U.S. Politics

maqroll

6 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

No presidential immunity for the orange goblin then 😂😂😂

Thats the first appeal, he's got two more routes to go down yet. He can ask for the appeal court decision to be reviewed by the entire DC circuit or he can take it to the Supreme COurt. I guess he'll probably do both as it'll delay the process

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Thats the first appeal, he's got two more routes to go down yet. He can ask for the appeal court decision to be reviewed by the entire DC circuit or he can take it to the Supreme COurt. I guess he'll probably do both as it'll delay the process

I would think both but he has until the 12th Feb to lodge an appeal with SCOTUS and even then 4 judges have to affirm to decide whether it is taken up for review never mind offer a judgment.

edit: I think that maybe only lodge a ‘Stay’ of the judgement while an appeal is lodged deadline.

Edited by nick76
  • Thanks 1

Just watched Trumps speech after the verdict.

He says the president should have immunity, but he wasn’t president when the key events unfolded. He is asking for a life-long immunity from being prosecuted for anything. No way that is gonna stick. 

He is also still rambling on about protecting from voter fraud, how has he not learned his lesson on that? The man who is recorded on the telephone telling a state governor to find him 18,000 votes talking about protecting democracy. 

His tone was quite down beat though, less energy than usual. Maybe reality is just starting to hit.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Just watched Trumps speech after the verdict.

He says the president should have immunity, but he wasn’t president when the key events unfolded. He is asking for a life-long immunity from being prosecuted for anything. No way that is gonna stick. 

He is also still rambling on about protecting from voter fraud, how has he not learned his lesson on that? The man who is recorded on the telephone telling a state governor to find him 18,000 votes talking about protecting democracy. 

His tone was quite down beat though, less energy than usual. Maybe reality is just starting to hit.

Technically he was President wasn’t he, that was the whole point, they were trying to give Pences hand

Just now, bickster said:

Technically he was President wasn’t he, that was the whole point, they were trying to give Pences hand

Ah ok, I thought he wasn’t president anymore and it was just the admin side of things going through.

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

I believe you can only give Pence hand if his wife is present, and giving it.

• Haha 2

Wonder how much this is going to cost extra for Trump…question is how big is the nine figure fine going to be? Guessing this will bump it up a bit.

Just seen the clips of Biden confusing France with Germany, macron with Mitterrand (who’s been dead nearly 30 years) and unable to remember the name of hamas.

This year really is like that South Park episode where the voters have to decide between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

16 hours ago, Genie said:

Could you imagine the carnage that would unfold if Trump were to win the case that he has life-long immunity from criminal prosecution? 😮 

Biden could have him killed.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, limpid said:

Biden could have him killed.

Still could then if Trump were to win his case. Someone should ask Trump how we feels about the fact Biden could legally have him killed or tortured, or maybe have all his assets and money simply taken away, or thrown in prison without a trial. 

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

Not really, because that would imply both choices are equally bad. It should be pretty obvious to literally anyone with a functioning brain that Trump is much worse than Biden, even if Biden is past the age where he should be holding office.

Also if someone followed me around with a video camera for a few weeks (let alone years) you’d probably be able to make a highlights video making me look senile and I’m not even 40 yet.

Totally. It's a choice between someone 'unfit for office' and 'dangerous and unfit for office'

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:
3 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Just seen the clips of Biden confusing France with Germany, macron with Mitterrand (who’s been dead nearly 30 years) and unable to remember the name of hamas.

This year really is like that South Park episode where the voters have to decide between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

Not really, because that would imply both choices are equally bad. It should be pretty obvious to literally anyone with a functioning brain that Trump is much worse than Biden, even if Biden is past the age where he should be holding office.

Also if someone followed me around with a video camera for a few weeks (let alone years) you’d probably be able to make a highlights video making me look senile and I’m not even 40 yet.

Yep, Speaker Johnson who is only 52 years old confused Iran and Israel a couple of days ago…here’s a snippet.

4 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Totally. It's a choice between someone 'unfit for office' and 'dangerous and unfit for office'

One of the more pernicious propagandas that right wing media and social media have been effective at it is perpetuating this 'unfit for office' and 'Biden dementia' (as evidenced just by the clips you referenced).

There's a difference between 'unfit for office' and 'too old for office', the latter of which everyone can agree with.

But in terms of being fit for office - Biden has done a remarkable job with the narrow majorities he had on legislation, put together an effective cabinet staff with very little controversy, and has rebuilt many of the international ties severed during the Trump era - all while navigating two dangerous international conflicts.

That his major legislative accomplishments (lowering prescription drug costs, major country infrastructure that Republicans like to pretend they voted for, created domestic manufacturing jobs, child tax credit, green energy jobs) are not immediately touted is a major PR failure but the very accomplishments themselves won't be noticed until years down the road when Biden is long dead. It's not a quick media hit like LOWER TAXES that have profound negative long term impacts.

This is not a point to pick with you specifically but just a generalization that people, and specifically American people, are easily swayed over a 30 second clip (though this is nothing new and why Obama is so popular despite Biden arguably accomplishing more than he did in the first 2 years) as opposed to the actual betterment of the constituency. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â