January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Emergency meeting is needed on Monday. Lerner needs to give Lambert £20m (can be partially off-set by a £10m sale of Bent in the summer). For a bit of a mix of Premiership experience and quality we have to go for players like...

Dann & Olsson - £10m

Ince - £7m

Trotter - £3m

Thing is now every other club will know we are desperate so will rinse us, as they should, and we won't sign anyone.

Houllier had a vision and style of play that needed time and had the contacts to get us exciting players.

worst thing that happened to us in recent times was houllier's ticker **** up again. not mcleish, not lerner. but that

What kind / level of players do you think we could attract?

I think we probably kan attract top/very good players from most of the bigger leagues in Europe (including spain, Italy and even germany), maybe not from clubs challenging for CL, but not far from that. Remember that the average PL team pay a lot higher wages than teams in other leagues.

I think our wage problem and our ability to have a competitive team will not be that hard IF we mix foreign players with Brittish.

Our main problem now is that everone knows we are desperate to offload a couple of players and replace them, so we will get less money (may even have to pay part of future wages) players leaving and paying higher transfer fees for player coming in.

Finally I think we can attract good players but beeing in the position we are will make it more expensive. And to get this club running with a profit means we have to spend now to increase revenue/profit later. Bad decisions have been made that we suffer from now and will do for a while, but that is all sunk costs.

Its hard to give examples of specific players so I might not have answered your question but I tryed.

you were doing so well until I came to the last paragraph! Much to agree with

I just don't get it Richard. Houllier was far far better than Lambert yet the support that the two managers have received from you could not have been different.

worst thing that happened to us in recent times was houllier's ticker **** up again. not mcleish, not lerner. but that

I agree. I don't think we'd have been challenging for the top 4 or anything but we would've had stability and I think he would have left us with some very good players.

Makoun? 

Seems strange that results picked up the minute he was on gardening leave

Results were picking up before then.

Edited by Mantis

Makoun? 

Seems strange that results picked up the minute he was on gardening leave

coincidence, convenience or culmination of his work?

sure why didn't we go get mcallister as our full time manager given how great he did when he took over?

Houllier had better players at his disposal and we were dire. Admittedly the wind had changed and, in retrospect, we were looking like a club on the wane after a few seasons of unsustainable spending (on wages, mostly).

Perhaps he could have done more if he had time, but he didn't. It happened and a **** of errors followed and we are where we are - ****.

Houllier had a vision and style of play that needed time and had the contacts to get us exciting players.

He just couldn't cut it in the dressing room or on the touch line.  You could tell that he just wasn't up for it.  He still had O'Neill's squad minus Milner plus about £30m to spend in January and had us in a relegation battle, which I think is worse than McLeish and Lambert achieved.  I was very supportive of his appointment but in hindsight wish it was just as a director of football with a young and hungry first-team coach.  It was a missed opportunity for the club.

Houllier didn't do a great job with us by any stretch but we did pick up towards the end and in comparison to Lambert and McLeish he did a fantastic job.

I thought things started to well after he cried off sick?

Houllier didn't do a great job with us by any stretch but we did pick up towards the end and in comparison to Lambert and McLeish he did a fantastic job.

Unfair comparison. Lambert's been here for a lot less time and didn't inherit the squad Houllier did.

But the squad? Losing Milner and never replacing him was the beginning of the demise. MON relied on about 14 players. After he left and Milner was gone and we got injuries to Petrov NRC, and suddenly we had Hogg and Bannan as our central midfield. The problems that we have now were exposed then, in my opinion. 

Edited by praisedmambo