General England thread

kurtsimonw

Mantis, I've said he's a pragmatic football manager, he's nowhere near as anti football as the likes of Big sam and McLeish.

It's a bit like saying Lambert is an exponent of free flowing attacking football on the back of the 6-1 Sunderland game when all the rubbish home matches since point to the opposite...

Put together a season review of us this season and WBA in 11/12 and Fulham in 08/09 and you'd see very little difference.

Mantis, I've said he's a pragmatic football manager, he's nowhere near as anti football as the likes of Big sam and McLeish.

It's a bit like saying Lambert is an exponent of free flowing attacking football on the back of the 6-1 Sunderland game when all the rubbish home matches since point to the opposite...

Put together a season review of us this season and WBA in 11/12 and Fulham in 08/09 and you'd see very little difference.

Lambert is a pragmatist, but I fail to see how Hodgson is. His teams always play turgid defensive football.

Apparently Zaha is now in contention for the World Cup squad. Based on what? He's done **** all this season. Hodgson really is a **** clueless fool.

He mentioned him but i think Zaha has a lot to do to get in contention. 

to be fair he's said that the 3 are in contention, sterling, johnson and zaha

i agree im not sure why zaha is seeing as he's only just started playing and isnt in form but you cant argue with the other 2

but i also think sterling is too young / raw and needs experience at european football, can see an Italian wing back eating him alive, and also maybe this comment from roy means he sees chamberlain and townsend playing in the middle, which i think is good news

Edited by villa4europe

Hodgson at Villa would be disaster in universal proportions. I saw him in charge of Finland where he got nickname Roy "0-0" Hodgson which is very fitting, and everywhere I've seen him since haven't made me change my mind.

Hodgson at Villa would be disaster in universal proportions. I saw him in charge of Finland where he got nickname Roy "0-0" Hodgson which is very fitting, and everywhere I've seen him since haven't made me change my mind.

It's Finland, what was he supposed to do? Most managers would be negative if they had inferior players.

It's Finland, what was he supposed to do? Most managers would be negative if they had inferior players.

kind of answers the question with what he'd do at villa...

and is doing with england

It was by three points and the goal difference. He played with very negative tactics even against teams who were inferior of us, which he was rightly criticized for in finland. Went to play for 0-0 draw against Armenia and Azerbaijan for **** sake. He probably had our best team with the exception of the qualification to 1998 world cup when we lost the chance to play against Yugoslavia in the playoff by losing to Hungary with the last minute goal.

Now with Mixu Paatelainen we play much better football (and it actually looks like football) and we have actually gotten some good results against superior sides, like 1-1 against Spain in away game, we still played counter attacking style but at least we tried to nick it opposed to just sitting back and hoping for 0-0 draw.

I have never seen Hodgson's teams play anything else than very boring negative defensive tactics even when they've been against worse sides, don't understand why he doesn't get much more stick for it.

Hopefully we get much better luck with the qualification lottery than in before, finns had no chance of getting through with france and spain in the same group.

He probably had our best team with the exception of the qualification to 1998 world cup when we lost the chance to play against Yugoslavia in the playoff by losing to Hungary with the last minute goal.

if i remember Hungary lost something liek 12-0 on aggregate that time. probably best you missed that playoff

I think your best team was in the early 2000s when the likes of Hyppia, Litmanen, Jussi were all in their late 20s as opposed to their late 30s as in what Woy had. Forssell also wasn't a crock back then. I remember they gave England a couple of decent games in qualifying for world cup 2002 but were never a threat to qualify in that group.

I don't recall Finland coming as close to a major tournament as euro 2008 apart from that France 98 example so I'd say for a very small nation being defensive and nicking the game is the best way to go.

To be fair I don't think that's an entirely bad idea. We could probably do with a sports psychologist for our home form as well.

Of course, Hodgson is all about negative football so perhaps a great emphasis on winning these ties would be better, but it's not like England not being able to win in normal time is anything new.

Edited by Mantis

Â