January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

How kind of Randy and Paul to have personally let the telegraph know what they spoke about in their meaning, even nicer they gave a national newspaper a specific figure of how much were going to spend.

**** me, do people actually believe they did that. Its all speculation, jesus christ think first type second.

Lowton has done ok albeit he was awful v Wigan

Bennett and KEA look awful signings

Benteke - not sure about him at all

He was playing as a CB for most of the game, what did you expect?

No, they haven't. Bennett hasn't had enough game time to judge and KEA started very well, slumped and played badly, then in his past couple of cameos is looking better again.

He's 22 and has been brilliant, save for the last 3 games when the entire team played like shit.

CI - Genuinely not trying to have a pop or anything here, and feel free to correct me if im wrong but Im certain a few weeks ago you were full of praise for him. Due to three poor performances and shocking results your now not sure about him at all?

Maybe my view on him has changed over the last 3 games due to his poor attitude and application, that Liverpool game really went to his head. Prior to that I'd say he looked ok, but overall he has missed a lot of chances at places like Southampton Fulham and Spurs. Chances that I think Bent would have put away.

I hope he proves me wrong starting tomorrow .

Lowton has been quite inconsistent. He started out as a decent defender but was pretty bad going forward. He seems to have gotten better at getting forward but worse defensively. He needs some time to fine tune his game. He has potential but I don't think we should be relying on him just let.

Benteke has also been inconsistent. Some matches he just flat out looks like he doesnt care whatsoever. Benteke probably has the most potential out of all our younger players but he needs to be more consistent.

Bennett has been pretty bad in my opinion. He is awful at defending. He gets beat too easily probably because he is constantly out of position. He seems like a winger player fullback.

KEA started out very well but then his form dropped. He needs to figure out what type of player he is. I don't know what to classify him as to be honest. Is he a defending mid, box to box mid, or an attacking mid?

Vlaar has been a good signing. He looks like he can be a very good defender if he stays healthy.

Maybe my view on him has changed over the last 3 games due to his poor attitude and application, that Liverpool game really went to his head. Prior to that I'd say he looked ok, but overall he has missed a lot of chances at places like Southampton Fulham and Spurs. Chances that I think Bent would have put away.

I hope he proves me wrong starting tomorrow .

I dont think it is at all fair, or possible to make an accurate conclusion on a player on the basis of three games. I have to admit he has pissed me off alot in the last three games I just think its completely unjustifiable to go from praising him, which im sure you did, pretty sure sure it was alot more than thinking he was looking "ok" :P to not sure at all. I dont doubt he needs to address a few of the issues raised recently but assess him on the season as a whole. Without him, we would be screwed more than we are now.

Would Bent of scored the ones he did ? Would Bent of got the assists he did ? Would Bent hold the play when were backs against the wall and give our midfield an opportunity to move up the pitch and retain possession ? I beg to differ.

This isnt a Bent vs Benteke argument for me. Bent is a quality player but we do not have the players at the moment to combine the both of them. That being said its not worked at all the last three games so i reckon tekkers and bent should start next game.

Anyway this is the transfer talk thread, but I have faith that both Lambert and Lerner know their are issues and are going to address them. I always felt we would be around here come January, arbeit not on the form were currently on but a good transfer window, few injured players returning and we could be ok.

1 x cb

1 x dm

1 x cm

1 x w/am

1 x cf

Fairly outrageous wish list though.

Kea and Bennett have been awful at times this season.

Extremely harsh on Bennett.

He had a few games adjusting to the league, looked nervous and then got injured/sent off.

He's come back and has played a few games where he's looked good going forward and 'okay' at the back.

I don't think it's fair to say he's been awful in the short time he was playing before he got injured.

How kind of Randy and Paul to have personally let the telegraph know what they spoke about in their meaning, even nicer they gave a national newspaper a specific figure of how much were going to spend.

