January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

each club should just simply spend within their own capabilities, why try and break the bank to compete with chelsea? or why should chelsea be capped to match fulham for example, who no doubt have a smaller fan base and income

Yeah you clearly are as you appearing to be attempting to read my mind and doing a bad job of it.

I'll have you know that if I read your mind I'd do a damned good job of it. But I don't understand your position. You want a different owner, correct? And if, as you say, it's not in our interests to cap spending, you presumably expect some spending, which would have to come from the owner you want replaced. So either you DON'T want him replaced OR you fancy our chances of finding someone else with as much spare cash, OR there is a third way that you are hopefully about to explain.

But I don't understand your position. You want a different owner, correct? And if, as you say, it's not in our interests to cap spending, you presumably expect some spending, which would have to come from the owner you want replaced. So either you DON'T want him replaced OR you fancy our chances of finding someone else with as much spare cash, OR there is a third way that you are hopefully about to explain.

Well if you don't understand my position then ask mate, I'm happy to clarify I'd much rather than than people presume or second guess and put words in my mouth.

No I don't want a different owner, I don't recall ever having posted as such if I have I'd be surprised and it would likely have been in anger at one of our darker moments but still I'm not sure I've ever gone so far. I've been highly critical of Lerner, far more than most and certainly longer than all but one poster I can think of.

Being critical of someone isn't the same as wanting them replaced though. For instance I've been critical of some of Lambert's decisions and probably will be again in coming weeks but I still want him as our manager.

With Lerner my criticism is stronger and more long standing, I would say with good reason. I remain highly doubtful that he retains much in the way of ambition for us or if I'm honest anywhere near the same level of interest or commitment. All those things said I'm not foolish enough to think that there are some oil rich owners waiting to step in and do a Chelsea or Man City. I am realistic enough to know there are plenty of Carson Yeung type characters that could do far far far worse.

In my book Randy hasn't done a good job, he has made a bloody mess of things. His only saving graces for me are that I think he is a decent guy, well intentioned and someone who ethically at least will do or try to right by us as a club and fans. For those reasons I haven't to my memory ever called for him to go because we could do far far worse and are more likely to do worse than better.

So that is my stance on Lerner, but this should really be in the thread about him rather than this one.

As for my view on financial fair play, it is not in my view in our best interests whatever Lerner's intentions for this window or the future. Beyond that it doesn't mean anything else, my expectations in relation to spending are that we will only look to spend within our means or close too.

Well if you don't understand my position then ask mate, I'm happy to clarify I'd much rather than than people presume or second guess and put words in my mouth.

No I don't want a different owner, I don't recall ever having posted as such if I have I'd be surprised and it would likely have been in anger at one of our darker moments but still I'm not sure I've ever gone so far. I've been highly critical of Lerner, far more than most and certainly longer than all but one poster I can think of.

Being critical of someone isn't the same as wanting them replaced though. For instance I've been critical of some of Lambert's decisions and probably will be again in coming weeks but I still want him as our manager.

With Lerner my criticism is stronger and more long standing, I would say with good reason. I remain highly doubtful that he retains much in the way of ambition for us or if I'm honest anywhere near the same level of interest or commitment. All those things said I'm not foolish enough to think that there are some oil rich owners waiting to step in and do a Chelsea or Man City. I am realistic enough to know there are plenty of Carson Yeung type characters that could do far far far worse.

In my book Randy hasn't done a good job, he has made a bloody mess of things. His only saving graces for me are that I think he is a decent guy, well intentioned and someone who ethically at least will do or try to right by us as a club and fans. For those reasons I haven't to my memory ever called for him to go because we could do far far worse and are more likely to do worse than better.

So that is my stance on Lerner, but this should really be in the thread about him rather than this one.

As for my view on financial fair play, it is not in my view in our best interests whatever Lerner's intentions for this window or the future. Beyond that it doesn't mean anything else, my expectations in relation to spending are that we will only look to spend within our means or close too.

Ok. Agree with most of this. He has made some howlers alright. Personally I go easy on him because in the end I'm still glad he's the owner.

I suspect that PL would be able to spend more on transfer fees if he wanted, but that PL takes pride in not needing to ask for too much cash to work his miracles. Then again this is the first transfer window since the Browns were sold, so...

Pilkington I agree with, think we need to find the next Hoolahan though not the one that plays for Norwich.

Why would you not want the one who plays for Norwich?

I'd like the new Hoolahan as well as the Hoolahan because I think we could do with some of his expereince. I'm not one that thinks experience automatically equals quality but he seems to be someone who has a positive effect on his team-mates.

Why would you not want the one who plays for Norwich?

I'd like the new Hoolahan as well as the Hoolahan because I think we could do with some of his expereince. I'm not one that thinks experience automatically equals quality but he seems to be someone who has a positive effect on his team-mates.

Because he is 31 years old in May.

Because he is 31 years old in May.

Yeah, I know what you're saying, It's a good idea to build a whole squad that grows together.

I just feel we're missing a leading experienced player who knows when to rally people up but can also be a calming influence, someone who can help build and contribute to solid attacks.

I still feel Lambert didn't buy a second choice to Dempsey, so that type of transfer could be made in January. But who knows, maybe Lambert wasn't planning on a 'Dempsey type' but saw the transfer option as too good a bargain to turn down.