Headphones

Villaboy69

OK youngsters I'm seeking your guidance -

My 14 year old son has placed his requests for Christmas to my surprise he has asked for some headphones. Obviously being an 'uncool' dad I have no idea what he was after other than the name.

Dr Dre Beats mean absolutely nothing to me but i have noticed them on the advertisement on VT.

So guys firstly are they any good?

Why is there such a price variance? Some are about 120 quid whilst others are 260 and there are some inbetween and some even more expensive.

Are they worth the money or are there better options.

IS it just the latest thing to be seen 'cool' having

I've got a pair of Creative Aurvana Live (that at the time cost me £45) which I brought to replace my trusty Panasonic HTX-7's (£25) and they were both amazing for the money.

I've also just brought some Soundmagic E30 inner earphones which cost £30 and so far I'm well happy. Unless you're really going to break the bank you can't go far wrong with any of them.

Don't waste your money on that over priced Beats tat... unless your sole purpose for buying them is because you think having sata cables coming out your ears will make you cool.

Dre Beats are more of a fashion statement rather than quality. If you want to overpay for very poor quality headphones, then get the Beats.

It really depends on what you're willing to pay.

If i buy anything like headphones, i go for Sennheiser. I have headphones for pc, portable and Xbox. Had them for years without problem and they have been through some abuse.

Like others have said, he's 14 and probably wants them to impress others rather than have a decent set of headphones.

A 14 year old is probably more interested in the brand than the quality. Get the Beats.

Agreed.

Audiophiles will argue for bloody hours about which phones get the best of of each type of music, others will argue about which are the most durable, or which are the best value for money.

unfortunately, I suspect your lad won't give a toss, and no matter how much better Sennheisers, etc, are, it's a bit like asking for a stylish Ferrari, and being given a Peugeot because it gets a better MPG and it'll be easier to get parts if it breaks down.

Just get the Beats.

it's a bit like asking for a stylish Ferrari

Then finding it had the engine of a Y reg Cavalier.

Beats are a fashion accessory.

It's what's what they want.

If they're going to used with proper Hi-Fi (rather than squished MP3 & movies), you're selling yourself well short for your dollar.

So being blinded by branding is okay if its Villa branding? ;)

I'd agree with the consensus that to a 14 year old, Beats are clearly the best headphones in the world and there isn't much you can do to change that view even if it (obviously) isn't true.

FWIW Beats aren't shit, they are just overpriced.

I'd get the cheapest beats you can afford mate. I work in a school, they are the current 'must have' item. If he wants them, he doesn't want them because he has suddenly become an audiophile overnight.

In terms of sound quality, they're not bad, they are very bassy which suits a lot of the music that 'the kids' are listening to these days. If you can afford them, get 'em, I suspect he'll be well chuffed. If not, don't, I'm sure he'll understand.

Actually, he didn't say he wanted Beats, or that the kid wanted Beats, only that he'd seen them advertised. The kid may not be into trendy crap, and may be an enlightened 14 yr old who wants decent sound quality.

Yeah, alright.

So being blinded by branding is okay if its Villa branding? ;)

I'd agree with the consensus that to a 14 year old, Beats are clearly the best headphones in the world and there isn't much you can do to change that view even if it (obviously) isn't true.

FWIW Beats aren't shit, they are just overpriced.

The build quality isn't the best on them. My mate is constantly getting the screwdriver out on his pair. These are the screws in question.

1zwnq79.jpg

No matter what he does they wont stay tight.

Actually, he didn't say he wanted Beats, or that the kid wanted Beats, only that he'd seen them advertised. The kid may not be into trendy crap, and may be an enlightened 14 yr old who wants decent sound quality.

Yeah, alright.

Yeah, so you read the OP carefully and I didn't.

I have no idea what he was after other than the name.

He knows the kid wants the Beats.

Thanks for the feedback guys its proved really helpful, if only to confirm my worst fears thats it's really all about street ced.

Strange that when I was a lad I didn't give a toss maybe thats why I turned into this tremendously 'Uncool Dad'. However I do console myself that I did at least get one this right and that was to ensure that the aforementioned junior is claret and blue through and through and the only time he moans at me is for my choice of attire and when I have to tell him that unfortunately there are the few away games that we can't go to.

Anyway back to the god damn Beats and one last question.

Do I pay the extra for wireless?

Â