**** me, do people actually believe they did that. Its all speculation, jesus christ think first type second.

Exactly. There's not a shred of evidence in that piece, nothing at all to support what he's saying. It reads like a summary of the speculation you can read on this and other sites, with a few general musings from Holman thrown in. It has no more weight than a post on this thread.

The quality of journalism has really fallen, and it's now largely a case of what they can grab from the net while sat on their arse.

Edited by peterms

Its not just about the fees.

What kind of wages are we going to be able to offer? Becsuse why else will quality players come to us.

And clearly his signings so far haven't been good enough because we are worse than last year. We don't need more potential in jan we need players that will improve us instantly.

Exactly. There's not a shred of evidence in that piece, nothing at all to support what he's saying. It reads like a summary of the speculation you can read on this and other sites, with a few general musings from Holman thrown in. It has no more weight than a post on this thread.

The quality of journalism has really fallen, and it's now largely a case of what they can grab from the net while sat on their arse.

Being a football Journo must be the perfect job. Aside from writing a few good articles here and there ( I used the word good loosely ) based on fact or some form of calculated opinion, you can literally make up whatever the hell you want and it sells.

Did anyone see the skysports article a few days ago titled "Lambert rules out spending" or something along those lines. Dirty bastards take everything out of context and put words in peoples mouths. **** hate the media

Interesting to see a neutral opinion on some of our summer signings.

This side is selected from the players who are providing value for money and making the biggest impact on English football.

Goalkeeper - Ben Foster (Birmingham to West Brom, undisclosed).

It didn't take long for West Brom to decide to sign Foster on a permanent basis after his successful loan spell at The Hawthorns last season. He was named Albion's supporters' Player of the Year and players' Player of the Year and impressed again this term prior to injury problems in November. The former Manchester United man is now back to further enhance his reputation and will surely remain between the posts for the Baggies for many years.

Right-back - Nathaniel Clyne (Crystal Palace to Southampton, undisclosed).

Southampton had to play the waiting game before agreeing a fee for Clyne in the summer but it was well worth the patience. The full-back has made the step up from the Championship with ease by becoming one of the main bright sparks in the Saints' season to date. The right-back is pleased he turned down the chance to join Newcastle prior to his move to St Mary's and Nigel Adkins is certainly pleased with how the 21-year-old is performing.

Centre-back - Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord to Aston Villa, undisclosed).

Villa have been way out of form in their last three games but there has been plenty to like about some of their summer recruits (Ashley Westwood also makes this team and Matthew Lowton, Joe Bennett and Christian Benteke all went close). Vlaar quickly took over the captaincy at Villa Park and we have all clearly seen just how much his influence was missed in the heavy defeats against Chelsea, Tottenham and Wigan. The Dutchman has plenty of experience from his time with Feyenoord and you can be sure Villa will be a stronger proposition upon his return.

Centre-back - Matija Nastasic (Fiorentina to Manchester City, undisclosed).

City were busy on deadline day with Richard Wright, Maicon, Scott Sinclair, Javi Garcia and Nastasic all arriving at the club. The other four (although don't write off Garcia just yet) haven't made too big an impact but the 19-year-old Serbian has proved to be a quality addition. There is much more to come from him and David Platt says that it is an "old head on young shoulders" responsible for the quick acclimatisation to life in England. Already becoming a first-choice member of the City starting XI is a big achievement and the Etihad Stadium fans can be very pleased with this signing.

Left-back - Danny Rose (Tottenham to Sunderland, loan).

Rose has proved to be a superb loan addition for Sunderland. The full-back has yet to prove his worth on a consistent basis for Tottenham and the temporary switch to the North East is working out well for all parties. Martin O'Neill admits the 22-year-old is now playing with more "freedom" at the Stadium of Light and there is more to come for the rest of the campaign.

Right-midfield- Victor Moses (Wigan to Chelsea, undisloced).

