U.S. Politics

maqroll

CPAC getting underway with the likely next president in attendance. Although, it's really interesting to see de Santis hedge his bets and avoid showing up given the amount of backroom donor fun that happens there. Wonder if he is waiting for Biden to declare or is still undecided.

6 hours ago, villakram said:

CPAC getting underway with the likely next president in attendance. Although, it's really interesting to see de Santis hedge his bets and avoid showing up given the amount of backroom donor fun that happens there. Wonder if he is waiting for Biden to declare or is still undecided.

Don't you think Trump will go ballistic and run as an independent if the GOP nominate Ron?

From an outsider's perspective, Trump vs DeSantis sounds like an ok matchup on paper, but once the Trump war machine powers up and they face each other in a few debates it'll be a massacre.

DeSantis is pretty bad in debates when confronted, and lacks charisma and charm.

I'm not saying Trump has any of the latter two but he will absolutely steamroller DeSantis in a debate. It'll be borderline Jeb Bush embarrassing.

If I were a betting man, Trump at evens for GOP nominee looks like free money to me.

And just for clarity, I don't like either of them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Don't you think Trump will go ballistic and run as an independent if the GOP nominate Ron?

Perhaps. It's not clear to me that Ron is set on running or that he and Trump are actually enemies (political or otherwise). The post election bump that Ron got has started to dissipate and his lack of engagement at the national level has allowed this to happen. This could be a deliberate strategy, waiting to see how things play out, i.e., specifically having the Dems run Biden again and by proxy destroy any possible viable candidacy from another Dem politician. He may have internal polling that shows he'll have no problem jumping right back up in the polls, but "mood" and "momentum" are fickle things. He didn't have much to lose by spending his time guns blazing on Biden over the past few months imho... other than Trump shenanigans.

I am sure they'll be willing to put on a good show if the circumstances are right however.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2023 at 19:05, villakram said:

I just don’t see a Republican winning in 2024.  Trump isn’t going to win if he’s the nominee and if he’s not he and his followers will destroy the Republican nominee for independent votes during the lead up to the election.  

For all Biden’s faults the left will be fully behind him and he can sit and watch the right destroy themselves.  Trump isn’t getting the turn out he needs to beat Biden and because of his influence he will have destroyed the chance of that for any other nominee in his party.  Incumbents generally do well on reelection but Biden will have it easier than usual imo.

13 hours ago, nick76 said:

I just don’t see a Republican winning in 2024.  Trump isn’t going to win if he’s the nominee and if he’s not he and his followers will destroy the Republican nominee for independent votes during the lead up to the election.  

For all Biden’s faults the left will be fully behind him and he can sit and watch the right destroy themselves.  Trump isn’t getting the turn out he needs to beat Biden and because of his influence he will have destroyed the chance of that for any other nominee in his party.  Incumbents generally do well on reelection but Biden will have it easier than usual imo.

There is a high likelihood for a recession of some form before the election. Biden, as president, will own this.

Polling indicates a much tighter race than you suggest. It is miles away from election day, however.

9 hours ago, villakram said:

There is a high likelihood for a recession of some form before the election. Biden, as president, will own this.

Polling indicates a much tighter race than you suggest. It is miles away from election day, however.

Oh I agree polling suggests closer at the moment but that’s while there is reasonable harmony in the Republican nominee run but once that gets into full force it’s not going to be pretty whereas it looks like there will be harmony in all the way to election day on the left.  Even when the GOP pick the nominee, it doesn’t look like all Republican voters will back the candidate depending on who it is and may stay away.  Even if that doesn’t happen, the bitter fight leading up to picking the candidate may well turn off independents.

As for recession, many believe that the US will narrowly avoid recession now with even the U.S. Bank saying they believe they will avoid a recession and it’ll be flat GDP growth.

As you say we are miles away from election day and plenty of time for things to happen on both sides.  At the moment though under current landscape it looks like a similar victory for the left in 2024 as in 2020.

34 minutes ago, sne said:

Feel good hit of the summer?

What’s the bet Jon Schaffer is the undisclosed musician who produced this or is he still awol for ratting on everyone?

• Like 1

"WASHINGTON — President Biden had a cancerous lesion removed from his chest during his physical last month, the president’s doctor said Friday."

Per the NYT via  msn.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/lesion-removed-during-biden-s-physical-was-cancerous/ar-AA18cfvK?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=ae219b48c35b4b7b81fc46034aee2554&ei=18

1 hour ago, villakram said:

"WASHINGTON — President Biden had a cancerous lesion removed from his chest during his physical last month, the president’s doctor said Friday."

Per the NYT via  msn.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/lesion-removed-during-biden-s-physical-was-cancerous/ar-AA18cfvK?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=ae219b48c35b4b7b81fc46034aee2554&ei=18

Is this seen as a big deal in the U.S.?  After living in Australia like I did for years, removal of skin cancers is fairly common for various ages and not a big deal.  Even my mom in her early seventies at the time here in the UK had one removed with no issue.  

Sounds like some U.S. media are freaking out about it but unless I’m missing something and obviously I’m no doctor, this is a nothing burger.

On 02/03/2023 at 07:16, Vancvillan said:

From an outsider's perspective, Trump vs DeSantis sounds like an ok matchup on paper, but once the Trump war machine powers up and they face each other in a few debates it'll be a massacre.

DeSantis is pretty bad in debates when confronted, and lacks charisma and charm.

I'm not saying Trump has any of the latter two but he will absolutely steamroller DeSantis in a debate. It'll be borderline Jeb Bush embarrassing.

If I were a betting man, Trump at evens for GOP nominee looks like free money to me.

And just for clarity, I don't like either of them.

Saying De Santis has no charisma nor charm is disingenuous. He would get buy just fine in any debate with Trump. 

4 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Saying De Santis has no charisma nor charm is disingenuous. He would get buy just fine in any debate with Trump. 

I’m with @Vancvillan in that DeSantis lacks any charisma.  

Sure, anybody who likes what he says will cheer but as a speaker his delivery is far from Presidential as they’ve said over the decades.  He’s not going to captivate swing voters, general audiences or keep attention for long speeches.  

Also in debate he would struggle with elite debaters and he’s going to be completely thrown off by Trump’s sheer randomness and DeSantis will struggle because he doesn’t like confrontation or being question.  

I thought DeSantis initially was going to be able rival Trump but over the last year, the more national focus, the more that it shows that is not the case imo.  

Trump will look unhinged in any debate but he’ll make sure DeSantis comes out looking poor.  

I’m looking forward to the disaster.  

American politics is fascinating on both sides of the aisle and the right is the most entertaining at the moment.

• Like 1

Of course, this thunder word removed has now said he's been taken out of context and that he's fine with transgender people existing but he wants transgenderism eradicated, and the right wing lap it up.

Â