run of injuries & nearly always to the spine of the team too which cripples us & for me is why we have consistently struggled to find form.

Very true.

I don't think it's a fitness issue, it's the fact that we completely give up possession when we are ahead. Turns into a game where we just boot it upfield and desperately throw bodies in front of the ball until the opposition inevitably score.

I think that we haven't learned when to keep the ball and slow a game down (or we're not good enough to do it) it means we spend a lot of time chasing it and then towards the end of games we tire. I think nerves play a part too, our players look terrified at 2-0 up and I think this takes something out of you.

On a more personal note, I drive from one side of the Fort to the other so maybe I'm not the best person to be discussing fitness.

Why do we fade so much into the 2nd half of games though

We never have enough energy by the looks of it to get over the line

Time and time again we have been punished in the 2nd half by sides

The players are lethargic in the second halfs because they use up all their energy in the first half chasing down the ball "naive" trying to win back possession, but only teams like barcelona can do this tactic properly because they can keep possession of the ball longer once theyve won it... so that the players can get a breather.

Ive said this before, Villa need better medical staff because we always seem to have the highest number of injuries in the PL.

Why do we fade so much into the 2nd half of games though

we're a 100% confidence team. we'll play really really well in the first half, then the break comes and the other team has a chance to get their heads together. we go back out expecting it to be a coast, they're up for it, we give up possession a few times and it snowballs. our players fall apart mentally

Conceding early in the second half was the problem - it knocked confidence and caused us to play too deep. This is why we need a big personality in midfield to protect the back 4 and, more importantly, to stop heads going down.

Edited by thefeet1980

we're a 100% confidence team. we'll play really really well in the first half, then the break comes and the other team has a chance to get their heads together. we go back out expecting it to be a coast, they're up for it, we give up possession a few times and it snowballs. our players fall apart mentally

Yeah I agree, if they hadn't have scored so quickly in the second half I think we would have played differently, a lot similar to the second half.

Â