I didn't expect Moses to provide too much for Chelsea (see Sinclair's impact at Manchester City) but that opinion has been proved wrong. Wigan fans have been raving about the versatile forward for a long time and they have been proved right as to his capabilities on a bigger stage. The 21-year-old has four goals to his name so far for the Blues and it's his direct running that has proved the biggest asset to his new club. Rafa Benitez has lots of quality to work with but you can be sure the former Crystal Palace youngster will be getting more chances to shine.

Centre-midfield - Ashley Westwood (Crewe to Aston Villa, undisclosed).

Villa aren't making too many positives headlines at the moment but fans of the club should still feel good about this signing. The 22-year-old has made the step up from League Two football at Crewe last season to the bright lights of the Premier League and proved that is quality to be had further down football's pyramid. Paul Lambert is right to point out the midfielder's best skill is 'never giving the ball away' and that is certainly something every club in the world could do with.

Centre-midfield - Moussa Dembele (Fulham to Tottenham, £15million).

Dembele has already established himself as a player Tottenham can't do without. The White Hart Lane side have been infinitely better with the Belgian starting and it's not a surprise to see plenty of praise heading the way of the former Fulham man. You can fully understand why Martin Jol didn't want to lose his star man just before the deadline but that loss is Spurs' gain. Andre Villas-Boas' side have a great chance of a top-four spot this season and his summer signing is the main man to get them there.

Left-midfield - Santi Cazorla (Malaga to Arsenal, undisclosed).

The playmaker has certainly added more magic to the Premier League since his arrival from Malaga. Arsenal have been the beneficiaries of his talents and Arsene Wenger can be happy this is one signing that can't be used to beat his reputation with. Cazorla's hat-trick against Reading on December 17 created lots of headlines and there has been a real consistency to his game so far at the Emirates. The Gunners certainly need more of the same from the Spaniard for the rest of the season.

Striker - Robin van Persie (Arsenal to Manchester United, undisclosed).

A very, very simple choice. Van Persie is clearly the reason United are ahead of rivals City in the title race and also gives the Red Devils more to worry Real Madrid with in the last 16 of the Champions League. There have been 17 club goals already from the Dutchman so far this season and it would be surprising in the extreme if more don't follow for the remainder of the campaign. Arsenal have missed him but the Old Trafford fans don't care with RVP now one of their own.

Striker - Michu (Rayo Vallecano to Swansea, £2million).

You won't find any better £2million deals these days. Michu had already made his mark at Rayo Vallecano but his career has been taken to new levels with his performances for Swansea. Michael Laudrup knew just what he was getting when the forward made the move to Wales but even the Swans chief must be surprised at just how much class the Spaniard has provided. The Michu magic has certainly captivated the Liberty Stadium crowd with 14 goals to his name so far this season.

Subs: Hugo Lloris (Lyon to Tottenham, £7.9million), Matthew Lowton (Sheffield United to Aston Villa, undisclosed),Jan Vertonghen (Ajax to Tottenham, undisclosed), Claudio Yacob (Racing Club de Avellaneda to West Brom, free), Oscar (Internacional to Chelsea, undisclosed), Steven Fletcher (Wolves to Sunderland, undisclosed), Christian Benteke (Genk to Aston Villa, £7million)

Link

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner will provide further financial backing to manager Paul Lambert during the January transfer window to help stave off the threat of relegation, Press Association Sport understands.

(stating the obvious)

Someone at VP has picked up the phone and said something vague to the PA to counter the tone of the Torygraph piece.

At the bare minimum we need a CB and a CM in - which 'should' be doable with the 'reported' £10m transfer kitty.

If we can also offload any of the likes of Hutton, Warnock, Ireland, N'Zogbia and dare I say it Bent to strengthen the squad with further bodies then so be it.

The midfield remains one of the mysteries for me..

we have had 3-4 managers in a short period of time yet none of them really gave the midfield any attention at all, very obvious we lack any sort of strength there or a proper leader/experienced head (since Petrov)

To leave the midfield as it is has been for years is almost criminal, very poor.

Is it the funds? Is it the managers thinking they have enough? I don't know but I hope to see midfielders come in Jan window.