April Jones

PieFacE

I live very near Machynlleth and although I don't know the people personally, I am picking up a lot of gossip. Apparently, Bridger and the parent's know each other, and there is a history of much animosity between them. And that's why the Police were looking for him. Seems a huge leap from one thing to another to me. So I think there is a lot more going on in this case, then the details they are releasing.

Don't they live in a rural area? Things might be more relaxed there.

These preditors are clever, they know that going into a big area they would be caught on CCTV so going to places like that are would be attractive.

Anyway, with her condition and age what was she doing out in the dark!

In defense of the parents i would say the following. As a child I would have been allowed to play outside my house at that age. I would have been amongst friends, cousins etc and have been taught to not speak to strangers. The dangers were not thought to exist back then as they may not in this little village. What seems an alien decision to us, maybe perfectly normal to the people that live there, though i suspect not anymore.

Similarly as a parent it is not possible to keep track of your child all of the time. I lose track of how many times he has run off from me in the supermarket or the time i realised he could now unlock our front door and had let himself out while I was making a cup of tea in the kitchen. My lads only 2, I dread to think about keeping up with him when he 5.

Those things aside I wouldnt let my boy play outside on his own.

He's connected to the family.

His daughter was friends with April.

There are also rumours and I stress these are Internet rumours around him being in some sort of relationship with the mother. I've no idea how accurate this info is.

My kids are about that age, a real nightmare for any parent I cannot begin to think what they are going through. Have to say if someone had taken my kid I wouldn't like to think of my actions

I've spent a lot of time in that part of the world, so know Machynlleth pretty well. It is quite rural, the town is tiny and is surrounded by countryside dotted with very small hamlets and solitary farm houses. Until you start getting towards Aberystwyth/Borth/Aberdovey theres really not much around there, besides hills and sheep and forest and rivers and marsh, it's a surprisingly isolated part of the world. If the Dovey is in flood they believe the body was dumped they will probably end up looking towards the Dovey Estuary proper. I would not be surprised if they never found a body.

Kids being out and about in Mach isn't unusual. It's a town based around 2 roads, really, and you could walk from one end of the town to the other in 5 minutes with ease. Kids roam around there constantly, and there are always people about, as it is one of those small communities where you'lll pop round the neighbours to see if they want anything from the chippy or the Co-Op. It's just a tragic moment, there are people with kids in Mach who would have roamed the town as kids like they let their kids do now, and nothing ever happened. In fairness, Mach is one of those places where nothing ever happens anyway.

I found it quite interesting that, seemingly without all that much to go on (that we know of) they announced who they had arrested and revealed pictures.

It should be hard, though not impossible. After all, saying that you killed someone doesn't actually mean you did it; unless it's a kangaroo court.

I dunno. I'm only responding to the fact that they'd try to convict him without a body. You'd imagine in the absence of a body, the only reason they would possibly try to convict someone is if they confessed to it; and even then, that's not exactly proof.

It should be hard, though not impossible. After all, saying that you killed someone doesn't actually mean you did it; unless it's a kangaroo court.

With what evidence could you convict with though?

its would be circumstantial evidence at best, unless they found her blood on something he owned (which it doesn't seem they have).

Even if he had motive, was on that street at that time, was seen at the river walking, none of that is hard evidence.

I think he'll get away with it (if it is him).

The only thing the authorities have been clear about with this entire case is that they do not want any details surrounding it being leaked. Now that's not unusual, every case demands this, but I don't remember another time where so little was known about a crime (all we know is a little girl vanished in a small rural Welsh town and they arrested a chap who happens to own a car that possibly matched a description given by another child of the car the little girl got into) and where the police have so clearly stated 'Do not threaten the course of justice by revealing anything to the press'.

I suspect there is a lot more behind this than has come to light - they released the picture and details of Mark Bridger exceptionally quickly, and they are being extremely careful about what is revealed about the case. There was some talk that they had found some evidence of the girl in his Land Rover, but that appears to have fairly quickly drowned beneath other elements of the story. It's not impossible to convict for murder without a body, but it would require more evidence than the public is aware of.

As said before, I would not be surprised if a body never arose. If the body was dumped in the Dovey, in flood, it could well be in the Irish sea by now. The search will move away from Machynlleth soon imo, heading towards the Dovey Estuary proper, Ynyslas and Aberdovey.

@ender4, yeah DNA evidence. It would need a lot more than an admission. I agree with Chindie above though. It's safe to say the police already know a lot more about this than they are releasing - and rightly so.

The police will know pretty quickly in cases like this. I know from a police officer friend that in the Soham case they had established very early on it was Ian Huntley but were biding their time, monitoring him and Carr whilst gathering more evidence.

Â