The over-inflated ego of Wilfried Zaha

AshVilla

Sky Sports

England's newest recruit Wilfried Zaha admits he only looks up to world stars Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

The 20-year-old winger is considered one of the most exciting talents in English football and his fine form for the Eagles was rewarded with a call to the senior squad for Wednesday's friendly against Sweden.spacer.gif

Zaha insists he is not overawed by rubbing shoulders with the game's big names and the confident youngster believes his skills can match up with the very best.

"I want to come up against defenders who will properly test me," he told The Guardian. "I'd never look at someone and think he's better than me, unless it's Cristiano Ronaldospacer.gif or Lionel Messi.spacer.gif When I get on the pitch it's my time."

Zaha played a starring role in Palace's Carling Cup win at Manchester Unitedspacer.gif last season and relished the chance to compete on the big stage at Old Trafford.spacer.gif

"I was so nervous for that game, but as we stepped out, I thought I'm obviously here for a reason, so just go out and do what you normally do. "I've not really come up against a defender yet where I've thought: "What can I really do to go past him? "We came up against people who have played in the Premier League every week, like Danny Murphyspacer.gifthe other day. I used to watch him all the time and he's played for years.

"I know I'm 10 times faster than this guy so I didn't have to do any trickery. I'd just push it and go past him. "I'm not scared coming up against people like that because I've analysed what they do." Zaha admits he is still undecided about his international future, despite his England call-up, and Didier Drogba has urged him to play for Ivory Coast - the country of his birth. "I was born in the Ivory Coast but all I know is England," he said. "It's 50-50 at the moment. "Didier Drogba called me and I was shocked, to be honest. He's a humble guy.

I've been with England Under-21s and now I will have to make a decision." A hosts of clubs, including Manchester City, Arsenal and Liverpool have been linked with a January move for Zaha, but he is enjoying regular first-team football with the Eagles.

He is fully aware of the perils of stepping up to the Premier League too soon and does not want to follow in the footsteps of John Bostock, who failed to make an impact at Tottenham after making the move from Palace as a teenager. Zaha said: "The Premier League is where I want to go, but I'm not saying I want to leave Palace right now.

"John Bostock left Palace when he was 16 and playing in the first team, but he left for the first club that came in for him - that's kind of stupid. "Me I've played over 100 games in the Championship. (Alex) Oxlade Chamberlain went from League One to Arsenal and didn't play anywhere near that.

Who does this bloke think he is?

Granted he may be a promising youngster who is on fire in the championship at the minute but does nobody else think he's being a tad bit egotistical and slightly arrogant. He thinks his skills match up to the likes of Messi and Ronaldo? Bitch please.... For the transfer fee palace are quoting 20 mill I don't think he will be going anywhere soon. We paid 10 mill for Ashley Young and people were saying he was overpriced at the time

I remember when Routledge looked decent for Palace.. How many games at Wigan did it take for Moses another Palace player to become a decent player ready to make the step up to a club like Chelsea? He looked pretty average when he first made the step up to the premier league

Maybe City will spunk out the 20 million though they are always looking to tap up young English talent for their subs bench how many games has Sinclair and Rodwell played for them since they got there

I bet Danny Murphy can't wait to knock him down a peg or two the next time they meet in a game either..

A tad bit disrespectful to a guy who has made over 300 premier league appearances for my liking

So you agree with him and think the only players out there better than him are Messi and Ronaldo former Ballon D'or winners?

Theres a fine line between overconfidence and pure arrogance imo

Thats right Wilfried... your already as good as players such as Hazard and Aguero.. I'm sure you would walk straight into the Barcelona starting eleven

In your dreams son

I don't think he's said anything too bad to be honest.

I wouldnt expect any footballer to be looking at opposition players thinking 'He's definitely better than me'. I quite like his quotes in all honesty.

if he still has that confidence at 25 then he'll be a great player

its arrogant and makes him sound a word removed but its got to be better than having the attitude that he'll sign for a big club next summer on £60k a week and put his feet up having made it

Talk is cheap though

Prove me wrong Wilfried

If he's not as good as Ronaldo or Messi challenging for domestic/european honours for one of the biggest clubs playing in the one of the best divisions in the world within 5 years i think these words will come back to haunt him

After looking at his stats compared to Moses and Routledge when they were at palace he doesn't even look that good

He has the talent to back it up. Maybe hes verbalised some opinions that are better kept in private, but i dont think theres too much wrong there.

think difference is at 20 ronaldo and messi were playing for biggest clubs in Europe, he is still at Palace(no disrespect)

He's said that he's got the confidence and won't look at any player and say "he is better than me". I imagine the 'unless it's Messi or Ronaldo' was probably added as a little joke and it's been taken out of context.

"I want to come up against defenders who will properly test me". If that's not a plea for a Premiership club to come in for him then I don't know what is.

Yeah I don't think he's really saying "I am better than everyone apart from MEssi and Ronaldo"

It's more like saying he doesn't fear anyone. He's not putting anyone on a pedestal or being in awe of them.

The hype around this guy is worrying, but I don't think he's said much wrong here.

Some of the things he says are just common sense, who'd want a career like John Bostock (where is he now), staying at Palace has served him and the likes of Nathaniel Clyne well. As for the Messi/Ronaldo thing, i'm not sure he really believes he's only got those two better than him. Confidence can do great things for a kid, Our youngsters often need building up, i wouldn't say Zaha needs that.

I think he's got every right to be comparing himself to Ronaldo and Messi. He's a once in a generation player and I'd happily see Randy pay out anything up to £28.5m for him, no problem.

He's a better finisher than Graham Fenton, he can dribble like Nii Lamptey, he can run 100m in under 8.4 seconds - in football boots. On an ice rink.

Get him bought I say. We let Ethan Moore slip away, let's not have it happen again.

Rename Villa Park after him if we have to.

Â