January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

I wrote a letter to Father Christmas asking for Ronaldinho to join us in January so if it doesn't happen, I'm taking it as conclusive proof he doesn't exist.

And by 'he' I mean Ronaldinho, not Father Christmas.

Clark just costs us to many goals. Think Vlaar needs an experienced partner this window

Clark just costs us to many goals. Think Vlaar needs an experienced partner this window

The first two goals were both Herds fault! On the first goal he totally dropped the marking on Torres. The second one was just poor defending giving away a freekick when not needing to do so.

have we been linked with anyone interesting? anyone remotly interesting? morrison doesnt count...

even reading have been linked with arshavin! even if hes been sheit for a while its still more interesting than anything ive heard about villa..

dont want to sound like a party pooper but i think the january window might be alot more horrid than some believes... we dont really have the squad or anything to offer any top players anymore and seeing as lambert has already said he wont accept extortionate prices in the january window and combine that with the new salary ethos at villa is not really looking bright. We will probably end up with something along the lines of another two championship players when what we really need is quality, now rather then having to wait 4-5 months for players to get into the game. Even if lambert is great at finding these players we need someone who can hit the ground running in the same way as bent saved us when he came in january and that will be costly.

am i beeing to much of a doom monger ?

Didn't most say that come Jan we'd be in a much better position, presumably meaning we'd be 13th or higher? Right?

Well this time last season we had two more points on 20pts, and had a -4 goal difference and were 12th.

We are 16th now, 18pts, -17 goal difference. Even if we allow for order of fixtures against big teams and injuries - this is not an improvement.

Now i appreciate that you can make stats tell any story and that many would agree we look better than we did under McCleish football and optimism wise (apart from what happened Saturday). But the cold hard fact is that although many think Lambert is pointing the club and players in the right direction, there is still no proof whatsover that we are ACTUALLY walking in that direction.

If we lose to Spurs all of the recent optmimism/momentum will have gone completely if it hasn't already, a win or draw against Wigan will mean we go back to tredding water, a loss and the conversations will all focus on relegation again.

Lambert has to either work out a way of re-integrating some of the expensively paid talent we still have or replacing them with new talent and experience.

Excellent post and describes exactly what is happening at the moment without bias.

No, it's not - you just happen to agree with it as it coincides with your agenda.

The comparison of this season and last is futile in the extreme because we haven't played exactly the same games in the same order as we did last year - the stats are flawed so why bother using them?

Yeah I'm sure if we were sitting 9th with more points and a good goal difference you'd never mention stats compared to last season.

• Like 1

Didn't most say that come Jan we'd be in a much better position, presumably meaning we'd be 13th or higher? Right?

Well this time last season we had two more points on 20pts, and had a -4 goal difference and were 12th.

We are 16th now, 18pts, -17 goal difference. Even if we allow for order of fixtures against big teams and injuries - this is not an improvement.

Now i appreciate that you can make stats tell any story and that many would agree we look better than we did under McCleish football and optimism wise (apart from what happened Saturday). But the cold hard fact is that although many think Lambert is pointing the club and players in the right direction, there is still no proof whatsover that we are ACTUALLY walking in that direction.

If we lose to Spurs all of the recent optmimism/momentum will have gone completely if it hasn't already, a win or draw against Wigan will mean we go back to tredding water, a loss and the conversations will all focus on relegation again.

Lambert has to either work out a way of re-integrating some of the expensively paid talent we still have or replacing them with new talent and experience.

With a post like this (which seems to point to the absence of facts and evidence suggesting we are making positive progress) you are in danger of being labelled a doom-monger and pessimist by some posters on here.

I agree that its difficult to compare any two seasons.

If you look at how last season went then we were doing moderately well up until Christmas. We had a good little run of games. But then 2012 hit and it was catastrophic. Wolves and Fulham being the only wins. I think pretty much any season in our history would compare favourably with it.

I think we have improved a lot since the start of the season, but its telling that the 13 goals we have conceded in two away games have been against the very best. I expect a hammering at Old Trafford and the Emirates too.

Unless we improve the size, quality and know-how of the squad.

I think we will be in a better position after these two home games balance out our fixtures. In my opinion, I think we'll go to Swansea on 24 points, 9 ahead of Southampton and well clear of the drop. The two North East clubs have difficult fixtures today too.

January is going to be an exciting time I think, given the fixtures and chance to improve.

No, it's not - you just happen to agree with it as it coincides with your agenda.

The comparison of this season and last is futile in the extreme because we haven't played exactly the same games in the same order as we did last year - the stats are flawed so why bother using them?

What agenda?

Shit, I thought I'd entered the transfer speculation thread.... must have got confused... excuse me.

With transfer speculation currently surrounding the high scoring Morrison at Norwich then general rambling chit chat would seem a better option at present.

Shit, I thought I'd entered the transfer speculation thread.... must have got confused... excuse me.

Yeah, GTF out. This is the thread for proving we're dooooooooooooooooooooomed. AKA the Argument thread (five pounds for a single argument, but only eight pounds for a course of twelve).

there are no individual threads anymore. It is all melding into one big "we're shit and going down as lambert doesn't know what he is doing" v "we have been shit and it will take time to sort out we're on the right track and lambert is the right man for us" snorefest

With all of this happy talk,

As I said before Joleon Lescott as the Experiance in defense (assuming he will get over the sledge hammer to the knees rumor )

But we still need to replace Petrov... We need an older head in Midfield, do you think Ian Taylor would do a Scholes?

Its the middle where we need to be much much stronger. But Who is that player? Is there a new Michael Essien in Rochdale?

Creatively, Ireland should have more time in then park as well. But if there is ever a time for N'Zog to prove himself it's would be right now.

As someone who watches a great deal of Forest I can say this is one of the worst suggestions in the entire thread so far.

Just the 2 more for Sharp today. Has a work ethic that would fit Lamberts style.